ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 03-06-14, 05:37 AM

jvink_nz is on a distinguished road
Law student adhd

Hi everyone

Please feel welcome to post what you want or your opinions under my thread, any feedback and especially advice is more then appreciated!

I have recently started doing my law degree...

I have been told by a few Drs that maybe I shouldn't which is a little upsetting. Thankfully I have a DR who has ADHD and told me "F**k them I'm a DR now"

I'm really interested in my studies and have awesome resources avail to me, e.g note takers for my lectures, reader writers for my exams, extensions on my stuff.

I was wanting to know if anyone else on here is in the same or similar boat with study, even school work if you're not at uni yet.

Would love some tips on how to keep going strong at it, keeping self esteem high, and keeping happy and motivated.

If anyone else has issues they would like to discuss regarding any type of study please do post it, or if you have any tips. Would be cool to give some advice as well as take it!

JV
The Following User Says Thank You to jvink_nz For This Useful Post:
Mr. Guy (03-06-14)
Old 03-06-14, 06:13 AM

jvink_nz is on a distinguished road
Re: Law student adhd

8 views and no replies, someone must have something, even small to say :P
Old 03-06-14, 07:40 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,265 Times in 8,598 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

I will be very honest with you. I graduated law and fiscal law, so yes it can be done but it is brutally difficult and you need to be in a position to have more than the allotted time available.
And please be sure to take any and all accommodations you can get your hands on. I didnt(cause I did not even know what was wrong) and I paid dearly.
datajunkie (03-16-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-14, 04:19 PM

Chickadee85 is on a distinguished road

I don't think it's about whether or not you are capable of doing it. It sounds like you believe that you can. My only advice is that you make sure you know what you're getting into once you go into the field. I would say that if you haven't already, make sure you acquire some experience working with someone that is doing the job you intend to do.
Old 03-06-14, 06:22 PM

Mr. Guy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvink_nz View Post
"F**k them I'm a DR now"
Hahahahaha! That's all you really need to know.
Old 03-11-14, 06:31 PM

turbowned is on a distinguished road

I am a medical student with inattentive type ADHD.

For me personally, medical school has really been more about finding a method of studying that works best for me. Once you find a method that works for you, you will be amazed at what you can accomplish. Do not give up on your goal of law school so quickly based on ADHD alone. Keep experimenting with your studying techniques and habits.

Finding the right medication can be very important as well. I was started on concert, then tried long-acting Adderall, short-acting Adderall, and I am now on Desoxyn, which is very expensive, short acting, but it works extremely well! Don't forget about therapy for your ADHD.

Don't get down on your self for small failures, learn from them! Keep refining who you are and who you want to be. If you have any questions, PM me. Hang in there!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turbowned For This Useful Post:
JavaJunkie37 (03-20-14), ToneTone (03-16-14), vpilar (04-17-14)
Old 03-15-14, 10:12 PM
Contributor

USMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvink_nz View Post
Hi everyone

Please feel welcome to post what you want or your opinions under my thread, any feedback and especially advice is more then appreciated!

I have recently started doing my law degree...

I have been told by a few Drs that maybe I shouldn't which is a little upsetting. Thankfully I have a DR who has ADHD and told me "F**k them I'm a DR now"

I'm really interested in my studies and have awesome resources avail to me, e.g note takers for my lectures, reader writers for my exams, extensions on my stuff.

I was wanting to know if anyone else on here is in the same or similar boat with study, even school work if you're not at uni yet.

Would love some tips on how to keep going strong at it, keeping self esteem high, and keeping happy and motivated.

If anyone else has issues they would like to discuss regarding any type of study please do post it, or if you have any tips. Would be cool to give some advice as well as take it!

JV
ADD-ers are some of the best lawyers, especially trial attorney's.
Old 03-16-14, 05:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

datajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmccop View Post
ADD-ers are some of the best lawyers, especially trial attorney's.
and your evidence for this is based on what?
Old 03-16-14, 06:38 PM

ADHD21 is on a distinguished road

My friend's dad is a very successful lawyer who has ADHD. I think you can be successful as long as you find ways to keep yourself interested and motivated. I need to actively find ways to motivate myself...but the prospect of motivating myself is indeed hard to motivate myself to do haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHD21 For This Useful Post:
vpilar (04-17-14)
Old 03-16-14, 10:14 PM
Contributor

USMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of lightUSMCcop is a glorious beacon of light

There's plenty of evidence. ADD-ers excel at solving complex problems, excel in high stress, stress careers, are creative. We pay attention and perceive details others don't. The list goes on and on. The reason is we adapt and overcome without knowing it- if not treated as a child. The diagnosis/condition should not be used as an excuse but a reason for success.

See http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/features/positives

And

People with ADHD have a tremendous power to connect with other people. But it goes a step further than that. We also have an advanced ability to empathize with others, and to see many different perspectives. It’s easy for us to put ourselves “in someone else’s shoes” and to understand where they’re coming from.
Creativity
I’ve never met an ADHDer who wasn’t creative! Writers, painters, musicians, film makers, designers, sculptors, comedians – the list goes on! Artistic talents are abundant. Composers Mozart and Beethoven are believed to have had ADHD*.
Drive
When an ADHDer is bored with a task, completing it can seem like torture. But give us an interesting project to work on and watch out! When we want to succeed, and we have the necessary tools to do so, there is no stopping us!
Problem Solving Ability
ADHDers thrive on solving problems and puzzles. Give us an interesting problem to solve and we won’t be able to drop it until we’ve found the solution! Inventor Thomas Edison is believed to have had ADHD.*
Hyper-Focus
The ability to hyper-focus is something that we can use to our advantage. When kept under control and directed towards productive tasks, like accomplishing goals and living dreams, it can be an incredible asset that allows us to get the job done, and done well!
Sense of Humor/Comedic Flair
Most ADHDers love to laugh, and many also have a knack for making others laugh! I’m always amazed and pleasantly surprised to find my clients cracking me up on our coaching calls. Famous comedians such as Whoopi Goldberg and Robin Williams are rumored to have ADHD.*
Resiliency
There’s no denying that even though there are many great qualities that come along with ADHD, there are also challenges. But ADHDers have an incredible ability to bounce back from those challenges and to keep moving forward.
Intuition
ADHDers have a sharp sense of intuition. This may be due to highly tuned levels of perception, or great insight into the human mind, or something else that we have yet to understand. Whatever the reason, it’s a very useful gift!
Idea Generating
ADHDers are wonderful idea generators. We don’t usually like to be bothered with details, but we can come up with ideas at lightning speed! We’re a true asset in brainstorming meetings.
That “Special Something”
Many ADHDers feel that they have a unique way of looking at the world, a perspective that others just don’t understand. That is, until the ADHDer meets other people with ADHD! You might say that we’re on our own wavelength! That’s one of the reasons why it’s so important that connect with each other on a regular basis for support and inspiration.
The Following User Says Thank You to USMCcop For This Useful Post:
vpilar (04-17-14)
Old 03-18-14, 07:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

datajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to all

There are plenty of AD/HD'ers who succeed brilliantly. But how much of that is due to being the ones at the high end of the IQ and EQ scale with other genetic and environmental factors that optimized their overall ability? With 5% of the adult population likely affected, how many of those did not reach their full potential due to the AD/HD?

To be convincing in your logic, the only strong evidence I'd accept is long term identical twin studies with 1 twin not dx'd. I've read that about 50% of identical twins are not affected, at least not enough to be dx'd and another source said closer to 80% had both twins affected. So perhaps 20% of adult identical twins have an affected sibling but are not considered AD/HD. I'd bet a big chunk of change that twin has the 'gifts', at least to some noticeable degree with little or less of the burden. If there is a large number of the affected twin being more successful, creative, etc. over the unaffected or even a less affected twin, this might be evidence that AD/HD itself has 'gifts' not achievable without its peculiarities of brain activity, NT levels and such.

To make your case in front of a judge that a lot of top attorneys have AD/HD, I'd expect the judge to want to see data on which attorneys win most cases and which of those are dx'd. Is it higher than the 5% of the normal population?

I do know of some poets and authors of fiction who are AD/HD and claim to do better work when not taking their meds. But is this due to the effect of the med normalizing their brain directly or perhaps some side effect such as a metabolite of the med? Again, twin studies with both twins engaging in similar behaviors is the only real info I can think would be conclusive. I also know writes and poets as well as musicians, artists and others in 'problem solving' situations who believe they do better work when they have had a drink or two or using other mind altering substances--in the states or countries where they are legal of course.

With bipolar spectrum disorder, there appears to be evidence that close relatives may have the benefits of some degree of monopolar mania, the high drive, that does make them highly successful without the swings or the monopolar low. And some who have the monopolar low which I don't recall reading had any boon described. It was well over 7 years ago I read the book this was described in.

Temple Grandin mentioned that there is a statistically notable incidence of autistics having a male relative, I think she said uncles were most often the case, having engineering degrees. http://www.iidc.indiana.edu/index.php?pageId=598
http://spectrum.ieee.org/biomedical/...ers-and-autism last one states engineers twice as likely to have autistic children. This part is interesting not only for the info but the 'family' the science researcher and comedian Baron-Cohen brothers. >> The author of the theory, Simon Baron-Cohen, a professor of developmental psycho*pathology at the University of Cambridge, argues that in generations past, engineers, mathematicians, and other systemizers had little opportunity to meet potential spouses who thought as they did. Now, however, schools and professions sort both sexes by psychological types, raising the chances that people of like minds will marry and bear children. Baron-Cohen, cousin to comic actor Sacha Baron ´╗'Cohen, says that such ”assortative mating” is concentrating the genes that predispose to systemizing thought. That, in turn, ought to be increasing the likelihood of having a child with the most extreme systemizing: autism.
He notes that engineers are twice as likely as others to have autistic children, and that in general, the relatives of autistic people tend to score above the average on tests of systemizing. An unusual number fall on the ”autistic spectrum,” which includes conditions such as Asperger’s syndrome, a disorder that can leave children isolated, if not actually disabled. Yet even Asperger’s may not constitute a true handicap, because it is so often accompanied by countervailing powers—sometimes even by genius. Newton and Einstein have been cited as possible examples. <<<

Is their brilliance due to good genes from brilliant parents? There may indeed be some link with brilliance and instability due to AD/HD, autism, schizophrenia in SOME individuals but I suspect the numbers of affecteds who are more hindered by it is higher than those helped. The subset of 'boon' smaller than the larger set of affected.

Human evolution is about population genetics and survival of the group at large. Having a small percent of highly successful individuals who help the group survive may be worth the rest who either are a drain or no more or less successful than the norm. By worth I am not implying any intent, merely the net effect of who reproduces and overall population success. In social animals about 20% are more highly reactive to stimuli than the rest. These are the baboons, elephants, antelope or lions that first detect both danger and opportunity. Good for the group but can take a toll on the individual as they are more often in a state of arousal. This 20% also has a spectrum of highly reactive to slightly more reactive than the norm. The group needs this fraction of the population to survive well.

So do you have evidence of overall benefit to the majority of AD/HD affecteds? I also know quite a few truly brilliant, creative and successful people who show the gifts I associate with AD/HD but not the frustrating aspects. The brainstorming, creativity, energy, but they have more control over when, where and with whom they apply the gifts.
Old 03-18-14, 07:47 PM
Contributor

I'm not sure there is any scientific evidence regarding your question, but it is generally accepted by experts in ADHD practice to the aforesaid. We're resilient, have better perceptions, etc. The condition causes us to adapt and overcome.

True, generalities do not always apply.
Old 03-19-14, 08:19 PM
Contributor

This is an excerpt from writings by Dr. Dobson, an ADHD expert. I have an appointment with him next week as Kaiser has no idea what they're doing in regard to ADD med dosage.

Here is how Dr. William Dodson, one of Denver's paragons in the treatment of ADHD, explains this in his upcoming book:

It seems odd to call a condition a disorder when it usually conveys so many positive features. There is mounting evidence that, on average, people with ADHD nervous systems have higher IQ's than Neurotypicals (see Horrigan's work in the section on "impediments to diagnosis"). People with ADHD-style nervous systems tend to be great problem solvers. They are able to wade in to problems that have stumped everyone else and jump right to the answer. They tend to be affable, likable people with a zany sense of humor. They also have what Paul Wender [1] referred to as "relentless determination." When they finally do get hooked into a challenge, they pursue it with one approach after another until they master the problem (although then they may drop it entirely when it ceases to pose a challenge). If I could choose the qualities that would assure a person's success in life, I would chose being bright, I would want to be creative about how I used that intelligence, I would want to be well liked, and I would want to be hardworking and diligent. These are very valuable traits that, luckily, are not diminished when the ADHD is treated.

This is not meant to inflate ADHD as a gift, nor to deny its challenging nature as an empirical disorder. In fact, at the most recent CHADD National Conference (November 2011), one of the most august researchers, Dr. Russell Barkley and one of the most august clinicians, Dr. Ned Hallowell, closed the conference with a keynote presentation where they addressed the way many in the ADHD community have inflated ADHD. While they didn't totally pathologize it, their critical distinction was between treated and untreated ADHD. Untreated ADHD will more likely than not dominate a persons life as a compromising disorder. Treated, a person's fullest capacities as outlined above by Dr. Dodson have a chance to be revealed and serve to actualize their life. Clearly, however, neuroscience has come to the rescue of such a large percentage of the population who share this diversity of neurology that our neuroscience researchers, clinicians and ADHD coaches serve not only struggling individuals with ADHD, but a society too long deprived of their great talents.
Old 03-20-14, 12:51 AM

JavaJunkie37 is just really niceJavaJunkie37 is just really niceJavaJunkie37 is just really niceJavaJunkie37 is just really nice

My favorite helping tool so far - PearNote (I have a macbook for school work). It lets me record the prof while I take notes (so I catch what I miss if I zone out, etc), can also be integrated with slides and video recording. The ODA guy called the basic idea of it 'smart taping'.

As someone said above, it really comes down to finding a study method that works for you. I haven't found that yet haha, but I am still working on it.
ôLife is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be attained.ö - Marie Curie
Old 04-17-14, 05:50 PM
Contributor

FroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to all

I'm going to assume you've already read thru some law textbooks. It's a lot of reading and it could get really boring but if you're up for it then do it!

My mom got her law degree. She holed up in her room for weeks at a time. She's add but she's a voracious reader.

The only suggestion I would have is to ask yourself if you really are 100% invested in this. If you're doing it for any reason other than craving it for what it is, and not status or paycheck or whatever then do it. If you're doing it because you just love it that much then nothing will stand in your way.
ADHD/Combined... dx'd at 42 Possibly Aspergers