ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you think your ADD/ADHD makes you better at some things than those without it?
We are the next stage of Evolution! I feel sorry for all those normies. 5 38.46%
I think it breaks even. I am better at some things but make up for it by being really bad at other things. 5 38.46%
It is hard for me to say, I\\\'m not sure. 2 15.38%
Get the noose out from around my neck! 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-03, 09:32 AM
Contributor

MightyMouse is on a distinguished road
Cool MightyMouse from Atlanta, GA USA

Hello everyone. I found your forum while cruisin' the net and I think it is awesome! I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 12, but my mom would not let the family doctor put me on meds and she never told me about my diagnosis until I was rediagnosed at the age of 20. So, to make a long, painful story short - too late, right? - I went through the majority of my teen years struggling with why I couldn't sit still and do well in class. I flunked out of college before my doctor figured out what was wrong. The good news is that once I knew I had ADHD I was able to work around it. I have since graduated with two Bachelors and am now in a dual masters program. I am also trying to setup a program that reaches out specifically to ADD/ADHD kids and adults to help them learn to cope with the symptoms and stresses of having ADD/ADHD.

Most people feel their is something "wrong" with them because they have ADD/ADHD, but quite frankly if I did not have ADHD I don't think I could have done what I have. If you learn to work with it properly it can actually help you. My "high energy" helps me to run circles around people several years yonger than me. And here is a positive tidbit of statistics for all you ADD/ADHD'ers out their: the average IQ of someone with ADD/ADHD is 130 to 145. That is 50 to 65 points above the normal intelligence range!!! Think about it!! ADD/ADHD'er rule!!!

'Ich bin nie anderen Menschen zu messen genesen' - it has never been possible to measure me in terms of other human beings. - Else Lasker-Shuler

Genius is mainly an affair of energy - Matthew Arnold
Old 08-05-03, 09:53 AM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
Welcome MightyMouse to the Forums....I voted on your poll...and think we are better at some things while linear thinkiers (Garry's words) are better at others....I think the answer lies in where each of us is with our own ADD...that's where I am with mine....for me it's a curse and a blessing....congrats on those 2 Bachelors and the courage and willingness to go forward with your life and get your Masters. Your positive energy is remarkable and admirable....Please keep posting here.....

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 08-05-03, 11:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Welcome to ADD Forums!!!
Old 08-07-03, 03:24 PM
Contributor

Thumbs up Thankyou Joanrdtobe

Thank you for your comments and for voting in my poll. I think you are right about a lot of things depending on where people are. That is why I am trying to setup a program that help people understand 'where they are' and 'where they could be'. Living with ADHD is hard, but too many times people focus totally on the negative aspects or their situation (ADD/ADHD is not a 'disorder' because they would imply that their is a 'correct order'- which we all know isn't true). In my experience, I have fould that people want to make us feel that their is something wrong with us so that they can feel better about themselves. I just don't allow them to do it. Their insecurities are their problem, not mine. I am different and do things in a different way and have found that when I do them at my pace and in my way 90% of the time I do them better than the so-called "normal" person. We have a strength and we need to learn to use it instead of being so upset about our weaknesses. To paraphrase an aphorism " show me someone with no faults and failures and I will show you someone with no life and accomplishments".

Thanks for the comments and warm welcome. you guys have a very good board going here and I look forward to contributing as often as I can.

MightMouse

'Ich bin nie anderen Menschen zu messen genesen' - it has never been possible to measure me in terms of other human beings. - Else Lasker-Shuler

Old 08-07-03, 03:25 PM
Contributor

Exclamation Re: Thankyou Joanrdtobe

Sorry LivingwithADD. Thank you as well for the warm welcome!!

Quote:
Originally posted by MightyMouse
Thank you for your comments and for voting in my poll. I think you are right about a lot of things depending on where people are. That is why I am trying to setup a program that help people understand 'where they are' and 'where they could be'. Living with ADHD is hard, but too many times people focus totally on the negative aspects or their situation (ADD/ADHD is not a 'disorder' because they would imply that their is a 'correct order'- which we all know isn't true). In my experience, I have fould that people want to make us feel that their is something wrong with us so that they can feel better about themselves. I just don't allow them to do it. Their insecurities are their problem, not mine. I am different and do things in a different way and have found that when I do them at my pace and in my way 90% of the time I do them better than the so-called "normal" person. We have a strength and we need to learn to use it instead of being so upset about our weaknesses. To paraphrase an aphorism " show me someone with no faults and failures and I will show you someone with no life and accomplishments".

Thanks for the comments and warm welcome. you guys have a very good board going here and I look forward to contributing as often as I can.

MightMouse

Old 08-07-03, 11:59 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,038 Times in 577 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the ADD Forums!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 08-08-03, 01:11 AM

Garry has disabled reputation
I do not have ADD
I do not have a disease

I am ADD

And I love it

Grin

Quote:
I am also trying to setup a program that reaches out specifically to ADD/ADHD kids and adults to help them learn to cope with the symptoms and stresses of having ADD/ADHD.
I take a very positive veiw to my ADDed ADDvantageous and I also am working on getting the word out up here in Canada.

Maybe we can exchange ideas sometime

And Welcome to the forums

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Old 08-08-03, 10:30 AM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
Mightymouse: My comment to you since this is your introductions thread is I think you are a breath of fresh air. From some of your other posts, you sound very empowering.....thanks for being here....

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 08-12-03, 03:41 PM
Contributor

I would just like to take the opportunity to thank everyone - especially the 2 people who chose the fist choice on my poll . I love it!!!! - for such a warm and comforting welcome. I am just so happy to see that their are places like this that us who live with AD/HD can go to and find such wonderful and supporting people. Although I am appreciative of the comments made by Joanrdtobe, i am not the "breath of fresh air" here this forum is. It gives a chance for those of us with AD/HD to have a place to catch our breath and sit in the presence of a caring community.

Thank you -am I am being presumptuous here - to all the moderators and admins that keep this site going and foster the community, from all of the members.

MightyMouse

Old 08-12-03, 03:43 PM
Contributor

Here! Here!

You have given words to the very essence of my feelings.

MightyMouse

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Lawton
I do not have ADD
I do not have a disease

I am ADD

And I love it

Grin

I take a very positive veiw to my ADDed ADDvantageous and I also am working on getting the word out up here in Canada.

Maybe we can exchange ideas sometime

And Welcome to the forums

Old 08-12-03, 05:36 PM
Contributor

to clear up confustion Re: Here! Here!

To make sure there is not any confusion. I am not responding to my own post, but the post that I am quoting in this reply.

Quote:
You have given words to the very essence of my feelings.

MightyMouse

Old 08-12-03, 05:49 PM
Forum Guru

smooch has disabled reputation
Lightbulb Your program

Quote:
I think you are right about a lot of things depending on where people are. That is why I am trying to setup a program that help people understand 'where they are' and 'where they could be'. Living with ADHD is hard, but too many times people focus totally on the negative aspects or their situation (ADD/ADHD is not a 'disorder' because they would imply that their is a 'correct order'- which we all know isn't true).
MightMouse
Welcome, MM!!!

Gonna be fun havin' you around!

Your program sounds exactly like what I'm trying to get involved in--that's the ideal job for me--helping folks understand where they are and where they could be, in addition to helping them to learn about and accept themselves and the GIFTS that come along with ADHD!

PLEASE remember me as you are putting your program in the works. I want to help in whatever capacity I can....
Old 08-12-03, 05:50 PM
Forum Guru

smooch has disabled reputation
oops.

forgot to vote the first time around! can't imagine being a "normie"
Old 08-12-03, 10:03 PM
Contributor

thanks. I will definitely keep you in mind. I have a small scale program going in atlanta now as a graduate project, but I hope to have it continue and expand it to a larger scale after school.

Old 08-13-03, 12:58 PM

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
Welcome !!

I love your Mightymouse but I have one problem with it. After posting I hear in my head all day.............

Here I come to save the day !... lol... I loved that show as a kid !

Paula