ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Exercise
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-03, 06:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Dore Achievement Centers

The local Boston News just did a piece on Dore Achievement Centers http://www.dorecenters.com/.

They have some sort of exercise program that is supposed to help people with AD/HD and other LDs.

Quote:
Dore Achievement Centers' individualized exercise programs are aimed at minimizing or eliminating Cerebellar Developmental Delay (CDD), the likely cause of many learning disabilities.
They also interviewed a medical professional from Mass General Hospital who said that the AD/HD and the other LDs didn't have anything to do with that part of the brain.

The News also said the the program runs about $2800 and usually takes about a year.
Old 08-16-03, 08:44 PM

Alfred Mann is on a distinguished road
Angry Dore Achievement Centers

As I dug into the DDAT, Dore website, I read some research that was published about their program. What was interesting, was that the research gave credit to something called The Learning Breakthrough Program as the basis for the development of the exercises you mentioned. As I kept digging around the web, I found the site www.learningbreakthrough.com.

From what I read, users with ADD/ADHD may find it beneficial because it's use puts demands on the balance system and as you reach higher levels of balance, you must react faster. (Increased brain reaction time is one of the effects of stimulant drug therapy (Ritalin)). It seems this Learning Breakthrough Program has been around for many years and has been used to help improve cognitive performance and that attentional benefits may have come unintentionally. The learning breakthrough website appears to be very realistic, not making wild claims as I saw on the Dore site. And the program costs only $319, a whole lot less than the $2800 you mentioned.

I would check this out. Sounds like the Dore group has taken this program and turned it into a medical venture, treating a never heard of condition called"Cerebellar Development Delay" CDD. I guess that is their theory. Maybe that is why it iso costly.
Old 08-16-03, 08:47 PM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
According to Dr. Amen any sort of regular workout program will be beneficial to people with ADD anyways...
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-03, 10:41 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
That's been my experience....I walk or swim 5 to 6 times per week....(of course Florida humidty has forced me to go mall walking)....and my head and brain feel clearer as a result....and I feel less nuts and crazy....and a bit more motivated and focussed....

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 08-20-03, 05:10 PM

freestyler is on a distinguished road
Not having done exorbitant amounts of research on the subject, I can't really comment on the DORE program. it does sound too costly, not for me. As you mention a good workout is always good, especially for people with ADD. Now how is this DORE program so closely related to Biofeedback. I don't see any support for that on any of these forums. Can someone guide me???? Keep up the good work.
Old 08-20-03, 06:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

healthwiz will become famous soon enough
The learning breakthrough program that you mention sounds like it overlaps on the same idea of IM therapy, which is creating better timing, and thus faster and more accurate reaction times...... and they claim the IM patients are getting excellent results, so this is very interesting, that two modes of therapy, operating from different techniques and slightlyt different exercises, both result in increased brain processing speed, and both focus on reaction time. There may be something to this, and 300 bucks sounds reasonable - i'm going to check it. To me, any amoutn sounds reasonable if it is effective, considering how much probable income loss is involved with not functioning at or near ones potential best.

On the other hand, don't take this as an invitation to rip off people with ADD who are sincerely looking for answers. I still want to get everything for as low as or as reasonable a price as feasible, especially since many people with ADD don't have the big bucks and need their treatments to be within reason on price.

Jon

"Don't let the diagnosis buckle you at the knees." (me).

"It ain't what ya don't know what gits ya inter trouble-- t's tha stuff ya know fer sure what ain't so!" Artemus Ward, written about a century ago.

"Rescue us, oh ADD angel, if you exist - from the attention by those who seek to limit us from our own unlimitations, who bind us in straw nots with arguments that hold no hay!" (me)
Old 08-21-03, 07:31 AM

Alfred Mann is on a distinguished road
Here is some very specific information regarding the question of BIOFEEDBACK. I sent a question asking about biofeedback to the folks at www.learningbreakthrough.com and here is the response I recieved. I will warn you, it took me a few times of reading it through to really understand as it was a little confusing at first. If you have an interest in biofeedback this may be of interest.

"To understand the comments that follow, you need to visualize the activity being described. One would be standing on a blance board that has grid lines on it to allow precise symetrical positioning of your feet. The pendulum ball is a a rubber ball the size of a baseball attached to a string that would be hanging from the ceiling directly in front of you as you stand on the balance board. It can freely swing as you tap it and try to make it go where you want. The ball is affixed in a way that it never gets tangled. It acts as a true pendulum. Instructions for the activity might say something like "hit the ball with the back of your right hand and make it go in a counter=clockwise direction, then when it comes back, hit it with the back of your left hand and make it go in a clockwise direction and continue in that fashion (or you may be hitting it over a target that sits on a stand) The exercise and equipment are both part of The Learning Breakthrough Program.

The activities in the Learning Breakthrough are probably some of the most powerful biofeedback activities that you can perform. Standing balanced and centered on the Balance Board used with the program aligns the body and brain with the gravitational field. Precisely controlling the trajectories of the pendulum ball involves cortical, visual and motor processes, vestibular and cerebellar processes, and the antigravity reflex systems.

You see the ball orbiting through space. You track it and predict when and where you must intercept it. You determine the exact amount of force and the direction in which the force must be applied to change the present trajectory to the trajectory the ball must travel to reach your target. You act. You track the ball to your target. If the ball goes where you want it to go the case is closed. If you miss your target you review the entire sequence. You must remember what your originally saw, review what you planned, and review what you actually did. You equate this to what happened and determine what elements in the sequence must be modified to gain proper control of the pendulum for the next try.

This activity involves precise timing and the coordinated functioning of many brain areas. It is as elegant a biofeedback activity as you can find.

It is the essence of the Learning Breakthrough Program. In the Learning Breakthrough you can precisely adjust the precision demanded by or the difficulty level of the activities."
Old 08-21-03, 11:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

SOunds very interesting and again, goes back to improving response speed and accuracy to a stimuls involving timing. I believe the IM Therapy uses visual cues on screen of computer, so again, combining physical response to a visual and auditory stimulus.....this is about cognitive exercise requiring physical movement. A friend cured his son of a learning problem many years ago by attending an institute of cognitive development, in Pennsylvania somewhere, and attended two weeks of training, in order to learn how to physically train his son in order to improve the brain development in the areas that were diagnosed to be lacking. The kid started getting straight A's 2 years later, but it involved building a literal gym in the man's house, the mother quitting her job and staying home to do the exercises with the child for hours each day. But it worked!! So this appraoch of using physical development to be a catalyst for cognitive development is not new, and sounds more and more interesting.

Jonathan

"It ain't what ya don't know what gits ya inter trouble-- t's tha stuff ya know fer sure what ain't so!" Artemus Ward, written about a century ago.

"Rescue us, oh ADD angel, if you exist - from the attention by those who seek to limit us from our own unlimitations, who bind us in straw nots with arguments that hold no hay!" (me)
Old 08-21-03, 12:20 PM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
With effort like that put into it, while it is good to see that it worked, it seems to me like there MUST be an easier way to improve.

Do any of you know anything about Neurofeedback? I have become very interested in it as it seems like it has similar methodology and results, but without all of the associated gymnasium building...
Old 08-21-03, 06:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Actually this was an adopted child from a very disadvantaged background, who was adapted by a family who could afford for one parent to stop working. I was so impressed with what they did for their adopted son, that I chose to ask them to help me solve my own learning problem, which I could hardly admit to anyone. I had to drop out of college because I simply lost the ability to read - period - could not comprehend one sentence. I was on the medical merry go round for almost a decade without any real answers, and the suggetions were getting mpore and more bizarre, so I went to this friend, a chiropractor, and asked him to help. He is the one who saw me in his office, and had me return in 3 days, and had a neurologist there waiting for me, to see me. The result of that day, ended with the discovery of my sleep apnea condition, which allowed me to return to college.

I have the most respect for these people. They literally turned my life around and made college possible for me again.

Jonathan

Old 09-29-03, 02:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Quote:

Unique...But Effective?
Research shows that up to 20% of Americans have a learning disability. Now an unusual method for treating learning disabilities, created in England has come to the U.S. - one located just outside of Boston. Claims of its success are boundless, but there is little independent evidence to support it. For more information visit www.dorecenters.com (Julia Bovey reports, 9/23/03 10 p.m.) from
http://www.boston.com/news/necn/Health/
Click the link below to watch the video:
rtsp://necn.mirror-image.com/media/V...ore_0923_9p.rm
Old 12-01-03, 10:36 PM

k_moments is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Dore Achievement Centers

Quote:
Originally posted by Alfred Mann
As I dug into the DDAT, Dore website, I read some research that was published about their program. What was interesting, was that the research gave credit to something called The Learning Breakthrough Program as the basis for the development of the exercises you mentioned. As I kept digging around the web, I found the site www.learningbreakthrough.com.

From what I read, users with ADD/ADHD may find it beneficial because it's use puts demands on the balance system and as you reach higher levels of balance, you must react faster. (Increased brain reaction time is one of the effects of stimulant drug therapy (Ritalin)). It seems this Learning Breakthrough Program has been around for many years and has been used to help improve cognitive performance and that attentional benefits may have come unintentionally. The learning breakthrough website appears to be very realistic, not making wild claims as I saw on the Dore site. And the program costs only $319, a whole lot less than the $2800 you mentioned.

I would check this out. Sounds like the Dore group has taken this program and turned it into a medical venture, treating a never heard of condition called"Cerebellar Development Delay" CDD. I guess that is their theory. Maybe that is why it iso costly.
Old 12-01-03, 10:40 PM

k_moments is on a distinguished road
I would like to know if anyone has actually tried the Dore Achievement Cetners program, or, the Learning Breakthrough program. Did it work? Or not? Did you use it for LD or ADHD or what? I am considering trying this....the logic seems pretty compelling, the testimonials look great. But, did anyone try it and feel it was a waste of money and time. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-22-05, 01:03 AM

NLPer is on a distinguished road
After reading US News and Report April 26, 2004, about DORE I started looking into it for myself. If it would work, 3,000 dollars would be cheap. The other problem is I would have to drive 8 hours to a center. So I did research and came across- Brain Gym, Learning Break Through-which was started by Frank Belgau creator of the "Belgau balance board", also a book Stopping ADHD, copyright 2004 which talks about the Symmetric Tonic Neck Reflex, and how crawling against resistence deals with it. Also I found some stuff on sensory intergation disorder. It was all getting confusing.

Jan 5th Ed Hallowell came out with his new book, Delivered from Distraction. In chapter 29 intitled Cerebellar Stimulation: A specific kind of physical exercise that can be used to treat ADD.- he talks about his journey. It is mostly about DORE...but very interesting.

Fo myself I decided to try learning breakthrough because it is $350 instead of $3,000. I hope I can keep doing the excersizes required. The DORE testing would help with motivation. But to far to drive and to much money.

Any one else try DORE or learning break though ???I would be excixted to hear about it!!
Old 01-22-05, 02:01 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Nachi2005 is on a distinguished road
Hi

Hi Everyone..I just wanted to ask if there are any online resources of technique for better management of ADD.

I live in India and dont have the means for all those wonderful packages, courses which are discussed in here..but would love to learn something to able to deal with my ADD, BPD and Panic attacks.

I find myself paralysised with fear and panic and just dont know where to begin.

Nachi