ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 04-03-14, 10:19 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,061 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Do you like your job/career?

Someone else's post made me wonder about this. Statistically, it seems only about 30% like their jobs (while 70% are indifferent or hate their jobs).

My career, yes. My job, no at the moment. But I did like it well enough before and hopefully I'll find another job I like again.

What I like most isn't the actual job itself though. It's the life it gives me. I can work 30 hours on average a week while still be able to afford my fairly expensive hobbies like traveling, scuba diving, gym for swimming, etc.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Chicky75 (04-08-14), kwalk (04-11-14), psychopathetic (05-21-14), sarek (04-10-14), Stevuke79 (04-03-14)
Old 04-03-14, 10:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Do you like your job/career?

Wonder if it was my post.

I hate my job, the feeling coming out of there when I'm done is soul destroying and it takes escaping somewhere else (normally into music) to make me feel at least capable if going again. It's dead end unless I management train and mundane. And yet you make a point I'd thought before which is that if it paid really good I could actually tolerate it better. Like yours it's 30 hours,early finish on a Saturday day off in the week 6 weeks paid holiday, and because of that has created an irrational fear of going somewhere else and ending up at one if those "10/12 hour workday" places, or some kind of production line work, which would actually be even worse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PolaBear For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (04-07-14), sarek (04-10-14)
Old 04-03-14, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolaBear View Post
Wonder if it was my post.
It was your post. And wow. It's amazing how different everyone's needs/wants are, even when we're all ADHDers.

What is it that you hate so much about your job? Sounds like maybe that it's mundane, dead end?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-14, 11:10 AM

Thanked 6,114 Times in 2,794 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

I love my job, what I do and who I do it with. It's meaningful, interesting and has a positive impact on the world around me. It pays well and I work when I want and if I want. Most of all, no one has to like me and I don't have to like anyone else - this is the part that killed me about every other job. Socially I'm kind of "hit and miss" with people.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (04-07-14), psychopathetic (05-21-14)
Old 04-03-14, 02:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of light

Can relate to that.

My job is actually at the same place I had a part time job at when I was at college. Then not deciding to go to university, I stayed on and went full time. The crazy thing is there has never been one day I have actually considered it a job, but socially it did help me out at a time when I was on the floor with anxiety. Although that has developed though, the job itself hasn't. Since being there iv been moved/changed role over 10 times, had a whole load of performance reviews/meetings, walked out, had massive run ins with authority, had an hr representative come in, clashed with every manager/supervisor that tried in any way to micro manage me, and yet where it might be thought if to get another job, the familiarity, anxiety and lack of path meant that i just kept going. The job is basically the same every day, afternoons when it goes quiet are the most soul destroying experience I can think of, basically there to do nothing. Boredom has me forever checking my phone, or going to the changing rooms, and every day I come home feeling like death. Am on holiday this week, and again, like all holidays I think to sort it out but have no idea where to start,,as without a plan a similar job or one where I can't move around or aren't accepted as much could leave me even worse. The pay is also nothing near what I would want.

I hear all this "you are intelligent" talk and I can't deal with it, as most if how I think or want to talk about can't be done there, at times I see no way out. My creative thoughts led to a belief that if I could think how I did then surely it would work itself out, it hasn't, now I basically have to numb my mind to get through the day, it's killing me. The whole corporate style talk and atmosphere would be a disaster for me, I need to express and have honesty. But every intention to fix this goes nowhere, like I said have researched and done every test you can think of but it falls short.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PolaBear For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (05-21-14), Stevuke79 (04-03-14)
Old 04-03-14, 02:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

And tonight I'm sure I'll get the thought to "sort this all out", go for what I want and be in a world where I have my own terms and a better life, can travel, lots of time off, space to develop, express and create. But nothing will change, and I so want it to, I'll do the work if the direction is there.
The Following User Says Thank You to PolaBear For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (04-03-14)
Old 04-07-14, 05:59 PM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't like your job, get a new job.

If you cannot get a new job, quit your job.

If you cannot just quit your job because you need money to pay bills and so on, it sounds like you really like your job! It is meeting your needs, and your employers are doing you a kindness by giving you money that you need to pay bills and so on.

Anyhow, I very much like my job, but there is not really much advancement until I go back to school for a year or so. I will probably do that soon enough, though.
Old 04-07-14, 06:11 PM

Thanked 6,114 Times in 2,794 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper Keith View Post
your employers are doing you a kindness by giving you money that you need to pay bills and so on.
Kindness. Is that why they do it?

Personally, I am an employer and I want to pay someone as little as possible for the utility I require. I guess that's just me.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (04-09-14), psychopathetic (05-21-14)
Old 04-07-14, 06:58 PM

Thanks for your posts guys. I must say, I didn't expect the number of people who liked their jobs to outnumber the ones that didn't.

Although maybe the ones who like their jobs are more likely to post in these kinds of threads.

Thanks especially to you polabear.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (04-07-14)
Old 04-08-14, 07:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

No problem, having a place where I can be this honest, even in such a small time has been amazing.
The Following User Says Thank You to PolaBear For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (04-08-14)
Old 04-08-14, 10:45 PM
Contributor

Chicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really nice

I really love my career and I mostly like my job. There are some challenging personalities that I have to deal with, but I see it as a learning experience. I'm lucky in that I have a sort of mentor that I just started meeting with, so I can get her advice on being more direct and diplomatic at the same time.

"Life is more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt than a surprise party." (Mozzie, White Collar) (I wish I could remember why I thought this quote was so profound and related to ADHD )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chicky75 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (04-09-14), psychopathetic (05-21-14)
Old 04-08-14, 10:48 PM
Contributor

Chicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really nice

Oh, and ACDC01, I'm really curious to know what kind of job pays that well for only 30 hrs/week? I do like my job, but I might get bored someday!

"Life is more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt than a surprise party." (Mozzie, White Collar) (I wish I could remember why I thought this quote was so profound and related to ADHD )
The Following User Says Thank You to Chicky75 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (04-09-14)
Old 04-09-14, 12:49 AM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevuke79 View Post
Kindness. Is that why they do it?

Personally, I am an employer and I want to pay someone as little as possible for the utility I require. I guess that's just me.
The motivation doesn't matter so much, does it? If someone does you a kindness, it is a kindness whether they do so with the desire to help or hurt. Employing me, even to exploit my labor value and profit from my operating the means of production, is still a kindness if it keeps food on my plate. It's still something to be gracious for.
acdc01 (04-09-14)
Old 04-10-14, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky75 View Post
Oh, and ACDC01, I'm really curious to know what kind of job pays that well for only 30 hrs/week? I do like my job, but I might get bored someday!
I'm not rich. Just middle income. Probably should ask what Stevuke79 does - I'd imagine he makes way more than me.

Civil engineer. I'd currently make a little over 100K if I actually worked full time at my company - that's after working for >15 years. You start out at only middle, middle income and economy has made it hard to find jobs (everything varies though depending on many things such as specialty, location. There are plenty other jobs that will make you more money.

I can afford my expensive hobbies cause my salary is decent (even though not high), and am creative in how I reduce cost. I also don't spend a lot of waste money on things that don't really increase my overall happiness (expensive clothes, knick knacks, cable tv, starbucks coffee, etc) - prioritizing better.

Last edited by acdc01; 04-10-14 at 01:02 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Chicky75 (04-10-14), Stevuke79 (04-10-14)
Old 04-10-14, 02:32 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,271 Times in 8,601 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

I've been through four stages of like and dislike:

When I started this work, it was a huge challenge to pick up all there was to know about it. I work mainly for smaller clients, and so I get to fill in the gap of knowledge provider on almost every aspect of the business.

After a few years on the job, the lack of challenge began to make itself felt. Like many jobs, mine is fairly routine. Even the pattern of yearly changes becomes unchanging. To say it mildly, this gradually put me in a less than enthusiastic attitude towards it. However, the labels of ADD and anxiety that I had been sticking on myself immobilized me and prevented me from taking any action.

When I began work on self awareness I had to completely change my perspective on everything in life, including my job. All that I am encountering must now be taken as a lesson. Life is no longer lived for its own purposes, but serves the development of self. That includes learning lessons from all the challenges on my path, and continuously re evaluating what I thought I knew.

I am now reaching the stage that I have a better defined sense of self and purpose. It is time to begin testing my limits and to see what else there is out there that I am capable of doing.
ana futura (04-28-14), Stevuke79 (04-10-14)