ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Old 04-04-14, 11:09 AM

It'sPeter has a spectacular aura aboutIt'sPeter has a spectacular aura about
Question Lack of self discipline, but hardcore vegan?

Hey all,

First off, I'm not really looking for a discussion on veganism itself. I'm just using it as a personal real-life example.

At my doctor's I was venting about my lack of self discipline. How I have nothing to show for my intelligence and creativity, because I stop investing in things and don't finish anything.
He said he didn't think I had a lack of self discipline.
Afterwards I was thinking about it. I haven't eaten meat since I was twelve or thirteen years old. For eight years I'm even a vegan and have absolutely no problem with wanting milk, meat or anything non-vegan. Even when I sometimes smell food or see delicious-looking ice cream.

I'm vegan because, to keep it simple, I feel sorry for the animals.

Me being vegan has a clear altruistic motive, although I am aware of the health benefits there are being claimed.

So, what does this mean? Why can I easily go a day without eating when there's isn't anything vegan around (at school for example, when I have forgotten my food), but is it so hard to do an easy thing to my own benefit, like paying a bill through internet banking on time and avoid additional costs?

I am wondering if more people here recognize how they have things they are absolutely disciplined about, while they just don't seem to get to little tasks or things for their own benefit. Ofcourse, the vegan thing is my personal thing, but maybe you have a interest or belief that's yours?

Is it too straightforward to state that selfdiscipline isn't the real issue with ADD'ers, but that it matters what's the subject of the selfdiscipline? If the subject excites us enough to become active?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to It'sPeter For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (04-04-14), Fuzzy12 (04-04-14), namazu (04-04-14), someothertime (04-05-14), Stevuke79 (04-04-14)
Old 04-04-14, 12:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,114 Times in 2,794 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lack of self discipline, but hardcore vegan?

You make a good point and it's an interesting nuance of ADHD. Usually ADHD is understood as a working memory disorder which means our problems are related to planning, reacting, prioritizing and most of the perfunctory things that we all do constantly.

Your doctor says you're undisciplined and if you have ADHD you probably are to an extent but it doesn't mean you lack commitment to cause. It means follow through and staying on task are very challenging and are very different things for you than they are for most people.

But ADHD'ers make great vegans; we excel at one-off's. Ordering the salad instead of the burger. We're obsessed, we're focused, we're perfectionists. BUT if we're planning a large dinner to accommodate a group including vegans, piscatarianns, and people who keep halal... we may start off excited, enthused with an ideal perfectionist vision,.. and then we get distracted, confused, overwhelmed, inefficient, .. etc.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (04-04-14), Fuzzy12 (04-04-14), It'sPeter (04-04-14)
Old 04-04-14, 01:28 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

ADD the condition of extremes - with the main extreme is being extremely inconsistent. My only consistency is being inconsistent!

Oh yeah and the ADD lack of boundary isolation thing ie post about discipline = forgetting to pay the phone bill ?????

BTW thanks for reminding me why I got on-line two hours ago - leaves to pay phone bill

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-14, 01:33 PM

It'sPeter has a spectacular aura aboutIt'sPeter has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your reply. When I look at me being vegan that way, I can see how it practically is an obsession constructed of quick and easy wins (buying tofu instead of meat, soy milk instead of cow milk etc). If being vegan would have no quick wins, but a big 'pay-off' in the future it would be much harder for me to invest. I read that ADD'ers tend to go for quick wins instead of long-term rewards, so I guess that would make sense. Is that a correct way to see it?
Stevuke79 (04-04-14)