ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-14, 04:55 PM

froggyadd1 is on a distinguished road
Possible symtoms please consider

SWIM has been noticing often lately, especially this past year, that she has been daydreaming often and not paying attention in school, learning most of the material on her own after class. SWIM has also had trouble reading in the midst of any minor distraction, often taking over a half hour to simply read 10 pages. SWIM has never thought about these symptoms until recently. One of SWIM's friends gave her a Vyvanse pill to try recently. SWIM took 35mg before class one day, and it was the most productive day of her life, SWIM felt motivated to accomplish more than what was required, and even organized all of her notebooks/backpack, etc (something which SWIM never does). SWIM took the other 35mg on monday, three days later, and noticed the same engaged, productive experience during and after school. SWIM then started to consider that if the medication helped so much, then could she possibly be a patient of ADD or ADHD?
Old 04-15-14, 04:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,352 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Possible symtoms please consider

I don't know what the abbreviation "SWIM" means, but nobody should be taking medication without prescription, especially stimulants. This person could have ADHD, but only a doctor can put a diagnosis. Keep in mind that ADHD is a condition someone is born with, so a person must have these symptoms since early childhood to qualify for diagnosis. Also, there must be significant impairment in at least 2 areas of life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (04-17-14), psychopathetic (04-15-14)
Old 04-15-14, 04:46 AM
Contributor

Dopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corina86 View Post
I don't know what the abbreviation "SWIM" means, but nobody should be taking medication without prescription, especially stimulants. This person could have ADHD, but only a doctor can put a diagnosis. Keep in mind that ADHD is a condition someone is born with, so a person must have these symptoms since early childhood to qualify for diagnosis. Also, there must be significant impairment in at least 2 areas of life.
It stands for "someone who isn't me", which I think morons on drug forums think gives them plausible deniability.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dopes1 For This Useful Post:
addthree (04-15-14), daveddd (04-15-14), ginniebean (04-15-14), psychopathetic (04-15-14), vpilar (04-15-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-14, 05:08 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,633 Times in 15,114 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

SWIM , you arent fooling anyone because SWIDM(someone who is definitely me) calls ********* on your pseudonym.

I carried a watermelon?

Last edited by sarahsweets; 04-15-14 at 05:22 AM..
Old 04-15-14, 05:49 AM
Jr Member

Benji X is on a distinguished road

The question is valid, stop being so hostile. "SWIM" - while not often used in here, is completely normal on drug forums. It's also his first post. So give the guy a break.

Yes, it's possible. With this much info it's impossible to tell though. Your notion "lately, especially in the past year" doesn't sound like ADD, because it's a chronic disorder with onset in childhood.

Do some research, especially on inattentive type. On this forum it's "adults with adhd -> inattentive type". Good luck.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji X For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (04-15-14), Greyhound1 (04-15-14), psychopathetic (04-15-14), vpilar (04-15-14)
Old 04-15-14, 05:58 AM
Contributor

Dopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji X View Post
The question is valid, stop being so hostile. "SWIM" - while not often used in here, is completely normal on drug forums. It's also his first post. So give the guy a break.

Yes, it's possible. With this much info it's impossible to tell though. Your notion "lately, especially in the past year" doesn't sound like ADD, because it's a chronic disorder with onset in childhood.

Do some research, especially on inattentive type. On this forum it's "adults with adhd -> inattentive type". Good luck.
Except for the fact that she was forthcoming about the fact that she took her friend's medication.

Yes, that is also completely normal on drug forums. For people that actually have ADHD or any other legitimately diagnosed disorder and have to get their prescription filled while enduring dirty looks from the pharmacist, this is a plague.

Here's an insane suggestion: Get evaluated by a medical professional and if they diagnose you with ADHD and decide to prescribe you stimulant medication to treat ADHD, go and get the prescription filled and take the medication as directed.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-14, 11:55 AM
Jr Member

Benji X is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopes1 View Post
Except for the fact that she was forthcoming about the fact that she took her friend's medication.

Yes, that is also completely normal on drug forums. For people that actually have ADHD or any other legitimately diagnosed disorder and have to get their prescription filled while enduring dirty looks from the pharmacist, this is a plague.

Here's an insane suggestion: Get evaluated by a medical professional and if they diagnose you with ADHD and decide to prescribe you stimulant medication to treat ADHD, go and get the prescription filled and take the medication as directed.

Good luck.
I meant the term "SWIM" is normal. There's no need to attack that.

If you get dirty looks from your pharmacist - well - I can't help with that, but I think it's her to blame.

Myself - It took me 8 months of professional "evaluations" to get diagnosis.

Sure - "get evaluated, get prescription if diagnosed." Why don't we just throw that as an autoreply for every question that ever comes up in this forum?
Old 04-15-14, 12:08 PM

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,352 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

@Dopes1,

You're right, but we all make mistakes and we shouldn't scare someone away just because of an uninformed decision. If you haven't been the one buying ADHD drugs from the pharmacy and being treated like an addict, you probably don't realize how big of a deal it is (personally, I didn't either, not until I came to this board).

Also, ADHD-ers who give their meds away are even guiltier than those who take them, but doing stuff without thinking about the consequences is in itself a symptom of ADHD... And if the people involved are also very young, it's hard to put the blame.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (04-15-14), Fuzzy12 (04-17-14), psychopathetic (04-15-14)
Old 04-15-14, 12:21 PM

Thanked 21,936 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

It took me forever to swim thru those acronyms. ADHD is a child onset disorder. Disorder must be present before the age of 12.

You are welcome!
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (04-15-14)
Old 04-15-14, 07:04 PM
Registered

Thanked 17,745 Times in 8,895 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Thread closed for staff review.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Closed Thread