ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-14, 01:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Procrastination or Executive Function fail?

I know that I have major procrastination issues but after reading this yesterday, I also have serious Executive Function issues. The blog mentions some of the exact same things that I do or don't do, depending on you look at it. One more sub-issue to tack on. Sigh........

http://musingsofanaspie.com/2013/08/...function-fail/
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
yellowflowers (04-25-14)
Old 04-23-14, 01:31 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,967 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Procrastination or Executive Function fail?

I view procrastination as the sub-issue, even though it's a major problem in my life.

The reason I do that is that the procrastination is likely to be a result of the executive function issues (plus other things of course).

http://www.drthomasebrown.com/add-adhd-model/

http://www.drthomasebrown.com/pdfs/E...omas_Brown.pdf
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 04-23-14, 01:39 PM

Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,307 Posts
Tmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to stop procrastinating once I get around to it!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tmoney For This Useful Post:
Diony (04-24-14), Drogheda (04-24-14), finallyfound10 (04-24-14), Nibs91 (04-25-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-14, 04:29 PM
Jr Member

hazlnut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
I know that I have major procrastination issues but after reading this yesterday, I also have serious Executive Function issues. The blog mentions some of the exact same things that I do or don't do, depending on you look at it. One more sub-issue to tack on. Sigh........

http://musingsofanaspie.com/2013/08/...function-fail/
Great link -- thanks for posting.

I've been thinking a lot about identifying the differences, similarities, and overlap as I pay closer attention to my day.
The Following User Says Thank You to hazlnut For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (04-24-14)
Old 04-24-14, 01:59 AM

finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

@dvd- What a great site!! He seems to be very knowledgeable! I can't wait to really dig into it!! Thanks for posting it!!

Old 04-24-14, 12:46 PM

Thanked 30,279 Times in 13,952 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

If I understand correctly, ADHD is a disorder of executive function. Procrastination is a result of a failure in executive functions. For instance, impulsiveness and time blindness, the disconnect between thinking and action (or intention and action) all lead to procrastination.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Diony (04-24-14), finallyfound10 (04-24-14)
Old 04-24-14, 02:17 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,967 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

While I think it's true that procrastination can have a lot to do with executive function deficits, I think there are a lot more factors involved or at least potentially involved.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (04-24-14)
Old 04-24-14, 05:02 PM

Fuzzy:
Quote:
If I understand correctly, ADHD is a disorder of executive function. Procrastination is a result of a failure in executive functions.
dvd:
Quote:
I think there are a lot more factors involved or at least potentially involved.
@Fuzzy~ I think that is true also and wouldn't have been able to truly articulate how they are dissimilar until I read the blog that I posted above.

@dvd~ Until I read the blog, I wouldn't have even begun to imagine how how my life has been affected negatively by it or them. Seeing something in black and white can be so enlightening.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (04-24-14)
Old 04-24-14, 07:37 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Diony is a jewel in the roughDiony is a jewel in the roughDiony is a jewel in the rough

procrastination is part of my dna lol
Old 04-25-14, 04:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

yellowflowers is a glorious beacon of lightyellowflowers is a glorious beacon of lightyellowflowers is a glorious beacon of lightyellowflowers is a glorious beacon of lightyellowflowers is a glorious beacon of light

I do think for me, executive functions are a big piece of the "why-do-I-do-this". When I realised that at first it really helped me stop beating myself up, but I'm back attacking myself because it's only part of the puzzle, and I kind of feel .... Whatever the cause, I still have to stop/ reduce the procastination... I'm still stuck with the same problem... I guess the 'why' answer would only help if it led to solutions. Yeh the adhd/ neuro atypical does guide to some solutions, but for me they haven't fixed the problem. Urge, sorry, this is probably not very helpful. Find it hard to explain myself.

"In the same way, there is some creature gnawing away inside me, urging me to do things in different ways" -Dylan Moran

"should I abide by the rules until they're changed, or help speed the change by breaking them?" –Ashleigh Brilliant

Dx
ADHD-C
Dyslexia