ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 05-06-14, 03:04 PM

TheatreKid is a jewel in the roughTheatreKid is a jewel in the roughTheatreKid is a jewel in the rough
Old school report cards

My mom gave me my "baby book" a year ago or so, basically a collection of photos and saved things from while I was growing up. It was strange to go through it, mostly because I'm transgender and everything had my female name on it, which I haven't used in 4 years. I had the bright idea of going through it last night to look for old report cards, in hopes that I'd find comments to help plead my case - I pushed for an evaluation for Aspergers and got diagnosed with it, but I think it is a misdiagnosis and am looking instead into ADHD.

My developmental report shows that I failed some of the milestones, like turning in response to voice, sitting without support, but except for the turning to voice I hit all of the normal social and reciprocal developmental milestones.

Grade 1:
Term 1: TheatreKid is still struggling with fine motor control which affects the speed and quality of her completed work.
Term 2: TheatreKid needs extra encouragement to challenge herself and complete her work.
Term 3: TheatreKid continues to require extra encouragement to complete work.

Grade 2:
Term 1: TheatreKid sometimes becomes tired of an activity before the time is up. TheatreKid works well with her peers although her sensitivity sometimes lets her be easily upset.
Term 2: TheatreKid has been slow to finish some of her work recently.
Term 3: TheatreKid sometimes rushes too quickly through work that does not interest her. She is trying to improve her organizational skills (ie remembering to take things home.)

Grade 4:
Term 1: French: She is encouraged to bring the appropriate materials to class. Must come to class prepared!
Math: She does find work completion difficult sometimes!
Social Studies: TheatreKid needs to arrive for classes promptly and prepared for work.
Homeroom teacher comments: There is still room for growth in the presentation and organization of her work. TheatreKid must become more organized. There are times when she loses her work or misplaces it.

Grade 5:
Science: Needs to get organized quicker.
Social Studies: Somewhat slow to begin tasks and get organized.
Special Notes: Stage II - waiting to be tested for Gifted.
Homeroom teacher comments: There is room for improvement in organizational skills, TheatreKid will have to remain diligent. It is imperative that sheets are put into her binder immediately and things are kept orderly and up to date. There are times where her mind wanders and she is not paying attention.

Grade 6:
Social Studies: Needs to be better organized for class! (note: underline was on the original report) Must read directions carefully.
Homeroom teacher comments: Lack of organizational skills. She must remember to hand completed work in. She must strive to keep track of her books and always complete each day's work.

Grade 7:
Science: Notebook needs attention.
Geography: Needs reminding to hand work in.
Family Studies: She needs reminders to come prepared for class.
Health: Please stay focused, TheatreKid!
Homeroom teacher comments: TheatreKid is encouraged to listen carefully to instructions to limit the number of times they must be repeated to her.

Now that I've given you an entire rundown of my childhood (except Grade 3, I don't know why that one was missing, it was my hardest year.) I didn't include the good comments, just the ones that seem to suggest ADHD. The reason why I suspect it's ADHD and not Asperger's is that there are many comments that praise my ability to work in a group and connect with my classmates.

As for the gifted thing, the tests showed I was just on the borderline, so they put me in an enriched class in addition to my regular ones.

What do you think? Is this enough stuff to take to my doctor and ask for an assessment?

Transgender - male pronouns please.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheatreKid For This Useful Post:
mrs. dobbs (05-07-14)
Old 05-06-14, 03:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,881 Times in 11,053 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Old school report cards

I think those comments are very telling, but they're only part of the picture.
You'll also need to explain how you feel impaired at this point in time.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 05-06-14, 03:20 PM

TheatreKid is a jewel in the roughTheatreKid is a jewel in the roughTheatreKid is a jewel in the rough

This point in time, like now? She already knows I'm having a lot of trouble right now. I tell her about this trouble every time I see her. I have trouble focusing in class, staying organized in everyday life, maintaining social relationships. I get amazing marks in my practical theatre courses and horrible marks in the courses that need textbook reading, organizational skills, and time management. The bipolar is a large factor, but even when I'm healthy and functional, I have major attention problems. For all I know, she might suspect ADHD herself, though she probably wouldn't suggest it since she would need to tease apart the bipolar from the ADHD. She might think I'm fine because I already get bipolar-specific accommodation at school, but I think if ADHD was identified it would help immensely.

She got me involved with an OT, who after working with me for a few months suggested that I should be tested for ADHD, but I'm not sure what my psychiatrist thought of the message. I asked my psych nurse, who always does the bulk of my psychiatric appointments (I see the psychiatrist for maybe 10 minutes, sometimes not at all if I'm doing fine) about the testing and she said "You can't have both Asperger's and ADHD" and I never pushed so I never got tested.

Transgender - male pronouns please.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-14, 06:00 PM

Thanked 23,881 Times in 11,053 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheatreKid View Post
This point in time, like now? She already knows I'm having a lot of trouble right now. I tell her about this trouble every time I see her. I have trouble focusing in class, staying organized in everyday life, maintaining social relationships. I get amazing marks in my practical theatre courses and horrible marks in the courses that need textbook reading, organizational skills, and time management. The bipolar is a large factor, but even when I'm healthy and functional, I have major attention problems. For all I know, she might suspect ADHD herself, though she probably wouldn't suggest it since she would need to tease apart the bipolar from the ADHD. She might think I'm fine because I already get bipolar-specific accommodation at school, but I think if ADHD was identified it would help immensely.

She got me involved with an OT, who after working with me for a few months suggested that I should be tested for ADHD, but I'm not sure what my psychiatrist thought of the message. I asked my psych nurse, who always does the bulk of my psychiatric appointments (I see the psychiatrist for maybe 10 minutes, sometimes not at all if I'm doing fine) about the testing and she said "You can't have both Asperger's and ADHD" and I never pushed so I never got tested.
The DSM previously said that both Asperger's and ADHD could not be diagnosed together.
I don't know if the new DSM-V still makes that distinction.

I do know it's more difficult for people with either Asperger's or Bipolar to take stimulant meds.

There is a lot of overlap in the symptoms of Asperger's, ADHD and Bipolar.
So maybe, just ask the doctor to focus on the symptoms that are most like ADHD for now?

Might depend on the doctor. Our psych prefers to treat symptoms rather than labels.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 05-07-14, 07:32 AM

Thanked 3,322 Times in 1,306 Posts
Tmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond repute

It's a start!