ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-03, 08:50 AM

sirlan is on a distinguished road
what to expect?

Well, after a month of trying to get a referral, I finally have an appointment next week for an evaluation and then a follow-up appointment (haven't been diagnosed yet).
I'll be taking in some info that I've printed out but what should I really expect? Just a bunch of questions or does it vary by doctor?
Thanks
Old 08-06-03, 12:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

lilthingsADDup is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, the psychiatrist asked me and my mom a bunch of questions and she also sent my teacher an evaluation sheet.

Don't worry, they won't cut your head open and examine it.
Old 08-06-03, 12:38 PM
Dannydorm

dont forget to arrive with some ????'s of your own so youll know this guy knows what hes doing and/or you know hes treated people with add. ask him about previous experience with add and if he knows latest drugs used to treat add and if he knows dif between hyperactive and inattentive.hes evaluating u but your evaluating him as well to determine whether you want him to treat you.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-03, 08:49 AM

sirlan is on a distinguished road
Just found out I'll be seeing a therapist and not a psychiatrist but I really don't care as long as they know what they're doing. It's at a neuro-psychiatric clinic that specializes in ADD and similar things so I feel confident that they're good at what they do. I do plan on having some questions, though.
My first visit is at 7:15 AM -- THAT should be fun. It's supposed to last for at least 45 minutes. I'm 32 so I don't have any of my childhood report cards and my family lives 345 miles away so the only way they'll be interviewing my parents is by telephone. I'll take in some of the info I've found online such as my Amen Clinic online test results, list of traits shared by people with ADD (almost a perfect description of me), etc., just for reference. I'm actually looking forward to it and hope it's beneficial.
Thanks for the responses.