ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-07-14, 10:16 PM
skizzytrildo skizzytrildo is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
skizzytrildo is on a distinguished road
Looking for opinions about my changing my current Adderall dosage

I'm not asking you guys to read all of this, I will add a TL;DR for each section.

However I'm sure enough of you guys on your meds will read through all of this anyways.


TL;DR
Feel free to post a response based off the TL;DR
Current Dose:
30mg XR

Back Story:
First few months using Adderall was great.

My Current Issue:
The desired traits I've been receiving from Adderall seem to be losing their effect.
However the improved focus and concentration traits seem very strong and prevalent.
I do not like having the improved focous and concentration without the other traits that I'm currently losing. Such as the mood boost and motivational kick. Without these two traits, I feel the improve focus and concentration actually hinders my ADHD help it.

My Temporary Solution:
My temporary solution was to take two capsules in the morning instead of two. This is only a temoporary solution because I'm only prescribed to take one capsule.

Searching For a Permanent Solution:
I made an appointment with my psychiatrist, 2 weeks from now.
Went to my family doctors yesterday, to get her opinion about increasing my dose.

Doctors Opinion:
Did not turn out as well as I planned, she basically told me, a higher dose would not be the best choice. She did not think I was ready for my dosage to be increased, as the improved focus concentration have not seem to change. She also stated that the traits that I seem to be losing, have only recreational values, and no therapeutic befits towards managing my ADHD.

My Opinion on the matter:
I did not agree with the Doctor, as I felt the claimed "recreational" traits that I'm currently becoming more tolerant to, actually do help manage my ADHD, more so, than she actually thinks.
Adderall has given me a better outlook on life in general, somthing that has always been hindered by my ADHD.

It might seem like I'm not asking a question, and simply trying to vent.
This is not the case, I really want to hear more opinions about this whole thing.

If you have anything that you want to share, like past expereinces with this, or just your general opinion, or even your advice about what I should do. Then I would really like to hear about from you guys.




Current Dose:

I'm currently prescribed to take one 30mg XR capsule a day.

Back Story:
The first few months being on Adderall was an absolute unbelievably life changing experience for me. Too keep things short, Adderall made me very happy, focused and motivated to go-to/be-at work.

Current Issue:
For the past month the mood boost and motivation kick seem to be less and less prevalent each day. Adderall use to be able to keep me wide awake for the majority of the day, but now fatigue is starting to become an more of an issue.

The increased concentration that Adderall gives me has definitely been noticed, and is very so much present now then ever be for.
However, It seems the only positive trait that I'm currently receiving presently from Adderall, is the Increased concentration.

This is very bothersome for me though, because without all the other great traits that I receive from Adderall, I feel the increased concentration is doing more to hurting my ADHD, than it actually is helping.

By this I mean, I'm getting an extreme over-compulsion to concentrate on things. Without the motivation or mood lift that I use to be getting, I now end up only concentration, or focusing on things that I find interesting only. Anything, that I find disinterested in, I simply don't put my time into.

My Temporary Solution:
I noticed, If I take 2 30mg capsules in the morning, I get all of my desired traits back. My mood lift is back, my motivation is back, and stronger than ever.

However, My current prescribed dose is 30mg, a day.
I'm only prescribed 30 a month. So theirs really no room for double dosing. However, I'm no longer taking the Adderall on the weekend, as I really don't find it useful then. That leaves me 2 extra capsules a week, which I use for Thursday, and Friday. One thing I've noticed with this routine, on Mondays, the 30mg capsule that I take, seems to be working a lot better, not as great as it use to be, but much more effective. I assume this is from the abstains of Adderall during the previous weekend.

My Search for a Permanent Solution
I called my Psychiatrist, to book my routine interview, of course being in Canada, The earliest appointment was 3 weeks, 2 weeks from today.

So I booked an appointment with my Family Doctor, which was actually yesterday evening. My Doctor knows I have ADHD, and was the one that referred me to my current psychiatrist. My intentions were not to seek out a doctor able to prescribe me more medication. I wasn't looking for any more, I only wanted her opinion about my issue. I made that clear to her when I arrived. I did not have much time with her, it was quite a short appointment, but she did give me here opinion. One, that I'm not so sure with.

My Doctors Opinion:
She said that, the positive effects which seem to be diminishing for me right now, is actually expected. The more I use Adderall the more accustomed I will become to it. Managing the dosage is just a temporary solution. Higher doses, may be helpful solution for me right now, but they may not be as helpful again in a month from now.

She seemed to try to lecture me about the abuse potential, something which my psychiatrist has already warned me about. She tried warning me of all of the risks that come with higher doses, such has becoming physically dependent, and harsher comedowns.

She did not seemed to worried about my current dosage, and insisted I don't ask my psychiatrists to change it. Her reasoning was, because I told her the improved concentration has not yet diminished for me. She told me tolerance is definitely an issue that doctors are aware of. Which is why doctors often end up increasing peoples dosages over time.

However regarding my case, she told me the only effects that I'm no longer receiving from the Adderall are purely the recreational effects associated with amphetamines. If I'm not enjoying the duration or intensity of the increased focus and concentration then I would be better off lowering the dosage instead.

I was very disappointed from what she said, and kind of caught me off guard when she somewhat implied that I've been essentially taking Adderall for recreational purposes.

My opinion on the matter,

The best way way I see Adderall helping and managing my ADHD, is if it can utilize all of these traits together. Other wise I feel like my ADHD is not being managed at all. I'd be better off without it.

I don't see any harm by increasing my dosage, when the intent is ony to be manage my ADHD. I'm aware in the risk of higher dosages, but I feel the need for a higher dose greatly out weigh these risk. I'm aware of the abuse potential, but I'm also aware of a different kind of potential that Adderal has already going for me.

I'm not so sure how my psychiatrist will be on the issue.
I'm hopping he will be more open and inviting compared to my doctor.
The most I can ask for is that he will be able to at least working with me, and see things the way I do.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-11-14, 06:03 PM
Sickle's Avatar
Sickle Sickle is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: US
Posts: 411
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 107
Thanked 172 Times in 120 Posts
Sickle is a jewel in the roughSickle is a jewel in the roughSickle is a jewel in the rough
Re: Looking for opinions about my changing my current Adderall dosage

find a different doctor who is better suited at treating ADHD... dose is independent to the individual. I can't handle XR meds of any kind, Adderall XR made me want to abuse it because of the wear off intensity but I do great on the IR version and I take 30 mg 3 times a day. I grew up on these meds so maybe that is an issue but I have had those types of doctors and had to change because of that mentality. I also can take the full 30 mg for some social situations and less for others and if needed can have a break. My appetite suppression is part of needing the breaks too. Some doctors just read literature and go by that.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-12-14, 04:52 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 27,915
Thanks: 5,724
Thanked 32,252 Times in 14,926 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for opinions about my changing my current Adderall dosage

Quote:

[/color][/size]My Current Issue:
The desired traits I've been receiving from Adderall seem to be losing their effect.
However the improved focus and concentration traits seem very strong and prevalent.
I do not like having the improved focous and concentration without the other traits that I'm currently losing. Such as the mood boost and motivational kick. Without these two traits, I feel the improve focus and concentration actually hinders my ADHD help it.

Adderall is meant to help the adhd symptoms. As much as we like the euphoria and mood side effects, thats just not what its for.
Quote:
My Temporary Solution:
Quote:
My temporary solution was to take two capsules in the morning instead of two. This is only a temoporary solution because I'm only prescribed to take one capsule.

Taking more than you are prescribed, no matter what the reason is always a bad idea.


Quote:
Doctors Opinion:
Did not turn out as well as I planned, she basically told me, a higher dose would not be the best choice. She did not think I was ready for my dosage to be increased, as the improved focus concentration have not seem to change. She also stated that the traits that I seem to be losing, have only recreational values, and no therapeutic befits towards managing my ADHD.

She is not entirely wrong here. If you want an increase to continue the mood boost, then its not the right reason to get one.

Quote:
My Opinion on the matter:
[color=Black]I did not agree with the Doctor, as I felt the claimed "recreational" traits that I'm currently becoming more tolerant to, actually do help manage my ADHD, more so, than she actually thinks.

It might seem this way but thats just not what adderall is for. Its nice when it happens but its no reason to raise the dose.

Quote:
Back Story:
The first few months being on Adderall was an absolute unbelievably life changing experience for me. Too keep things short, Adderall made me very happy, focused and motivated to go-to/be-at work.

Current Issue:
For the past month the mood boost and motivation kick seem to be less and less prevalent each day. Adderall use to be able to keep me wide awake for the majority of the day, but now fatigue is starting to become an more of an issue.
As far as the mood boost goes, again, it was a fun side effect and no matter how you raise your dose, it will not be maintained for years. Your body simply adjusts to the medication.
In fact fatigue can actually be a sign that your dose is too high.

Quote:
The increased concentration that Adderall gives me has definitely been noticed, and is very so much present now then ever be for.
However, It seems the only positive trait that I'm currently receiving presently from Adderall, is the Increased concentration.



This is what you are taking it for.

Quote:
This is very bothersome for me though, because without all the other great traits that I receive from Adderall, I feel the increased concentration is doing more to hurting my ADHD, than it actually is helping.

By this I mean, I'm getting an extreme over-compulsion to concentrate on things. Without the motivation or mood lift that I use to be getting, I now end up only concentration, or focusing on things that I find interesting only. Anything, that I find disinterested in, I simply don't put my time into.
This sounds like a case of hyperfocus which can be related to too high of a dose .

Quote:
My Temporary Solution:
I noticed, If I take 2 30mg capsules in the morning, I get all of my desired traits back. My mood lift is back, my motivation is back, and stronger than ever.
It might seem like this is the solution but what will eventually happen is you will experience the same reduction in mood lifts and then you will want to increase the dose to get them again. This is called chasing the dragon or- chasing the euphoria.

Quote:
However, My current prescribed dose is 30mg, a day.
I'm only prescribed 30 a month. So theirs really no room for double dosing.
My Search for
Thats exactly it!
a Permanent Solution

Quote:
I called my Psychiatrist, to book my routine interview, of course being in Canada, The earliest appointment was 3 weeks, 2 weeks from today.

So I booked an appointment with my Family Doctor, which was actually yesterday evening. My Doctor knows I have ADHD, and was the one that referred me to my current psychiatrist. My intentions were not to seek out a doctor able to prescribe me more medication. I wasn't looking for any more, I only wanted her opinion about my issue. I made that clear to her when I arrived. I did not have much time with her, it was quite a short appointment, but she did give me here opinion. One, that I'm not so sure with.
If you didnt want an increase in dose then why book an appt with you regular doctor? She is not the one making the ultimate decision.

Quote:
My Doctors Opinion:
She said that, the positive effects which seem to be diminishing for me right now, is actually expected. The more I use Adderall the more accustomed I will become to it. Managing the dosage is just a temporary solution. Higher doses, may be helpful solution for me right now, but they may not be as helpful again in a month from now.
In this respect, she is right.

Quote:
She seemed to try to lecture me about the abuse potential, something which my psychiatrist has already warned me about. She tried warning me of all of the risks that come with higher doses, such has becoming physically dependent, and harsher comedowns.
No lectures are ever effective.

Quote:
She did not seemed to worried about my current dosage, and insisted I don't ask my psychiatrists to change it. Her reasoning was, because I told her the improved concentration has not yet diminished for me. She told me tolerance is definitely an issue that doctors are aware of. Which is why doctors often end up increasing peoples dosages over time.

However regarding my case, she told me the only effects that I'm no longer receiving from the Adderall are purely the recreational effects associated with amphetamines. If I'm not enjoying the duration or intensity of the increased focus and concentration then I would be better off lowering the dosage instead.
I hate to sound like a broken record but she is 95% right on this one.

Quote:
I was very disappointed from what she said, and kind of caught me off guard when she somewhat implied that I've been essentially taking Adderall for recreational purposes.
She didnt mean that you dont need adderall. She meant that you shouldnt want adderall to give you mood boosts and euphoria because thats not what it was for.

Quote:
[My opinion on the matter,
Quote:
The best way way I see Adderall helping and managing my ADHD, is if it can utilize all of these traits together. Other wise I feel like my ADHD is not being managed at all. I'd be better off without it.
The key word her is 'feel'
Quote:
I don't see any harm by increasing my dosage, when the intent is ony to be manage my ADHD. I'm aware in the risk of higher dosages, but I feel the need for a higher dose greatly out weigh these risk. I'm aware of the abuse potential, but I'm also aware of a different kind of potential that Adderal has already going for me.

I'm not so sure how my psychiatrist will be on the issue.
I'm hopping he will be more open and inviting compared to my doctor.
The most I can ask for is that he will be able to at least working with me, and see things the way I do.
The harm in increasing your dosage is that you seem to want to raise it for recreational-like side effects. You have already said that the focus and concentration is being controlled and are basically asking for a mood boost side effects. This can never be maintained and you will always want to raise the dose the minute these desirable side effects are no longer present. There comes a certain point where raising the dose no longer brings back the mood lift and ends up give you a slew of unwanted negative side effects.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
dvdnvwls (06-12-14), HADDaball (06-12-14), heylookacastle! (06-15-14)
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 06-12-14, 06:38 AM
HADDaball HADDaball is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: LOLsville
Posts: 312
Thanks: 48
Thanked 132 Times in 97 Posts
HADDaball has disabled reputation
Re: Looking for opinions about my changing my current Adderall dosage

It's good that you discussed what's happening with your doctor.

Please consider listening to what others are saying. People on here have been taking stimulants for years and know by experience when the dose is outside the sweet spot.

What you're describing is when the dose is too high.

If you're genuinely taking stimulants to help with ADD, you'll realize that you're aiming for normal attention, impulse control, and resistance to distractions.

Using them as a mood booster is frowned on.

Expecting a medicine to be your drill Sargent is unrealistic. Some effort and willpower on your part is needed.

TL,DR: IMHO, your new dose is too high. Go back to your old dose.

If you really want a mood boost, earn it and do a good deed.

Last edited by HADDaball; 06-12-14 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HADDaball For This Useful Post:
heylookacastle! (06-15-14)
  #5  
Old 06-15-14, 03:39 PM
heylookacastle!'s Avatar
heylookacastle! heylookacastle! is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 154
Thanks: 147
Thanked 53 Times in 41 Posts
heylookacastle! is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for opinions about my changing my current Adderall dosage

Ditto to everything everyone said above.

I'm guilty of falling into the trap of looking for the mood boost/motivation and I wasted a year of my life trying to sustain that kind of feeling. It was a complete and utter disaster that had me learning my lessons the hard way. I tried various other medications (with zero effectiveness across the board) and now I am back on Adderall at 1/6th the dose a came off of a few months ago and I'm happy with it.

I realize the odds of you taking the above members advice, or my own for that matter, is unlikely, but the honest truth is that what your going through is EXTREMELY common. It sounds like you actually do really need this medication and I can tell that you are not intentionally trying to get high. I understand how easy it is to become closed down when people bring up "recreational" purposes of it and I personally get really upset when it happens to me because this medication IS treating a very real and debilitating condition and you DON'T deserve to be junked in with the people that do take it solely for its recreational effects.

All that being said, the hyperfocus side effect your experiencing is a major red flag with having too high a dose. It can be just as debilitating as the polar end result of not taking any medication at all. Both sides of the spectrum will inevitably throw your life and body out of balance and can be disastrous in their own way.

I know this may be hard to accept but the fact of the matter is that you are fighting a losing battle right now.

There are many choices available to you.

You can take time off the medication in order to remember what it is like to live for an extended period of time (1-2 months) with your ADHD symptoms untreated. This is extremely beneficial because it will help remind you of why you started taking it in the first place. During this time it helps to take stock of your natural ADHD symptoms, identify what they are and become mindful of them. These will become markers for when you reintroduce the Adderall so that you are honestly judging the effectiveness of symptom control and the low dose helps avoid major "highs" and the subsequent crashes that gets so many people into trouble.

The other option, drop your dosage to reduce the hyper focus that you mentioned and grieve the loss of the motivation/mood boosting side effects that were so beneficial in the beginning because the fact of the matter is... they are not coming back.

If you do get them back, it will be because you're raising your dosage above your therapeutic range. Like your doctor said, this is essentially putting the recreational value of the medication above your need for symptom control and is something you're going to have to accept as a reality. The members above and myself speak from experience and it's not meant to judge or be hurtful in any way.

Sometimes you may not agree with some of the replies that you get in these forums but please stick around and keep posting. You can dismiss everything I said if you feel I made assumptions, unfair comments, or I'm simply not getting it.

But... If your gut instincts tell you that anything I've written applies to your situation, please think things through before raising your dosage or take a break from the meds to reassess your symptoms. At the rate your going, you will run out and be forced to go without them anyways, the major difference is whether you choose to do it to learn about yourself and deal with whats going on, or whether you chose to rationalize it and perpetuate the cycle of instability.

The choice is yours.

My thoughts are with you and if you ever need to talk please PM me.
__________________
Diagnosis: ADHD-C (Nov '12) Narcolepsy (Aug '15) Dysthymia, Generalized Anxiety (Sept '14)
Medication: Adderall XR, Klonopin (tapering off), Clonidine
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-16-14, 01:35 AM
goldie7 goldie7 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
goldie7 has a spectacular aura aboutgoldie7 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Looking for opinions about my changing my current Adderall dosage

Hey Skizzy,

I am new here on the addforums, but I do have some helpful things to say to you, as I have been diagnosed with ADHD, and received treatment for several years now. And since I got diagnosed, I've been researching Adderall, and other amphetamines as far as how to get the best possible treatment, etc. I also would like to say that a lot of the replies posted on this thread are not 100% true. Anyways, getting on the the information...

1. First off, 30mg of XR is generally very high for an initial dose. 30mg of XR is the highest single dose of XR that has been made. Your doctor already made a poor decision right from the start. If she would have prescribed you 20mg of XR, I guarantee you have experienced the same enjoyable effects, for the same(or very close to) amount of time, which in your case has been a few months.

2. The first few months of starting a stimulant medication will have those same incredibly enjoyable effects for almost anyone taking them.

3. The more you take Adderall, the less effects it will have on you. This is also true for almost anyone taking them.

4. While improving your concentration for people with ADHD is key, it is not nearly the only thing that needs to be improved or fixed.

5. I am actually very glad you mentioned this.

Quote:
This is very bothersome for me though, because without all the other great traits that I receive from Adderall, I feel the increased concentration is doing more to hurting my ADHD, than it actually is helping.

By this I mean, I'm getting an extreme over-compulsion to concentrate on things. Without the motivation or mood lift that I use to be getting, I now end up only concentration, or focusing on things that I find interesting only. Anything, that I find disinterested in, I simply don't put my time into.
This effect is something far less common with people getting ADHD treatment. The improved concentration and focusing is very common, but alot of people still feel like this can get them to focus on anything that needs to be done whether they like what they're doing or not. But for someone like you and me, and a somewhat small amount of people receiving treatment, this is not at all the case.

6. Im sure you've heard enough of this, but overdosing is not a good idea. But, with that said, I will tell you that I too used to overdose on Adderall. This was especially true when I first started taking it. But taking two at one time is definitely not something you should be doing. I used too take my morning dose, then take a second dose around 4 hours later. This way I would feel effects of it all day. But after being on amphetamines for several years, I will now tell you to try and stop overdosing. While taking two on Thursday and Friday, and taking weekend breaks may not cause extreme negative therapeutic effects, you wont be able to maintain doing that. You eventually will lose all your willpower and double-dose whenever you have the chance. Its just a bad habit to start.

7. On to what your doctor told you. First, she is somewhat right to the tolerance issue with Adderall. There will be a decrease in effects after taking it for a few months.

8. She is right about there being an abuse potential. But being physically dependent on it right now is not as bad as it may sound. She may understand this or may not, but you are supposed to be taking Adderall every single day. She and many others may call it "being dependent", but in reality its more along the lines of being normal. If you take your normal prescribed dosage every day, then there is nothing wrong with being "dependent" on it.

9. Now, on to the real horrid of what your doctor told you. There are so many wrong and outright stupid things that your doctor informed you. First of all, getting your dosage dropped is just a complete waste of time and money. Lowering your dose will have no, or very very very little amount of effects on you. And despite what other users on this thread said, there is no way that your dose is too high. If it was at all too high, you would still be experiencing its almost-full extreme enjoyable effects, but also very harsh comedowns. Its literally impossible to dose for a few months, and then finally realize if its too high or not. It is something that you would know pretty early on

10. Now, on to the bigger part. It seems like your doctor knows very little about what ADHD really is. Even though that sounds like a big thing to say, its not as uncommon as you might think. And its not easy to unless you actually have ADHD. And yes I mean "ADHD", not "ADD", which is a lot more common(even though its not technically a medical term). People replying to this thread also don't understand as well either. These drugs are not meant just to improve concentration at all. It is to improve ADHD symptoms. That means every symptom of ADHD. Concentration is just a very small and minor part of it. People that really have ADHD can not simply just concentrate. That's why it almost made me laugh at how your doctor said you were talking about the "recreational effects". Without improved motivation, happiness, and self-confidence, there is no way to have actual beneficial improved concentration. Without these, you will only have improved concentration for leisure activities. Having ADHD basically means you do not have the ability to motivate yourself to be productive for anything that you dont have a huge enjoyment for. Simply put, in order to be able to function like a normal person would, a person with ADHD would need to have increased motivation, self-confidence, and happiness. I would strongly advise you to find a new doctor. Brain doctors will generally know way more about ADHD then behavioral-type doctors will.

11. Your first paragraph of your opinion is spot on. But on the second paragraph, I understand why you want to increase your dosage. But instead, I personally would highly recommend switching to another amphetamine. Research some information on "Vyvanse". Vyvanse has been a life-saver for me. Adderall is a good medication, but is mainly more of an energy boost. Vyvanse on the other hand will allow you to be a lot more productive, and will definitely give you a motivation boost, and self-confidence boost. Vyvanse will give you a relaxed-focus state. It is very unique, in my opinion. It puts on such a relaxing feeling on you, but still gives you a very decent energy boost all while giving you a big concentration increase. Other notable effects I've had from Vyvanse are increased patience, huge improvement with social behavior, increased memory, and just a love for whatever your doing at the moment. I know that everyone does respond differently to each medication, but again, I highly recommend trying out Vyvanse. Almost everyone with ADHD has the one medication that really makes a hit. And your current doctor is pretty much stopping any possibility of that happening with Adderall right now. But make sure to do some research on Vyvanse, and talk to your doctor about trying it out. Doctors are generally very comfortable with allowing patients to switch medications. Especially if it is to Vyvanse, because its generally safer due to it only being available to be taken orally.

Well, I hope this information helped. Again, if you have a local brain doctor, then that would be your best bet. But either way I highly recommend talking to your doctor about Vyvanse. Please feel free to ask me anything or PM me about any concerns you might have whenever. ADHD is very poorly understood, and there's not a whole lot of accurate information on the web.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goldie7 For This Useful Post:
heylookacastle! (06-16-14)
  #7  
Old 06-16-14, 08:30 AM
heylookacastle!'s Avatar
heylookacastle! heylookacastle! is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 154
Thanks: 147
Thanked 53 Times in 41 Posts
heylookacastle! is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for opinions about my changing my current Adderall dosage

Fantastic response Goldie!

To the OP, there is no harm is switching for a bit and seeing if it is a better match! If it's not, you can always go back to Adderall once you've seen the comparison of effectiveness and selling yourself short on a medication that you don't think works for you never helped anyone. We all need to advocate for ourselves with doctors that simply don't get it.

In regards to the comments on the dose being too high, I can only speak for myself but in my experience with Adderall, too much concentration (as in to the point of being unproductive) is a tell tale sign of an overly high dose.

I do agree with the statement that just dropping it will cause more problems in most cases so I retract that statement in my above post. I realize I didn't think that statement through completely.
__________________
Diagnosis: ADHD-C (Nov '12) Narcolepsy (Aug '15) Dysthymia, Generalized Anxiety (Sept '14)
Medication: Adderall XR, Klonopin (tapering off), Clonidine
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-17-14, 04:35 PM
lavita_bella lavita_bella is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: MO
Posts: 75
Thanks: 12
Thanked 36 Times in 23 Posts
lavita_bella is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for opinions about my changing my current Adderall dosage

I began having this issue too and I'll give you two things I think happen-- 1) The initial "honeymoon" phase of not believing your life has changed so much and things are so much bette when you're focused has worn off because you've gotten used to being able to focus better. I'm not sure, it's either that or a chemical effect that people usually experience as some sort of "euphoria" when they first start taking Adderall. 2) I read somewhere that Adderall can deplete your vitamin B levels after a while, and can even make people irritable and crampy. I started experiencing this and taking vitamin b6 and b12, and noticed tons of improvement. You could try that, if you're feeling not as motivated or lethargic. Those are signs of lack of Vitamin B.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lavita_bella For This Useful Post:
heylookacastle! (06-18-14)
  #9  
Old 06-18-14, 11:40 AM
heylookacastle!'s Avatar
heylookacastle! heylookacastle! is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 154
Thanks: 147
Thanked 53 Times in 41 Posts
heylookacastle! is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for opinions about my changing my current Adderall dosage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavita_bella View Post
I began having this issue too and I'll give you two things I think happen-- 1) The initial "honeymoon" phase of not believing your life has changed so much and things are so much bette when you're focused has worn off because you've gotten used to being able to focus better. I'm not sure, it's either that or a chemical effect that people usually experience as some sort of "euphoria" when they first start taking Adderall. 2) I read somewhere that Adderall can deplete your vitamin B levels after a while, and can even make people irritable and crampy. I started experiencing this and taking vitamin b6 and b12, and noticed tons of improvement. You could try that, if you're feeling not as motivated or lethargic. Those are signs of lack of Vitamin B.
Thank you so much for this information! I experienced that as well in the past and I never thought of it being my B vitamins but now that you've said it, it makes complete sense! Very useful information!
__________________
Diagnosis: ADHD-C (Nov '12) Narcolepsy (Aug '15) Dysthymia, Generalized Anxiety (Sept '14)
Medication: Adderall XR, Klonopin (tapering off), Clonidine
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-18-14, 03:23 PM
goldie7 goldie7 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
goldie7 has a spectacular aura aboutgoldie7 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Looking for opinions about my changing my current Adderall dosage

Actually that is a very good point. I have tested both vitamin B6 and B12 separately. And while I have found both to be effective, vitamin B6 seems to be slightly more effective by slightly adding to the motivational aspect.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-25-14, 08:25 PM
Sickle's Avatar
Sickle Sickle is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: US
Posts: 411
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 107
Thanked 172 Times in 120 Posts
Sickle is a jewel in the roughSickle is a jewel in the roughSickle is a jewel in the rough
Re: Looking for opinions about my changing my current Adderall dosage

I am hyperactive and I take 90 mg/day. I also am a health nut and take B-vitamins, Milk Thistle, Holy Basil, magnesium and l-theanine often from green tea itself. I use primarily hemp protein as a source of nutrition too which is really healthy and it is easier to break down than animal protein. I eat meat but just rarely and it has to be free range, fed on organic. I eat or consume chocolate almond milk and banana smoothies a lot. Heart, fine. No issue with bipolar 1 disorder and I am perfectly healthy too no mood issues. I am calmer. I also meditate, do yoga and work out too. I had a zombie period though, like the honeymoon for you guys. I was calm and never said a peep.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sickle For This Useful Post:
heylookacastle! (06-25-14)
  #12  
Old 05-25-17, 06:38 AM
HarrisonBX HarrisonBX is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: May 2017
Location: US
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
HarrisonBX is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for opinions about my changing my current Adderall dosage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Adderall is meant to help the adhd symptoms. As much as we like the euphoria and mood side effects, thats just not what its for.
Actually it is being prescribed for a mood boost. For at least a couple of years now, it has been prescribed off label for depression. My gf was prescribed adderall for that reason and now takes vyvanse and zen zedi for it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-25-17, 05:03 PM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 27,915
Thanks: 5,724
Thanked 32,252 Times in 14,926 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for opinions about my changing my current Adderall dosage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBX View Post
Actually it is being prescribed for a mood boost. For at least a couple of years now, it has been prescribed off label for depression. My gf was prescribed adderall for that reason and now takes vyvanse and zen zedi for it.
Yes, I am aware that its prescribed for treatment resistant depression however the Op was not being treated for this. Treatment resistant depression is when all other avenues of drugs have been tried, and adderall is the last resort. I am not sure if this is an official off label way of prescribing or not because even off label prescribing has guidelines.
And treatment resistant depression is way more than a "mood" boost. It can be devastating and often accompanied by suicidal thoughts.
But the OP wasnt talking about that.The op was doing the job his doctor was doing. The op decided what he wanted to do was more important than following guidelines.
No matter how people try to justify it, or how justified it is. Its still considered misuse/abuse. It is this kind of thing that makes it hard for those of us who need the medicaton to get it.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vyvanse and Adderall: Maximum Dosage Comparison Astrowave Vyvanse 13 01-21-17 07:24 PM
subing Adderall for dex IR. dosage question inarmsway Dexedrine/Dextrostat 3 12-18-11 03:41 AM
Adderall and Bupropion - Good or bad combo?? (Also what dosage?) silent73 Adderall 1 07-23-09 02:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums