ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 06-11-14, 12:56 AM

Viewtivision is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse Crashes and Duration of Effectiveness

Hey guys,

I just wanted to give everybody a quick little overview here before I cut to the chase regarding Vyvanse, which I'm currently prescribed. I feel like it'd be helpful...

So I was recently diagnosed with ADD by my pdoc a little over a month ago. A few weeks prior to my diagnosis I had randomly stumbled upon Adderall and made my pdoc aware of this during my first visit. I was doing anything I could to get it off script at that time because I was having huge issues maintaining my concentration at work but most of all I have this chatter-like type of thing going on in my head, and the Adderall would always stop it. Adderall pretty much opened my eyes to the fact that I had something going on that others clearly didn't. Basically, the Adderall would just shut my brain/head up (stop that chatter) so I could have some mental peace when I needed to be performing at the expected level during work. Peaceful would definitely be the best way to put it. I was having some pretty moderate and consistent anxiety at that time too, but I think a lot of that was due to the fact that I wasn't able to accomplish things I wanted to (even if they were very easy), got stuck in a repetitive lifestyle-rut, was always drained/exhausted, etc... In the end though it all led back to the fact that I couldn't handle a lot on my plate at one time in both a broad and immediate aspect. Stimulant medications definitely have their benefits for me regarding a lot of my issues. ADD to me is just a term or label. I made it clear to my pdoc that I really don't care about an official psychological diagnosis. I just know a lot of the mental issues I struggle with and wanted them resolved the best way possible.

After talking with my pdoc on the first visit I left his office with a prescription for a month's supply of 30mg Vyvanse. He told me he wasn't a fan of Adderall because of the abuse potential, the rushy/jolt feeling you get from it, and the length of effectiveness. I made it clear to him that I was not visiting with him to try and score speed so I could abuse it in any way. He told me he wanted to do Vyvanse because it worked very similarly to Adderall, but mainly because it's supposed to treat the ADD-type symptoms for the longest duration without the greater abuse potential.

Starting out on the 30mg was actually pretty nice for about the first week. I honestly preferred it over the Adderall. It didn't take too long to kick in at all, but best of all it was a lot smoother in the way it kicked in and tapered off. However, it was only lasting about 6 hours at the max (about half the time of how long it's supposed to last for). I had pretty consistent results with the 30mg script. I just took one a day for a while. I used the whole script up, never took more than a pill a day. Eventually, after about 2-3 weeks I'd say, I definitely was noticing a significant weakening in the effectiveness and duration of the Vyvanse. I was expecting this because I had done a lot of research on stimulants prior to my diagnosis. Most likely just a tolerance starting to build due to daily use.

I had another visit with my doc and told him it was only lasting about 6 hours, so he doubled the dose to 60mg a day. The first couple times I took the 60's I was getting noticeable improvements in comparison to the 30's regarding the effectiveness and duration (6-8 hours for 60mg, about 4-6 for 30mg), but this was very short lived, and now I'm starting to get a little worried. I've been taking 60mg a day for the past 10 days or so now and my crashes are pretty bad. It seemed like a couple of days ago that it's like the medicine just isn't even working good at all. Now my 60's only last about 5 hours at best and when they wear off my mood and energy are destroyed. Today was probably the worst of them all. I got about 5 hours of decent effectiveness in terms of concentration/focus, not really any sort of noticeable improvement in mood like I'm used to, and a horrible comedown. It seems like after the vyvanse wears off I'm always a lot more irritable and down in the dumps. I lack empathy and feel pretty spacey and drained (physically and mentally), and also depressed to the point where I don't want to do anything but sleep so my energy and interest is restored.

I meet with my pdoc again in 2 weeks. I'm mainly concerned about the mood aspect of this all. A big reason I liked stimulants was that they could keep my mood consistent (I'm not talking about getting buzzed or euphoric, more like not having crazy mood swings and getting upset about anything and everything, overthinking to the point of depression/anxiety). I really don't see the point of upping the dose anymore. I would think it'd be better to try something other than Shire products. Adderall was nice while I was getting it off script, but I have a feeling if I would take it consistently I'd have even worse crashes/side effects than Vyvanse. I'm just sick of feeling like garbage after it wears off now. I at least want to feel somewhat alive. I don't want to have to go into work and then feel like I got run over once my shift is over, then come home and just want to sleep.

It seems like a lot of people say to give Dex a try. That's the big one I'm seeing while I research these issues. Does anybody have any information that might help me regarding this? Like I said, for me it's dealing with the length of effectiveness and the mood aspect. I don't need to have a euphoric rush or steady buzz all day, I just don't want to feel like COMPLETE garbage once the stuff stops working. I don't think my pdcoc is going to like the idea of adding boosters or going strictly on IRs, but I feel like I almost might need to. My body processes these XR type medications very fast. They definitely don't last long enough. I'd rather take 4 tablets of something and get all day results than take 1 capsule and not even get a 1/4 of a day's worth of effectiveness (and feel like garbage after it wears off). Plus my workload varies from day to day sometimes, which is why IRs of some kind would be much more convenient I believe. These are all things I'm trying to take into account once I go to talk to my pdoc again in 2 weeks. I guess I would just like advice and know what options have worked better for people that have been in my position.

Thanks,

- Jake
Old 06-11-14, 04:16 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,618 Times in 15,105 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vyvanse Crashes and Duration of Effectiveness

I have yet to meet someone who gets all day coverage from an xr medication no matter what the manufacturer says. Adderall xr isnt meant to last more than 8 hours and vyvanse is supposed to be effective for 12 hours but I dont buy it. What I was thinking about when reading your post was why dont you try taking the vyvanse 2x a day?
30mg twice a day spread out would give you the coverage you need and hopefully avoid the crash. Many people are quick to jump on the 'tolerance train'. They assume that the effectiveness has to do with tolerance and not the way in which it was dosed. Another thing to consider is possibly taking the vyanse in the morning with a dex booster in the afternoon since the active ingredient in both is amphetamine.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-11-14, 12:12 PM

Viewtivision is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I have yet to meet someone who gets all day coverage from an xr medication no matter what the manufacturer says. Adderall xr isnt meant to last more than 8 hours and vyvanse is supposed to be effective for 12 hours but I dont buy it. What I was thinking about when reading your post was why dont you try taking the vyvanse 2x a day?
30mg twice a day spread out would give you the coverage you need and hopefully avoid the crash. Many people are quick to jump on the 'tolerance train'. They assume that the effectiveness has to do with tolerance and not the way in which it was dosed. Another thing to consider is possibly taking the vyanse in the morning with a dex booster in the afternoon since the active ingredient in both is amphetamine.
This is definitely something I have considered. After doing a lot of reading myself it seems like none of those XR medications last close to the recommended amount of time the companies suggest. My pdoc told me when he treats ADD, he is attempting to treat it from wake to sleep. I would definitely agree with him on this. I'm leaning more towards a vyvanse in the morning with a dex booster later, mainly because I'm starting to notice that my vyvanse is becoming weak almost to the point where I don't even recognize any sort of benefit while it's active (then a bad crash afterwards to top it all off). There was a day where I took 60mg and after it wore off I took one of my leftover 30mg pills. That seemed to work pretty well actually, but even then it only lasted about 9-10 hours overall. So I'm sure even if I was on a spread out regimen like that soley with Vyvanse, I'd run into the same issues I'm having now sooner than later.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-14, 04:45 AM
Jr Member

El Goobercabra is on a distinguished road

Your experience on Vyvanse sounds somewhat similar to mine. I switched over from Concerta and Ritalin, starting at 60 mg, then 70. I'm on only dexedrine now.

With the Vyvanse, it seemed really gentle at first, but after several days it gave me around 5-6 hours of decent effectiveness before I got moody and basically felt like I was...not so much crashing but going just a bit too fast downhill...FOR HOURS. The crash eventually hit way later, so the medicine was in my system for a while, but the effectiveness was really short. 70mg was even weirder.

We switched over to dexedrine, and after several months of adjustments, I take 20 mg dexedrine spansules, which is very effective for 6 hours, then declines but not terribly, and then is pretty much fully done after 8. I have 3 10mg tablets that I use either one at a time roughly every three hours, or, if it's a more relaxed day, a half tablet each dose as needed in the evening, so there's some overlap with the spansules wearing off, and the half tablets are somewhat staggered.

This has worked really well for me. Dexedrine is fantastic..very good for concentration and impulse control, and it's very subtle. It can be tricky figuring out exactly how long it's lasting and exactly when it kicks in, and be careful about taking too much--even though it is often physically subtle, it is a very potent stimulant, and too much would sometimes make me foggy and anxious. But, I can sleep on it! I didn't have anything to do this morning, and I woke up at 7, took a tablet, went back planning to snooze until it kicked in (30-45 minutes), and instead woke up four hours later very refreshed. I can nap on it, and it actually makes it easier to go to sleep if I take a half tablet close to bet time (even a full tablet doesn't interfere).

It's possible you were just on too much Vyvanse with the 60...it's usually best to get used to lower doses and gradually increase rather than starting too high. It can take several days for it to fall into place therapeutically, and longer sometimes to adjust to certain side effects. Because of my ritalin dose, my doctor started me on 45 mg of dex spansules in the morning, and for the first couple of days it was fine, but after about 4 days it was way too much. I didn't feel jittery or anything, just sort of foggy-headed and anxious. Even 30 mg was too much, and I now try to keep about 10mg in my system consistently. As far as I'm aware, Vyvanse is just a slower version of the dex spansules with a higher peak...since dex's half-life is so long, for many people the medication is supposed to stay in their therapeutic window for 12 (some claim 14!) hours, but I don't remember ANYONE whose vyvanse actually lasts that long. Coming down from adhd meds makes symptoms worse than no meds, and I think if Vyvanse is dosed too high it doesn't feel bad, but it's more noticeable for the first few hours, then instead of gently declining throughout the day, you're crashing slowly from the initial too-high blood level. But I guess I really have no idea if that's true, just my speculation.

If you can get dex, go for it, but if your doc has problems with adderall the odds of him prescribing dex are pretty much zilch...

EDIT: wow, this was really long. Sorry!