ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-04-05, 02:25 PM

ADDam is on a distinguished road
Weekend break from adderall great success BECAUSE of self medicated myself with...

I recently took a 3day weekend break from adderall. (April 1st to 3rd, fri - sun) Anyways, I noticed adderall wasn't working as well as it did the first couple weeks(a LOT of people have experienced this). So I planned to take a break but I knew that my ADD would come on strong most likely causing me to go into depression/just have overall really crappy days.

So on friday I took 2 30mg Generic Sudafed pills... {This is not a high dose at all I don't think, I've read many places where people self medicated themselves with sudafed for a week on 120mg and it workd ok...}

Anyways the point is that I felt great, like I had the endorphines(that causes those adrenaline rushes, the goosebump feeling I get frequently from my ADD) that I never get from being on adderall except for those first couple days... So everyone should know that you can't self medicate yourself everyday with sudafed, your body gets a tolerance for it and it's most likely not good for you... It has an active stimulent in it(pseudoephidrine) and it acts on the frontal lobe of your brain as you can assume since it helps your ADD. Remember that you will still have ADD symptoms, I wasn't fidgeting but I still couldn't sit down and read, I'm sure that if I increased the dose it would be different but 2 30mg pills did me just fine and it's long acting. I would take 2 in the morning and then 2 in the evening sometimes if I felt it wore off and it worked great.

So anyways I took my adderall today and it was actually working well like it used to. Maybe I can use this self medicate Sudafed on every other weekend, taking a break from adderall and not losing the effects that seem to go away somehow.
Old 04-04-05, 05:15 PM
Contributor

Chadwick has disabled reputation
Breaks help me too. I think those who haven't taken breaks in a while should consider it, and see how much more effective their medication might be when they resume (after at least a day or two of no stimulant medication). When I take days off, I try to eliminate all stimulants including caffeine. I'll tolerate a cup or two of green tea, but nothing higher in caffeine.
Old 04-05-05, 08:41 AM

typogenerator is on a distinguished road
Am I alone in this? Adderall, luckily for me has, not lost effectiveness yet (15mg 2-3x/day depending on what time I wake up and how busy I plan to be in the evening). But when I first began treatment, I had to cut back on caffeine intake significantly. My prior form of 'self medication' if you can call it that, was coffee. It didn't help much, at least nothing compared to true medication does (which I liken to a religious experience due to my newfound ability to do things most can do normally). But I would drink a large amount of coffee. Upon beginning treatment, I cut back to 1/2 decaf and 2 cups a day--essentially 1 cup of regular coffee; otherwise I'd be a mess (if I had more caffeine than that).

Now that I've been on Adderall for 5 months, I'm back to yummy regular coffee, with none of the adverse stimulant interactions I initially experienced. I haven't taken any Adderall 'vacations' but do sometimes take 1/2 dose, or skip dose #3 entirely. I only due this if I've worn myself down to the point that I'm so tired I don't care if I become a useless couch potato for an evening.

But the curious part is, again, the fact that caffeine no longer messes with me. It NEVER bothered me, even in huge quantities, pre-Adderall, bothered me immensely when I started the med, but now, nada.

Anyone got any comments/ideas/thoughts about this?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-05, 11:21 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
Coffee and pseudoephedrine got me through school - I used to drink bucketloads of coffee in University. Now, one cup is my maximum, unless I want to suffer the consequences - my stomach and coffee don't get along now, they had a parting of ways for some reason. Caffeine is OK - it's the other stuff in coffee that causes me pain. It's a pity - there is nothing quite like the pleasant buzz from caffiene that comes with that last delicious mouthful of warm Tim Horton's coffee.......
Old 04-05-05, 05:46 PM

MTMT is on a distinguished road
Adderall and Fatigue

Wondering if anyone experiences fatigue while on Adderall? I recently started Strattera and while it does seem to have some positive effect on my ADD symptoms of inability to focus and a flitting from project to project, it also - even on a very low dose -- causes bone crushing fatigue. I am thinking of asking my doctor to switch me to Adderrall (he wanted to try Strattera first) due to the fatigue factor, so I am wondering if waves of fatigue are also an issue with Adderall. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-05-05, 06:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

Debs is on a distinguished road
I don't have fatigue while taking adderall. I suffer from what you call bone crushing fatigue if I haven't had adderall. That is probably the worst thing for me about ADD is the fatigue, I can get by with my brain being all over the place and being disorganized but the fatigue is what gets me. I am still sometimes tired after taking adderall but it isn't as debilitating. I take 30mg adderall in the am and 30mg at lunchtime. I have to say that adderall hasn't done much for me in terms of my inability to focus but I am at least not tired.
I am seeing my psych dr tomorrow and we may try to figure out a way to help that maybe take a combination of things.
Old 04-05-05, 09:00 PM

DYNE540 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb takin a break

i took a break over the winter for 3 days and noticed a difference too. however, i didn't use any meds of any kind over that time.

when i started back up i too noticed a complete difference when i took my adderall xr. it did seem more effective.

victor