ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 08-20-14, 02:24 PM

SomeKindOfNone is on a distinguished road
Medicin and dosage

Hello, would have searched for similar threads buuuut that search thingy never works

I was just wondering since I'm quite new to this adhd treatment thing, when do you know it's the right dosage?

been taking ritalin la only, started on 20mg wich worked wonders, but sadly I began noticing my old sloppy self after about 2 months.

Then my doc said ''TRY 40mg!!'' (he' yelled in my eardrum)

and I did that, and been doing for a couple of weeks, some days it works well but mostly it lasts for about 2 hours and then nothing. (nothing that I can feel atleast. Been in a decent mood since meds but it seems as if I am becoming a negative nancy like I used to. Best to avoid that.

Could it be that 40mg still isn't enough or should I try a whole other type of meds?
I would really hate to have to up my dose regulary.

Also I live in denmark so.. probably not the widest selection of meds.
Old 08-20-14, 03:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 19,336 Times in 10,274 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Medicin and dosage

When I was prescribed Ritalin when I was 36 it literally changed my life. I was able to work and organize myself but Ritalin has a short half life and the generic form is horrible. After about two years all Ritalin did for me was make me hungry and have a headache. Then I tried Dexedrine spansules and it was great but that awful headache returned so I tried the Dexedrine IR tablets and loved them. Unfortunately they no longer made them and then Dextrostat (basically the same thing) became non-existant too. I take Adderall now and as long as I can get Sandoz or Barr-Teva I'm great on them. No headaches. But if I get any other brand I get dry mouth so bad it is painful. Each kind is an entirely different feeling and some are good and some make me so frustrated I call them Madderall!

I'll bet if you ask your doc he'll know of some other ADD meds you could try. Unfortunately it does involve alot of trial and error and it can get frustrating at times but keep trying.

Desoxyn is the best of all but good luck getting anyone to prescribe that!
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
SomeKindOfNone (08-20-14)
Old 08-20-14, 04:02 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Traveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to all
Re: Medicin and dosage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Then I tried Dexedrine spansules and it was great but that awful headache returned so I tried the Dexedrine IR tablets and loved them. Unfortunately they no longer made them and then Dextrostat (basically the same thing) became non-existant too.
Dexedrine IR still exists. I've been taking it several months.

I don't pay attention during conversations. Not even when I talk to myself.
Sponsored Links