ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-10-05, 09:13 AM
Jr Member

Slide is on a distinguished road
CDL License

I went to get my Commercial Drivers License (so I can drive the church bus) this week and found out I may not be able to because I am on Adderall. The actual list said any emphatamine (how it was spelled) or addictave drug. Anybody know anything about this? I have a dr appt in a couple weeks so was going to wait till then to talk to him.
Old 04-10-05, 04:55 PM
Contributor

Johna is on a distinguished road
Why wait go get the CDL before you start taking meds? Adderall has actually helped me to be a better driver I think. I use to speed all the time but since taking adderall I have actually slowed down. Also, realized playing bummer cars is a no, no in Virginia.
Old 04-10-05, 06:30 PM
Contributor

Chadwick has disabled reputation
If you have a script for it then you're safe. Test positive, that's OK, just put down that you have a script, they may or may not ask for proof but in any event you're covered.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-05, 09:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
I do I have my CDL also I'm a school bus driver. I do not take any meds. I know all ADD meds in my state aren't appoved of.
Old 04-10-05, 09:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwick
If you have a script for it then you're safe. Test positive, that's OK, just put down that you have a script, they may or may not ask for proof but in any event you're covered.
I'm not sure this is all right. I'm told if was involved accident in were anyone was hurt and I tested positive to any meds. even cold meds. I would be fired and held reasonsable. That is in my state. also employers will not hire you if they know you take meds that aren't approved.
Old 04-12-05, 01:22 PM
Jr Member

Slide is on a distinguished road
Thanks Fast Talking Mom. That is kind of the way I read it in the paperwork. They require applicants to sign a statement that they aren't taking any of the restricted drugs. When I was studying the manual it only mentions you can't get a CDL if you are addicted to any drugs. I asked at the drivers license bureau but nobody there knew. The purpose of the CDL will be so I can drive the church bus. Guess I have to make a decision...no Adderall and drive the bus or adderall and stay focused on my work.
Old 04-24-11, 03:34 AM

cdl-testing is on a distinguished road
Re: CDL License

We have a lot of state specific information that may be helpful to anyone getting their CDL but this definately sounds more like a federal issue. Good Luck either way. You can click my link for CDL Information: w ww.cdl-testing.com/cdl-information.html

Last edited by APSJ; 04-24-11 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: link disabled
Old 04-24-11, 12:36 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future

I think for certain schedule II drugs (amphetamine/substituted amphetamines and maybe opiates), you have to get a doctor to state that it is safe for you to operate a commercial motor vehicle while under the influence of the drug. This might only apply to certain CDL classes (such as A or A and B). I think this isn't always about the drug, but about the condition that the drug is treating, though I don't think it is the case for ADHD meds as much as say antiepileptics (where using them to control seizures is not allowed as someone that has had a seizure in the past X number of years can't drive a large commercial vehicle in the first place.)
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Old 04-24-11, 01:16 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,407 Times in 5,685 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttalkingmom View Post
I'm not sure this is all right. I'm told if was involved accident in were anyone was hurt and I tested positive to any meds. even cold meds. I would be fired and held reasonsable. That is in my state. also employers will not hire you if they know you take meds that aren't approved.

I appreciate accurate information but I will have to admit this is a sign of legal stupidity - Excuse me if I as a parent or another driver even would rather have ADDers ON their medication than not being able to take medications they need to properly pay attention to what they are doing! The larger the vehicle the more folks involved the more it would behoove people to be properly medicated -

I wonder how many accidents a year could be avoided if the powers that be pulled their craniums from their posteriors - I understand they do not want people abusing amphetamines and driving but taking medications and taking drugs recreationally is not the same thing - or at least it shouldn't be

Please do not misunderstand my post . I am not accusing you in any way. You may be lucky enough to have a mild enough case of ADD and/ or to be able to find alternative ways of coping but not every one is so lucky.

I am married to a man who would probably drive better if he were on adderall! He pulls large loads on busy highways during rush hour traffic in Austin!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 04-24-11, 01:52 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
I wonder how many accidents a year could be avoided if the powers that be pulled their craniums from their posteriors - I understand they do not want people abusing amphetamines and driving but taking medications and taking drugs recreationally is not the same thing - or at least it shouldn't be
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
I am married to a man who would probably drive better if he were on adderall! He pulls large loads on busy highways during rush hour traffic in Austin!
Perhaps the warning label should say:

This medication may impair others ability to drive or operate machinery. USE CARE until you become familiar with reality.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
The Following User Says Thank You to HighFunctioning For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (04-25-11)