ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-14, 07:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

BOCK102 is on a distinguished road
Do you get stressed about organising yourself?

Hi,

I simply cannot organise myself. I've tried every tip under the sun but I never seems to improve! Since my diagnosis of ADHD I have been more aware of my symptoms than ever before, one of these being my lack of organisational skills. Tonight I have to help run a training session for the football team I play for. Although I know what I have to do the thought of setting up the drill, explaining it to my teammates and making sure I remember everything is causing me a lot of anxiety. It's frustrating because what I'm trying to achieve is so small and straightforward!

Does anyone else get stressed about organising and if so, how do you manage it? If anyone is medicated, has your organisational skills improved, or do you feel less stressed when having to organise yourself?

Thanks,

Bock
The Following User Says Thank You to BOCK102 For This Useful Post:
Flory (10-14-14)
Old 10-14-14, 08:27 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,886 Times in 13,057 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you get stressed about organising yourself?

Yes, this is actually my primary cause of anxiety!

I've gotten much better (I'm not diagnosed) but it's like I have to keep "organising myself" full time with making lists etc. I mean for even the simplest errands. I feel like I have accomplished a major feat because I remembered to buy yogurt. I'm at work so it's in the refrigerator in the breakroom and now I'm going to have to make like three notes to myself, to remember to go get the yogurt before i leave tonight.
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
BOCK102 (10-14-14)
Old 10-14-14, 10:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

Shlarin has a spectacular aura aboutShlarin has a spectacular aura about

I employ technology whenever it's practical.. this has saved me countless hours of headache. Evernote is now my most used app because of this. Of course, if it's something technology can't help me organize, then I still get stressed over it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shlarin For This Useful Post:
BOCK102 (10-14-14), Fuzzy12 (10-14-14), Sekhmet2014 (10-14-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-14, 11:48 AM
ADDvanced Member

Haha Stef what you said about the yogurt is so true! At the weekend I remembered to buy milk and I was so happy. I even told my girlfriend kind of expecting some praise lol. This is a big deal for me though as I NEVER have anything in the house and as such find myself getting a lot of takeaways.

Hi Shlarin. I'll be sure to give Evernote a go. Thanks! Do you currently take meds? If so is organising as difficult as it was before? I'm not expecting meds to work miracles on me but will be happy with subtle changes
stef (10-14-14)
Old 10-14-14, 11:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,595 Times in 13,649 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Extremely!! At he moment I'm working on so many different things and the logistics of that are driving me crazy.

I hate organising anything. I like structure and detailed plans but I suck at providing it myself. And yes, it's super stressful. I'm always worried that I'm forgetting something (and more often than not I do. I need to organise a work trip last minute (well, I've known about the trip for months but just realised that I neither have tickets nor accommodation for tomorrow )
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Baal Moom (10-14-14), BOCK102 (10-14-14), stef (10-15-14), Stevuke79 (10-14-14)
Old 10-14-14, 05:32 PM
Forum Guru

Maurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to behold

Do I have any organization skills? Hell no. Do I stressed out about it?

No life is too short. We all have our strong points and our weak points.
BOCK102 (10-14-14)
Old 10-14-14, 05:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

I know that feeling Fuzzy. I crave structure in my work but unfortunately I have to manage my own caseload and thus my time. I am all over the place and everyday someone asks me if I've remembered to do this or do that. No matter how much I try I always forget to do things! My boss has been very supportive of me since my diagnosis though and is willing to almost micromanage me by effectively organising my days for me. Although I like the sound of that I also kind of feel like I'm a bit stupid. However feeling a bit silly is still probably better than the daily anxiety of not being organised and as a result not getting my work done!
Fuzzy12 (10-14-14)
Old 10-14-14, 05:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

Maurice sometimes I feel like that but I have never in my life been able to sustain feelings for any period of time. I wish I could but my mind is always on to the next thing. Cool that you can do it though!
Maurice (10-14-14)
Old 10-14-14, 05:43 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

So does your boss know then that you've got ADHD?

It's great that she s so supportive. I am sometimes tempted to tell mine but I work on a contract basis and I'm pretty sure I won't get new contracts if they suspect that my time management and organisational problems are permanent and serious rather than just minor, temporary glitches in the super machine that I pretend to be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOCK102 View Post
I know that feeling Fuzzy. I crave structure in my work but unfortunately I have to manage my own caseload and thus my time. I am all over the place and everyday someone asks me if I've remembered to do this or do that. No matter how much I try I always forget to do things! My boss has been very supportive of me since my diagnosis though and is willing to almost micromanage me by effectively organising my days for me. Although I like the sound of that I also kind of feel like I'm a bit stupid. However feeling a bit silly is still probably better than the daily anxiety of not being organised and as a result not getting my work done!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
BOCK102 (10-15-14)
Old 10-14-14, 05:50 PM

I love my job but I'm seriously considering looking for something that is more structured, and requires less of planning, organisation and self motivation. I just can't deal with the constant stress or having to organise my stuff or rather failing to organise my stuff all the time.

I think I need someone constantly looking over my shoulder, telling me what to do, giving me strict deadlines, etc... I can't deal with so much freedom and flexibility.

Sorry for rant crashing your thread..
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
BOCK102 (10-15-14)
Old 10-14-14, 06:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

Shlarin has a spectacular aura aboutShlarin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOCK102 View Post
Haha Stef what you said about the yogurt is so true! At the weekend I remembered to buy milk and I was so happy. I even told my girlfriend kind of expecting some praise lol. This is a big deal for me though as I NEVER have anything in the house and as such find myself getting a lot of takeaways.

Hi Shlarin. I'll be sure to give Evernote a go. Thanks! Do you currently take meds? If so is organising as difficult as it was before? I'm not expecting meds to work miracles on me but will be happy with subtle changes
Like stef, I'm not officially diagnosed so I've never been on meds.. but Evernote is quite a godsend for someone who dreads the overhead associated with getting organized. It sometimes even recognizes text in photos or documents you photograph with your smartphone that you send to Evernote, enabling you to search for them later.. it's really a godsend. Can't believe I didn't find this gem when it debuted in 2005 (but became a regular user only 2 years ago.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shlarin For This Useful Post:
BOCK102 (10-15-14), stef (10-15-14)
Old 10-14-14, 06:24 PM

Sekhmet2014 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlarin View Post
I employ technology whenever it's practical.. this has saved me countless hours of headache. Evernote is now my most used app because of this. Of course, if it's something technology can't help me organize, then I still get stressed over it.
I use Evernote too, because it syncs with my laptop, phone & iPad, so it's portable. I keep a list of reminders with alarms on my phone. That helps sometimes. I wish it had a calendar function or would somehow sync with my Google calendar--where I keep appointments and my daily schedule.

I am keeping a Strattera diary on Evernote.

I procrastinate about a lot of stuff and then panic when I think of what I haven't done and have yet to do!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sekhmet2014 For This Useful Post:
BOCK102 (10-15-14)
Old 10-15-14, 03:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

Haha crash away Fuzzy lol. Yes I told my boss. I get embarrassed about messing up all the time and have been afraid of losing my job. Therefore having a reason for it has shown my boss that I am not just lazy or stupid. It also brings hope for the future as she now has an understanding of ADHD and that with treatment and a bit of support my job performance could improve! So telling her was really about covering myself and explaining my at time sub par job performance!

Shlarin and Sekhmet on your advice I have downloaded Evernote and already feel it is going to be a big help. I'm leaving for work now but will let you know how it helps today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BOCK102 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (10-15-14), stef (10-15-14)
Old 10-15-14, 03:35 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,886 Times in 13,057 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I've been thinking about getting Evernote!
it looks like you can store many random things together...
unfortunately I can't get it at work (I asked IT). But I could keep things for various projects together in one place on my ipad at home (crochet patterns, recipes, things I want to read, etc etc).

I will still have to use written lists, though!

Bock, LOL: I was practically expecting hugs and a warm greeting last night, for bringing home the YOGURT and even putting it away in the refrigerator (bonus points!) but my ingrate husband was busy on the computer!
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
BOCK102 (10-15-14)
Old 10-15-14, 05:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

Well that simply isn't good enough Stef. How dare he fail to celebrate such as achievement!? LOL

I've downloaded Evernote onto my phone Stef. Maybe you could do that too!? From using it this morning to make lists for home and work (importantly with reminders added) I'll at the very least remember to do things. Maybe this could be of use as I'm less likely to lose my phone than the thousands of lists I have randomly sitting around my house and office lol
stef (10-15-14)