ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 12-21-14, 04:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

moments is a jewel in the roughmoments is a jewel in the roughmoments is a jewel in the rough
Irritability and Noise/Distraction & ADDI

Does anyone else relate to this? I find I get irritated around a lot of noise and activity. I find it very draining, so much so that I decided to change my job position from one where I was working with a large group of people all day to one where I was working with individuals/small groups.

I used to come home and be so burnt out that I would just stare at the tv (or the wall) for an hour or two.

How do you guys manage??
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moments For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-21-14), Corina86 (12-22-14), OhLookABunny (01-07-15), psychopathetic (01-09-15)
Old 12-21-14, 05:27 PM

tomsawyr has a spectacular aura abouttomsawyr has a spectacular aura about
Re: Irritability and Noise/Distraction & ADDI

I like quiet when I study. I love music, but I'm not going to study very well even if I'm listening to chill/ambient/xanax type music. It literally takes energy for your brain to filter out distractions.
I think creating an optimal environment for work or study is right up there with exercise, sleep, and meds.

I'm an INTP Enneagram 5
The Following User Says Thank You to tomsawyr For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (12-22-14)
Old 12-21-14, 06:52 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,899 Times in 9,304 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the same way.

The thing that's worked best for me is to limit my participation in draining environments as much as possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (12-22-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-14, 12:43 AM
ADDvanced Member

moments is a jewel in the roughmoments is a jewel in the roughmoments is a jewel in the rough

Thanks to both of you.

I find this symptom the worst of them all
Old 12-22-14, 02:30 AM

javamonster is on a distinguished road

Oh yes. I find it impossible to understand what people are saying in a large group environment (I think I have an undiagnosed aural LD.) and its soooo hard to figure out who to pay attention to. It's like watching a tennis match with eight doubles teams playing on the court at the same time.
The Following User Says Thank You to javamonster For This Useful Post:
sean85 (12-31-14)
Old 01-07-15, 11:43 AM

BethanyD is on a distinguished road

Absolutely! I try to avoid crowded or loud places when I can. I also need to work in a quiet environment or I just become overwhelmed. I find that I'm more sensitive when I'm tired or already stressed. In the evenings just my kids playing loudly can be to much.
The Following User Says Thank You to BethanyD For This Useful Post:
OhLookABunny (01-07-15)
Old 01-07-15, 01:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,877 Times in 11,051 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes! I saw the doctor Monday for a refill for my hypertension and anxiety meds.

The waiting room was cold and noisy - very busy with parents and children
coming and going and making a lot of noise.

When the nurse checked my blood pressure it was a little bit high -
and I told the doctor it was likely due to the noise and the long wait time.

I seriously thought about leaving when I'd been there 40 minutes and the doctor
hadn't even arrived. But I only had enough meds for three more days ...

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 01-07-15, 02:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

sushigirl is a name known to allsushigirl is a name known to allsushigirl is a name known to allsushigirl is a name known to allsushigirl is a name known to allsushigirl is a name known to all

I have a really hard time to follow conversation with a big group. I listen to everybody at the same time. I talk with someone and at the same time I listen to someone else. So draining.

We are 3 at the office and sometimes I wish I was by myself!

I understand you.
Old 01-07-15, 06:19 PM
Contributor

OhLookABunny has a spectacular aura aboutOhLookABunny has a spectacular aura about

Stores. They have become such huge places of noise, commotion, and distraction. First are the clerks who are required to greet you and ask you if you want help (not a bad thing, but so excessive these days, and no doubt to prevent complaints and/or shoplifting). But I'm trying to concentrate on what I came to the store for plus my usual internal monologue is yammering as internal monologues will do.

Then you have all the other customers and their kids - I don't hate kids but some of them, let's face it, need to be taught that the store is not their personal playground. And people with their carts zooming like the Indy 500 - when I had abdominal surgery I was fearful of getting rammed and having to return to the hospital for further repairs!

Young people may not be bothered by this, but the loud, up-tempo music blaring from speakers in stores is another huge source of distraction for me. I've spoken to clerks and managers about it sometimes; their reaction is usually "Really? I don't even notice it." It makes me nostalgic for Muzak, almost. And I used to hate Muzak as much as the next person.

Yep, I'm distractible, all right.
Old 01-07-15, 06:40 PM

moth2flame has a spectacular aura aboutmoth2flame has a spectacular aura about

Yes! This is very much a problem for me, too. Has been for as long as I can remember...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaVita View Post
I'm the same way.

The thing that's worked best for me is to limit my participation in draining environments as much as possible.
Yep, this is how I manage, too - I work from home, spend most of my time alone, and do whatever I can to avoid overly busy/noisy/distracting places. I wish I didn't ever have to shop for food... grocery stores are seriously the worst.
The Following User Says Thank You to moth2flame For This Useful Post:
Maurice (01-09-15)
Old 01-09-15, 12:10 AM
Contributor

OhLookABunny has a spectacular aura aboutOhLookABunny has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by moth2flame View Post
Yes! This is very much a problem for me, too. Has been for as long as I can remember...

Yep, this is how I manage, too - I work from home, spend most of my time alone, and do whatever I can to avoid overly busy/noisy/distracting places. I wish I didn't ever have to shop for food... grocery stores are seriously the worst.
If I won the lottery, I'd probably have my groceries delivered!
The Following User Says Thank You to OhLookABunny For This Useful Post:
Maurice (01-09-15)
Old 01-09-15, 01:23 PM

Elizabeth83 is on a distinguished road

I have a serious problem with noises. I'm sensitive to loud noises. People that cough loudly irritate me and I know they can't help it, but it gets to me and tends to make me angry, so I just have to leave the room. I complain to other people, but they always respond the same way "It doesn't really bother me that much." I can't eat at the same table with anyone who eats their food loudly, it's like the "nails on a chalkboard" thing to me. It drives me nuts when people eat tortilla chips and crunch them with their mouths open and it makes that echoey crunch AHHH, DIE!
So to sum things up, a lot of stuff bothers me that doesn't even affect other people. I'm so sensitive to smells also. I smell stuff that other people don't and I'm like do you guys smell that it stinks and they say the usual thing "no." The diesel exhaust from the trucks at work really bothers me but no one else cares or it doesn't stress them out, but it does to me. I have to ventilate the engine bay every time or I hold my breath and run away. I'm a firefighter btw. The smell thing I am always the first one to say oh that is an electrical burn smell, oh that is cooking or plastic, etc. that works in my favor cause no one else seems to be too keen. Sorry if I rambled too much.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elizabeth83 For This Useful Post:
BadBrains81 (03-27-15), Lunacie (01-09-15), Maurice (01-09-15)
Old 01-09-15, 02:48 PM

Thanked 23,877 Times in 11,051 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes! I'm the same about smelling diesel exhaust.

And the noise of a diesel engine is also very annoying to me.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 01-09-15, 07:15 PM

Thanked 19,291 Times in 10,254 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Diesel exhaust, jet fuel exhaust, anything Axe, scented garbage bags...I could go on and on, fans, distorted bass thumping...

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Maurice (01-09-15)
Old 01-09-15, 11:24 PM
Forum Guru

Maurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to beholdMaurice is a splendid one to behold

No I refuse to eat anywhere near human pigs, chewing and or talking with their mouths full

I would love to pour transmission fluid into the fuel tanks of everyone of these idiots that think they need a diesel truck. It's not just the stench. It's that godawful ying ying ying yinging of the diesel engine.

One of the worst places on Earth is Walmart, with unsupervised kids screaming and running around like chickens with their heads cut off.
Elizabeth83 (05-31-15), Lunacie (01-10-15)