ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 01-09-15, 11:29 AM

DonnaS is on a distinguished road
Concerta and side effects

I was reluctant to begin using meds for my son. But in the mix of things, I realized that was my sons decision not mine. So-
He is 9 yrs old, diagnosed ADHD combined. He is taking Concerta 36mg. He tells me everyday that it helps him at school. However, he to me is having side effects. First, he weighs only 53lbs, he was 68 when he started in June. His skins seems bumpy and dry, his hands and feet clammy. He is very pale. Sometimes I feel like his pupils seem dialated. Weird. he gets a bloody nose more often. Of coarse he doesn't sleep, and at night is starving. Since he has sensory food issues, feeding him was impossible before meds, now it's worse. Carbs is all he wants.
I need to does anyone else recognize the side effects he is having? I am having his dr see him this month...she tells me not to worry.
The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaS For This Useful Post:
ccom5100 (01-09-15)
Old 01-09-15, 02:06 PM
Forum Guru

ccom5100 has disabled reputation
Re: Concerta and side effects

Maybe he doesn't need as high a dose as 36mg. My grandson was losing too much weight at 36mg so I asked the doctor to also give me a prescription for 27 mg. I give him the 36 on school days, and the 27 on weekends and holidays when he is doing something that needs concentration (like reffing soccer), and no concerta at all when he's just home relaxing. By doing this, he is able to catch up on his sleep and take in more calories on the weekends.
Natural Alternatives are worth investigating. They can and do work for some people. Dietary intervention (especially the elimination of chemical additives such as artificial colors, artificial flavors, and certain preservatives) has been very effective in helping to control adhd symptoms in my child.

The Following User Says Thank You to ccom5100 For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-27-15)
Old 01-12-15, 11:28 AM
Jr Member

MrsMoMo is on a distinguished road

I was also going to say that at his weight, the dose might be too high. My little guy is almost 8 and he's 46 pounds and while he takes Adderall XR which is dosed differently than Concerta, I found that 15mg is too much for him so we've gone down to 10mg. I'm also giving him Omega 3 supplements and it seems to help in combination with the medication.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMoMo For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-27-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-15, 05:28 PM
Forum Guru

CrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud of

Those side effects sound more serious than normal for Concerta. I would try a lower dose first. I'm surprised she started him at 36mg. Normally you should start low, which is 18mg or 27mg for Concerta.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyLazyGal For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-27-15)
Old 01-27-15, 08:32 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,426 Times in 15,023 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with ccom about the dose being to high. It sounds like it works for him but a lower dose would work better. It is also important to give him frequent nutrient rich snacks-anything that packs a good punch. For myself and my kids it was a wholesome protein shake. I mix it with milk and ice and it tastes like a milk shake and has 20grams of protein.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-27-15)