ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 01-14-15, 04:00 PM

Musical Dreamer is on a distinguished road
Anyone take an IR after concerta wears off?

I've been on concerta for a while now and I feel like it's helped a lot. I definitely don't need a higher dose. I just wish it lasts longer. I take it at 6 a.m. everyday and I can start to feel it wearing off about 12 hours later.

Luckily, I'm out of work by 6 most days, so it doesn't affect my job. The only issue is my mood and motivation changes drastically once I crash. First I get really hyper and talkative (it takes me forever to wrap up conversations at work and get out the door) and then by the time I get home I can't be bothered to do anything. I get really cranky when my fiance asks me to do stuff, which is not good considering we're planning a wedding. I'd like to be able to remain productive outside of work. The only housework I get done is doing the dishes in the morning when I get my first med boost.

So I have to take the concerta first thing because otherwise I'll forget or have a hard time getting out of my bed and my house in the morning. My doctor gave me 5 mg IR to take in the late afternoon/early evening. Has anyone had any success with this? I'm having a hard time figuring out when the best time to take it would be (though I doubt it would disrupt my sleep). I don't want to disturb the success I've had with concerta by switching to IR or SR throughout the day, but I don't see any indications of using both ER and IR anywhere.
Old 01-15-15, 03:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone take an IR after concerta wears off?

I take 36 mg ER and I too was wondering about a boost later in the day as I work at least 12 hour shifts and feel like I might need something. I'll keep checking to see what your post gets for replies!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Musical Dreamer (01-16-15)
Old 01-16-15, 11:04 AM

Musical Dreamer is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone take an IR after concerta wears off?

I took the IR 5 mg at 4 pm (10 hours after my first dose) two days in a row. So far it's been a great help. I'm getting an extra push to wrap up my day and it hasn't disturbed my sleep at all. If anything, I'm more likely to go to bed at a decent time because I'm not fiddling around with nonsense that keeps me awake.
finallyfound10 (01-18-15)
Sponsored Links