ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 02-15-15, 03:08 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
My job is killing me.

I just wrote a longer post but it didn't work.

Basically, I suck at my first RN job, falling into depression further and can't make life plans like moving out on my own again, buy a new car or go back to school for my BSN because I don't have stability even though I have a good paying job since I need a new job that is better suited for me but don't know how that one will go either....

I can't sustain the pace at work and how not doing a good job is causing more depression, feeling like a failure, embarrassed, still socially isolating even though I want to do more but I'm so exhausted mentally and physically.

I don't want to do a job perfectly but I can't take doing it terribly either. There has to be a middle where I can live like a somewhat normal person.

Just like when I was in school, that was I all I had since I abandoned everyone and everything when it started to go south out of shame and embarrassment and since I graduated, passed boards and got this job, I haven't really built any friendships or started volunteer work again so my job is literally all that I have and it's not going well so nothing in my life is going well.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Abi (02-15-15), Corina86 (02-15-15), KentUnknown (02-15-15), Little Missy (02-15-15), stef (02-15-15)
Old 02-15-15, 04:29 AM

Thanked 27,031 Times in 13,128 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My job is killing me.

So sorry to hear you're going through this!
It's really important, when a job is not foing well, to NOT let it consume you.
When you're not at work, take care of yourself! whatever small , realaxing things that make you happy. a good movie, funny video, bubble bath, whatever you like! treat yourself to something nice, because you deserve it!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (02-15-15), finallyfound10 (02-15-15), Little Missy (02-15-15), Pilgrim (02-15-15)
Old 02-15-15, 12:44 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,261 Times in 8,226 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when you obtained the job. I'm sorry for how it's going and know how you feel.

Why do you suck at it? Is it the boss, the work itself or the company culture/values? Knowing what is making you unsuccessful is important to avoid making a similar mistake in the future. My ADD coach taught me these things.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (02-15-15), stef (02-15-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-15, 04:23 PM

finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post

Why do you suck at it? Is it the boss, the work itself or the company culture/values? Knowing what is making you unsuccessful is important to avoid making a similar mistake in the future. My ADD coach taught me these things.
It's the time management aspect mainly. I'm getting out way later than I should be. I'm not sure where it all falls apart in each shift- obviously. I've read that we see time differently than NT's which is plays into our procrastination and running late so that may be it.

I had time management issues while on clinicals in school and when I worked as a nursing assistant so this is no real shock but no less distressing.

I need to get a different job where it is slower paced with more structure or maybe less structure, if that makes any sense. I'm going to start looking.

I'm going to my local CHADD meeting next week and the speaker is an ADD Coach so I'm going to see if she's taking on new clients. I'm also going to find a new therapists who specializes in adults with ADHD and go to a pdoc who treats Adult ADD and possible try new meds.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (02-15-15), Corina86 (02-15-15), stef (02-15-15)
Old 02-15-15, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
So sorry to hear you're going through this!
It's really important, when a job is not foing well, to NOT let it consume you.
When you're not at work, take care of yourself! whatever small , realaxing things that make you happy. a good movie, funny video, bubble bath, whatever you like! treat yourself to something nice, because you deserve it!
I know that I need to so way more self-care!! I've done literally none for years and years and it's so unhealthy. I'm just a hot mess!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (02-15-15), stef (02-15-15)