ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-15, 05:03 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,317 Times in 13,289 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Do you believe alcoholics or drug addicts shoud be allowed to take stimulants?

I do. So many times I hear of people that are in recovery saying they dont take anything, incuding adhd meds because its considered addictive and mood altering, even though there are tons of studies proving that treating adhd can reduce the chances of drug and alcohol abuse and that untreated adhd can lead to alcohol and drug abuse.
What if someone had a past addiction to speed/meth/crack? Would they not be a candidate because their drug of choice was a stimulant therefore they shouldnt be allowed to take stimulants?

I am just curiouse because Ive heard of people in recovery being denied proper medication because of some irrational fear that the person will relapse or not responsibly take their meds. I guess it would be something that the addict would have to build trust with- making sure to communicate and be up front and honest with the doctor until a solid relationship was formed. All opinions are welcome just say them with kindness,compassion and empathy.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ADXP (07-25-15), amberwillow (07-25-15), Corina86 (07-25-15), Fuzzy12 (03-17-15), Little Missy (03-17-15), Lizzie80 (06-23-15), mctavish23 (03-17-15), namazu (03-17-15), Pilgrim (03-18-15), Stevuke79 (03-17-15)
Old 03-17-15, 05:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,013 Times in 2,745 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe alcoholics or drug addicts shoud be allowed to take stimulants?

so far as i know, the studies that have been done say that taking stimulant meds reduce the risk of future addiction, including addiction to the meds themselves.
so i think if we're going to have a policy based on science, we'll allow a recovering addict to take meds.

ive linked to some sources for this n pub med but i dont feel like looking through my past posts.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
ADXP (07-25-15), Corina86 (07-25-15), Little Missy (03-17-15), namazu (03-17-15), sarahsweets (03-17-15)
Old 03-17-15, 07:19 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,446 Times in 2,991 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe alcoholics or drug addicts shoud be allowed to take stimulants?

i have no problem with this as part of a individual call with adequate ( usually more intense ) lifestyle intervention / monitoring / support.

here is the crux imho. well that's just it. without the supplimental guidance... it's the void and the out that intensify. the "history" is merely an indicator of past coping mechanism / propensity to crux. which manifests from lack of... not availability of.

so, yes. individual? well, if the prescriber sees little adherance/response to supporting therapies mostly amongst other indicators then on a one on one basis yes they may be "situationally" declined with this as a key factor. with ADHD, facilitation trumps history hands down.
~ SB_UK ~
The Following User Says Thank You to someothertime For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-17-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-15, 07:56 AM

Thanked 19,336 Times in 10,274 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. But I truly believe that it depends upon the individual.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (03-17-15), namazu (03-17-15), Stevuke79 (03-17-15)
Old 03-17-15, 08:51 AM

Thanked 19,336 Times in 10,274 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

And, depending on the individual, it will/may change their lives forever.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
someothertime (03-17-15)
Old 03-17-15, 08:56 AM

Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,932 Posts
willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute

I mean yeah, I feel like craving stimulation, therefore getting addicted to things, is a symptom of ADHD, so it doesn't surprise me at all to hear that med treatment reduces the propensity to become an addict.

I mean the thing is, I've known of different ADHDers with lots of different addictions (especially when they're untreated), it could be.... Alcohol, drugs...or it could be! Cigarettes, sex, exercise, the Internet! To me it's like...the fact that sometimes it's drugs/alcohol is bad luck, it could be anything and it depends on what's available. Does that make sense? So yeah, I think ADHD addicts should be allowed to be treated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willow129 For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (03-18-15), Stevuke79 (03-17-15)
Old 03-17-15, 12:38 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

headsamess is a jewel in the roughheadsamess is a jewel in the roughheadsamess is a jewel in the rough

If someone is self medicating and becomes psychologically dependant on drugs or alcohol should they even be branded addicts when a simple switch to medication works without withdrawal?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headsamess For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (03-17-15), Stevuke79 (03-17-15)
Old 03-17-15, 12:50 PM

Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsamess View Post
If someone is self medicating and becomes psychologically dependant on drugs or alcohol should they even be branded addicts when a simple switch to medication works without withdrawal?
Forgive me if I've misunderstood, but I just want to make sure I understand. Is this what you are saying:

Someone who is using non-prescribed drugs or alcohol to self-medicate their disorders, could just as easily and effectively medicate themselves with legal prescription drugs taken as directed, and if they were to make the switch they would experience no withdrawal because the legal and illegal drugs are so similar.

Considering that, why do we consider the person taking the illegal drugs an "addict"? Isn't he doing the same thing the medicated person is doing, except for the fact that we technically choose to call one 'legal' and the other 'illegal'.

Did I misunderstand?

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
Old 03-17-15, 12:53 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,344 Times in 6,093 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

After a period of "dry time" to let the brain "reset I think proper medical treatment along with ample supervision in the early phases of treatment would decrease the chances of "relapse". Why should some one be forever punished via denial for being able to figure some chemical changes were needed because "trying harder" just was not working!!!!

Naturally I am speaking from a bias as an addict no more thanks to better living through modern chemistry! !!!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (07-25-15), Corina86 (07-25-15), Fuzzy12 (03-17-15), namazu (03-17-15), Pilgrim (03-18-15), sarahsweets (03-17-15), someothertime (03-19-15), Stevuke79 (03-18-15)
Old 03-17-15, 01:01 PM

headsamess is a jewel in the roughheadsamess is a jewel in the roughheadsamess is a jewel in the rough

If someone can go from needing to get "high" on illegal and unprescribe drugs to medication without needing to get "high", then theres a difference. They no longer need to abuse drugs to escape their problems when medication helps to prevent the problems in a controlled manor with a a more clear focused mind set.

Last edited by headsamess; 03-17-15 at 01:12 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to headsamess For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-17-15)
Old 03-17-15, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsamess View Post
If someone can go from needing to get "high" on illegal and unprescribe drugs to medication without needing to get "high", then theres a difference. They no longer need to abuse drugs to escape their problems when medication helps to prevent the problems in a controlled manor with a a more clear focused mind set.
I've not had any chemical addictions, so I don't know for sure but I don't think taking the prescription meds clears their mind so they don't need to get high.

I may be wrong, but I think they still experience all the withdrawal and other pains of getting clean.

Old 03-17-15, 02:53 PM

In that case they probably are addicts, but the point I was trying to make is that purely self medicating isn't anything to do with addiction.
Old 03-17-15, 07:43 PM

Thanked 10,551 Times in 5,197 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

well, there are studies that show stimulants can prevent future addiction

there are none though, that say stimulants can stop addiction , in fact studies attempting to use medication to stop current addiction are usually negative

so id say the person would likely have to be clean for awhile
Pilgrim (03-18-15), Stevuke79 (03-17-15)
Old 03-17-15, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
well, there are studies that show stimulants can prevent future addiction

there are none though, that say stimulants can stop addiction , in fact studies attempting to use medication to stop current addiction are usually negative

so id say the person would likely have to be clean for awhile

Old 03-17-15, 10:39 PM

Thanked 10,057 Times in 3,166 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

The Research On The Use Of ANY Stimulant Medication For The Treatment Of ADHD, As

DECREASING THE RISK OF A SUD (Substance Use Disorder) Is OVERWHELMING.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (07-25-15), Little Missy (03-18-15), Lunacie (04-03-15), Pilgrim (07-26-15), someothertime (03-19-15), Stevuke79 (03-18-15)