ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-18-05, 10:28 PM
Jr Member

fiend007 is on a distinguished road
Adderall and Concerta Combo?

Has anyone tried a Concerta and Adderall combo? I recently got switched to Concerta because the Adderall wasnít working as well anymore and higher dosages definitely didnít help either (I was taking 15mg). The Concerta is really different. My motivation level is almost back to pre-adderall levels where I just donít feel like doing jack and just want to sit around and be lazy all day. Iím daydreaming more in class (not as bad as pre-medicated, though) and also when I sit down to study Iím getting distracted pretty easily again and keep wanting to think about other things. I took Concerta during the weekend (36 mg per day) and I did nothing but sit around on my computer all day even though I wanted to get some things done. The doc said to take 72 mg per day (which seems kinda high coming from 15mg of Adderall) and I did that today but I still felt like sitting around all day. When I actually started doing things it was easier to stay focused on them (I cleaned my room ), so that was good.

So I was gonna ask my doc about trying a combo of Concerta and Adderall. Since they are two different types of stimulants do you think alternating between Concerta and Adderall would change anything? I was thinking on my not so busy days I donít mind taking Concerta and then I could take Adderall for my days that I have a lot of stuff to do. Iím really starting to worry about how this will work in the long run. Iím getting kinda scared that the effectiveness of them will decrease drastically as the months go by.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge with this? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-05, 11:10 PM

ad-d_saster is on a distinguished road
no! do not do combo! bad idea! I'm on adderal and I have some major depression and mood swing side effects! I WAS on concerta and it was the same thing! Now I'm on adderal and a depression pill. do not mix them!!!
Old 04-18-05, 11:11 PM

ad-d_saster is on a distinguished road
Then again..... different ppls' bodies work and react differently to the meds. so yah! but, I still advise you not to do that!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-05, 11:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
I'd have to tend to agree... I don't think 2 stimulant meds is a good idea. Then again, I'm not a doctor, and, more importantly, I'm not your doctor. If I were you, I'd simply mention your concerns to your doc the next time you see him/her and see what he/she says.

Just tell your doctor what's going on. That's what they're there for, and I'm sure they've heard it all, your not alone in what's going on. -- jazzper
Old 04-19-05, 12:07 AM
Jr Member

fiend007 is on a distinguished road
Heres an interesting post I found about someone doing the same thing:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...805#post107805

She seems to have had good results with the combo. Anyways I'm gonna ask my doc about it the next visit. I think a better choice might be strattera and adderall but my doc hates strattera. hmm I need to find something that works better. I really don't want to go back to the unfocused, unmotivated, unproductive, easily stressed, anxious person I was.
Old 05-26-10, 08:41 PM

kathycasto is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall and Concerta Combo?

My son is 20 years old and he takes the combo he is on 54 mg of concerta and 20 mg of adderall and it is like a wonder drug sorry but it does work on him. But remember everyone is different and most insurance wont pay for both since they are the same but different makers.
Old 05-26-10, 10:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

I would advise against it. 15mg is very low, I started with 20mg. 72mg of Concerta is certainly much stronger than 15mg Adderall. What do you mean that higher dosages did not work for you? How much higher did you go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathycasto View Post
My son is 20 years old and he takes the combo he is on 54 mg of concerta and 20 mg of adderall and it is like a wonder drug sorry but it does work on him. But remember everyone is different and most insurance wont pay for both since they are the same but different makers.
I'm also twenty, but I know that they are not the same drug, and many insurance companies do pay for them both at the same time. Where did you get your information?
Old 05-27-10, 06:07 AM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

u can combine adderall and methylphenidate but not the extended release one like concerta.

its best to have one type of stim working in your body not the two.

adderall IR and ritalin IR i tried before. It was good.
taking adderall then 5mg ritalin booster to help with the crash of adderall. plus there was a research paper i read. where researchers found that taking methylphenidate after methamp. reduced the neurotoxicity and reduced the down-regulation of dopamine that meth caused.

you can look it up.

one stim in your body at a time.
my opinion.

also, you can ask about your doctor about vyvanse or dexedrine CR combined with ritalin.
ritalin works in 20 min and i think it takes two hours for vyvanse to kick in. so by the time that ritalin wear off vyvanse kicks in and might give smooth transition (lessen the ritalin crash and increase your focus) these are hypotheticals so dont it seriously. You can ask your doctor if this might work.
Old 06-18-10, 05:49 PM

kathycasto is on a distinguished road

Yes my son who is twenty now has been on 54 mg of concerta and 10 mg of adderall xr for the last 11 years and omg it works wonders but now my problem is I dont have insurance I am currently on workers comp with no medical insurance and i cant afford both prescription so he is only taking the 54 mg and it is not working at all I am at my wits end and dont know what to do I really dont want to try something different because i know this combo works for him
Old 06-18-10, 07:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,632 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Kathy- if he is taking Adderall IR generic, check into getting it at Costco. Also ask your doc to write the scrip for 20 mg tabs that you split. You are only buying half as many pills that way and it is legal.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?