ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-18-05, 11:11 PM
Jr Member

lriff is on a distinguished road
Why does adderall feel like it does not work anymore

I was just recently started on adderall over 3 months ago,
My doctor started me with 5 mgs. 2 times a day,the first few days were awsome,I finally un packed boxes from our move(4 years ago),and cleaned and did things I could never finish before,my doctor then uped me to 10 mgs.in the morning and 5 afternoon,I am starting to feel lost overwhelmed,and and getting nothing done again,Let me say I am in shock,that I actually sleep better at night with adderall than I did without,and I eat more fir some reason,I am a very hyper person,and adderall slowed me down,I go to the Dr. next week,and am Lost as what to do
Thanks
Old 04-18-05, 11:47 PM
Contributor

Chadwick has disabled reputation
Tell him about it. He may up your dose.
Old 04-18-05, 11:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
It could be tolerance, and it could be general anxiety or mild depression. It's hard to say without having met you. Would you say when you feel overwhelmed that you feel more anxious or depressed/sad? In any case, since you're going to the doctor next week, what I would do is just tell your doctor exactly what you've written here. If you have more examples to elaborate on, then include that info as well.

Just tell your doctor what's going on. That's what they're there for, and I'm sure they've heard it all, your not alone in what's going on. -- jazzper
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-05, 10:01 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
It's fairly common - from anicdotal "evidence" - for people who just start on stimulants to find that the inital dose that helped them, now does not seem to be as effective. I think this is more common for those on low initial doses - 10mg per day is fairly low, but much depends on the person - some people need very small amounts, while others may need very large amounts.
After this initial increase, tolerance doesn't seem to a problem for most - I know I had this happen to me initially, but since then, the dose I take seems to work about the same - although I don't really get the "rush" feeling anymore - pity.
Old 04-19-05, 08:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

jazzper is on a distinguished road
Just tell your doctor what's going on. That's what they're there for, and I'm sure they've heard it all, your not alone in what's going on. You're on a low dose anyway.
Old 04-19-05, 09:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzper
Just tell your doctor what's going on. That's what they're there for, and I'm sure they've heard it all, your not alone in what's going on.
I'm stealing this for my sig.

Just tell your doctor what's going on. That's what they're there for, and I'm sure they've heard it all, your not alone in what's going on. -- jazzper
Old 04-19-05, 09:30 PM

HughEvans is on a distinguished road
Depending on how good of a relationship you have with your doc, or if you have any friends who are physicians, you can hear some of the most hilarious stories when it comes to that department!!! A good place to start is what they saw/experienced during their psych rotations.

I actually think that if people were more aware of the fact that their doctor really has seen/heard just about everything they would probably be more open and honest.

In response to the original post: Until a better measure of efficacy comes along, adderall for adhd is dosed by how it is working for you. Doses can rise over time and it tends to be pretty gradual, just tell your doc what's up and work out a new plan with her/him. Take a multivitamin daily (unless advised otherwise) and try a hefty dose of fiber to clean out the pipes (adderall is absorbed in your intestines, just make sure not to take any medicine within a few hours before or after as they may be swept through).
Old 04-20-05, 10:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

ditzygirl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughEvans
Depending on how good of a relationship you have with your doc, or if you have any friends who are physicians, you can hear some of the most hilarious stories when it comes to that department!!! A good place to start is what they saw/experienced during their psych rotations.

I actually think that if people were more aware of the fact that their doctor really has seen/heard just about everything they would probably be more open and honest.

In response to the original post: Until a better measure of efficacy comes along, adderall for adhd is dosed by how it is working for you. Doses can rise over time and it tends to be pretty gradual, just tell your doc what's up and work out a new plan with her/him. Take a multivitamin daily (unless advised otherwise) and try a hefty dose of fiber to clean out the pipes (adderall is absorbed in your intestines, just make sure not to take any medicine within a few hours before or after as they may be swept through).
What about ritaln? Does that stay in the intestines?
Old 04-20-05, 11:28 AM

hopefulwithadhd is on a distinguished road
I was recently put on Adderall XR as well as Wellbutrin. My doctor started me out for a month on a low dose of WB, then added 20mg of Adderall 2x per day. The Adderall began about 45 days ago. Two days ago I stopped taking my noon time doses of both of them and opted to see what would happen with one dose of 30mg per day of Adderall. I did that because I wasn't falling asleep until after 1 am every day. Personally, I have not read anywhere anyone prescribed 30 mg 2x per day on Adderall plus WB, has anyone else?

Additionally, I noticed when the dose went up to 30 mg 2x per day vs 20 mg 2x per day, I felt the old symptons (habits) coming back. Plus, my appetite increased. I think there is much more to making sure the dose fits your body than I realized.

Has anyone out there had a similar experience?
Old 04-21-05, 09:28 PM
Jr Member

D00fy is on a distinguished road
i have built up my tolerance so bad that in a single day dosing il have 100mg for the whole total day
Old 04-21-05, 10:11 PM

hopefulwithadhd is on a distinguished road
that can't be good....no amount of focus or organization or concentration is worth the risk of too many amphetimines...what does your doc say?
Old 04-25-05, 07:20 PM
Contributor

Chadwick has disabled reputation
Sounds like a drug holiday is in order. Be sure to decrease gradually over a couple days. Say 80, 60, 40, 20, then 0. Then gradually build up and see how well you do with 20, then 40, then 60. 100mg is certainly at the higher end of average dosing. I would almost say outlier.
Old 04-30-05, 10:36 PM

2d2 is on a distinguished road
keep reporting

Quote:
Originally Posted by lriff
I was just recently started on adderall over 3 months ago,
My doctor started me with 5 mgs. 2 times a day,the first few days were awsome,I finally un packed boxes from our move(4 years ago),and cleaned and did things I could never finish before,my doctor then uped me to 10 mgs.in the morning and 5 afternoon,I am starting to feel lost overwhelmed,and and getting nothing done again,Let me say I am in shock,that I actually sleep better at night with adderall than I did without,and I eat more fir some reason,I am a very hyper person,and adderall slowed me down,I go to the Dr. next week,and am Lost as what to do
Thanks
Sorry, word has it is because Adderall and its generics have allegedly been reformulated to be safely prescribed to the masses with the least possible repercussions.
Keep reporting on its ineffectiveness; it may help; the companies read this board. Eventually. They may decide to return to the original formula, if indeed they are putting out a less effective product, allegedly.
Old 04-30-05, 11:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

solitary bee will become famous soon enough
is it possible that amphetamines are still doing their work even though on a subjective level a person is not aware of the drug being present?

initially, dosages make a sudden and profound difference on perception, concentration and focus. however, can't we also become accustomed to this perception with continued dosage of medication? as in this is the 'new norm' and it becomes so non distinct from our level of functioning that a person may decide the drug is no longer working just because they are not getting that same sort of experience they obtained at the beginning.

so basically the drugs are still working just the patient doesn't get a distinct subjective sensation of onset of action?

i'd really hate to find out that there is no 'regular' dosage that a person can take for months or years at a time and have no trouble with it. that people keep having to increase their dosage, then add other drugs to the mix because of a continuous shift in the effectiveness of the medication. ADD then becomes a sort of moving target.
Old 05-08-05, 10:21 PM

HughEvans is on a distinguished road
It could happen. Typically you have to spend the first several months building up to a dose that works and it will have the same effect. Needing to add on another 5 or 10mg a bit later isn't uncommon. Unfortunately, ADHD is not easily quantified. Radiological studies have found physiological differences in the ADHD brain but they are cost prohibitive for use as a diagnostic in normal treatment. You have to go by feel.