ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Exercise
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-15, 04:53 AM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,821 Times in 660 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute
Exercise is my drug

I had an injury for 8 months, so I couldn't exercise that much... only swimming and cycling.

Well, exercise is my #1 ADD medicine, especially running, so it sucked. Fortunately I have found the issue (flat feet) and I have the solution as well (insoles). Now I can run again, and run about 20k per week, in addition to 2 swimming sessions and 1 long bike ride. I'm just starting.

I like the challenge. I feel like I need that in my life. As you may have guessed I train for triathlons. I get easily bored with things, so doing 3 sports in 1 is ideal for me. There is a lot of variation and SO much to learn! Competitions are lovely as well. One of my goals of this year is to end one competition in the top 10% and I think I will succeed (my last one, which I did without training I finished in the top 30%). I consider myself lucky to be able to do this.

I just need such challenges in order to feel alive. So I have accepted this, I will continue to push myself. I hope to do an Ironman somewhere this year, and that's just the start. They say that when you go for thrills you need bigger and bigger ones. Like a drug addict. Well that's too bad then, but my brain is like this.

Of course I'll use that brain to every now and then to think and stuff. I don't like to get really addicted to this.

But the main reason that I like exercise is that it helps me to get my brain under control - which is essential to be able to manage my life well. I get rid of my stress, I can concentrate much better and I have more willpower. And all of that for doing something I enjoy!

Do you feel the same about exercising and what do you do?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (05-23-15), Drogheda (05-23-15), Jenn1202 (06-06-15), Tmoney (05-21-15), TygerSan (05-23-15), Unmanagable (05-23-15)
Old 05-21-15, 08:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,847 Times in 1,167 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of
Re: Exercise is my drug

I dont like admitting this but I use to use the meds to get by, now it's exercise.

To survive when I was younger, I used exercise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (05-21-15)
Old 05-21-15, 08:07 AM

Thanked 3,322 Times in 1,306 Posts
Tmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond repute

Exercise is one of the main ingredients in the recipe for battling AD(H)D. I do whatever I can. If I can go to the gym I always make sure to include cardio. I push as hard as I can based on how I feel that day.
On days where I have no energy and feel blah, I may just walk and listen to music on the headphones and tune the world out for awhile. As long as your moving and pushing yourself it is going to be beneficial.

It's one of those things where you don't feel like doing it and then when you force yourself and get it done and it is such a good satisfying feeling!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tmoney For This Useful Post:
Drogheda (05-23-15), Jacksper (05-21-15), Pilgrim (05-21-15), Unmanagable (05-23-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-15, 08:12 AM

Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmoney View Post
Exercise is one of the main ingredients in the recipe for battling AD(H)D. I do whatever I can. If I can go to the gym I always make sure to include cardio. I push as hard as I can based on how I feel that day.
On days where I have no energy and feel blah, I may just walk and listen to music on the headphones and tune the world out for awhile. As long as your moving and pushing yourself it is going to be beneficial.

It's one of those things where you don't feel like doing it and then when you force yourself and get it done and it is such a good satisfying feeling!
I would say this. One good thing that I've learnt is to push harder. Even when I feel ****.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (05-24-15), Tmoney (05-21-15)
Old 05-23-15, 02:06 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 12,961 Times in 5,239 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. I'm so much happier since I started running.

I have a very hard time getting started, though. Inertia is a very hard thing to overcome, and I'm terrified about getting injured for that reason (once I've started, I'm good, but I get really frustrated if I've stopped and have lost conditioning). I used to be really into indoor climbing (reminds me that I really need to get back into it over the summer, maybe even go outside).

Right now, I've been running for almost 2 years now. Have trained for 2 half-marathons, and am strongly considering training for a marathon this summer. Being mostly unemployed currently makes scheduling easy. I definitely wouldn't consider training for a marathon working 9-5. I don't think I'd wind up doing enough running during the week.

I don't always want to get out the door, but I feel great once I actually get out there.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (05-24-15), Pilgrim (06-07-15)
Old 05-23-15, 03:13 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,899 Times in 9,304 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Yes!!!! Exercise is life!!!

I'm still healing from a sprained ankle, which really sucks.

I *actually* picked a high-energy dog (she was the highest energy dog of her litter!) JUST so it would force me to go outside and get lots of daily exercise. (She goes crazy without it!!!)

My plan worked.

It helps relieve my anxiety and gives me a high.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (05-24-15), Pilgrim (06-07-15)
Old 05-23-15, 08:13 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,684 Times in 8,853 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Purposeful movement of any sort helps keep me out of my head. I don't run, and if you see me running, you better run, too, because that means something's after my a**. LOL

But I love to walk/hike, dance, do yoga, still trying to learn to hula hoop, and gardening can be quite the workout depending on the tool at hand. There's also something incredibly therapeutic, to me, in getting my feet and hands in the dirt, then seeing things grow from my efforts. Good stuff.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (05-24-15)
Old 05-24-15, 03:04 AM
Forum Guru

Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute

@all - great to read that exercise is so good for you as well!

My belief in the greatness of exercise has once again been confirmed; I've been exercising for two weeks now and let me tell you... I feel SO good again!

This is important, because since three or four weeks ago things started going worse again; couldn't motivate myself to do anything except for the bare necessities - luckily I managed to do my final two exams (somehow I passed one of them with a good mark and the other one is not graded yet, but will probably be good as well) after studying for one or two hours. So I survived, but nothing more than that. I have this final report that I should write; it takes about three or four weeks, but I have only spent one day on it. You can write it whenever you want, but I want to write it now - because it's the last thing I need to do for my studies, after that I am done. But unfortunately my brain was on lazy mode, even light depression mode for those weeks.

But: two weeks ago I started exercising and I feel my brain chemistry is changing; I feel so good!

My stress is lower; when I feel frustrated/stressed out - instead of sitting in my room and doing nothing and getting deeper in some depressed state I now have the option of doing a run, which I did very often. Luckily my leg (which was injured) can take much more than I expected. This week I ran 23 km, next week I'll do 25 (from now on I change my weekly distance with 5-10% max). When I did my run I feel like a new day has started; if I felt bad about something I have let go of it and if I was lazy I feel the need to get things done. It's very fulfilling!

This works on the short term, but on the long term I notice improvement too; I don't get deeper and deeper in my depressed state, because I "clean up" my head very often. Like I said during exercise I let go of things that bother me. I think it is not only because exercise makes me feel good in general, but also because I can concentrate my thoughts very well and think things through (yay dopamine! ). So I can think quite rationally and I see that things are not as bad as they seem. So these worries don't stick in my head for long and so they don't continue drag me down deeper and deeper.

I also feel that exercise is great for my self-confidence and self-image. It makes me feel strong! Especially yesterday's workout worked very well for this; I ran 5 kilometers to the river, swam 1 kilometer in it and then ran the 5k back to home. Nobody's swimming yet, because the water is too cold, but I took my wetsuit with me. It was a nice adventure and it felt so good! Today I will repair my bike and I'll cycle for 40 km or so, exploring an area near my town that I've never visited yet. The next adventure.

But first I'll do some chores and I'll do a few hours of studying, because my study is my main priority now. Now that I can exercise again I feel that I can do this!

This week I plan to exercise 9 times; 3 * running, 2 * strength training, 2 * biking and 2 * swimming. I'll do it in 6 days, so I have one break day, and of course I'll listen to my body; if something feels out of whack I just skip a session. I've made schedule (one of the few schedules that I am motivated to keep), 6 out of 9 sessions are planned at the end of the after noon/early evening (17.00-18.30). Then I can get rid of the stress of the workday and I can have positive/productive evenings!

Last edited by Jacksper; 05-24-15 at 03:17 AM..
Old 05-24-15, 03:26 AM
Suspended Account

Skyf@ll is a splendid one to beholdSkyf@ll is a splendid one to beholdSkyf@ll is a splendid one to beholdSkyf@ll is a splendid one to beholdSkyf@ll is a splendid one to beholdSkyf@ll is a splendid one to beholdSkyf@ll is a splendid one to behold

I used to be boring and just do weightlifting, but have took more of an interest in running etc over the past few months.

Quite fancy training for one of those tough mudder courses, something different.

Suppose you gotta mix it up a bit to keep it interesting.
Old 05-24-15, 03:41 AM
Forum Guru

Great that you stopped torturing yourself, doing (just) a form of exercise that you didn't enjoy. The results of weightlifting can be great and very useful to support other sports, but I find it not fulfilling enough by itself. As you can read I am a firm believer that exercise can be great and I always think it's sad when people just exercise because they have to, finding no joy in it - because they aren't looking for it; they suppose exercise is "just not fun". There's hundreds of different sports that you can do and so many ways you can make your training sessions interesting!

Running is my favorite as well! Cool that you're going to do a tough mudder, I'm sure that will be an awesome experience!

Having a mix of many different sports is even better! There is so much to learn and so much to do, getting bored is just not possible
Old 05-24-15, 07:16 AM
Suspended Account

Skyf@ll is a splendid one to beholdSkyf@ll is a splendid one to beholdSkyf@ll is a splendid one to beholdSkyf@ll is a splendid one to beholdSkyf@ll is a splendid one to beholdSkyf@ll is a splendid one to beholdSkyf@ll is a splendid one to behold

No I did enjoy it, however I meant other people may thought I was boring for just sticking to weights lol

Its good to see a change not only in your body composition but the amount you can lift. But then I was like hey, I want to get "fit" as well!

Where I'm from the majority of guys in the gym just want to get "big" but they probably couldnt even run a couple of miles without passing out lol

I admire the guys that do the Ironman triathlons, it is a superhuman feat.
Old 06-06-15, 11:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Jenn1202 will become famous soon enough

YES! I play sports, go running, walk a lot, do gymnastics, go rock climbing, and randomly try new activities and extreme sports. I recently also started learning how to skateboard and I'm planning on taking a trapeze class soon, because it looks like a ton of fun.

I've had times when I got sick for several months and couldn't exercise. I was so miserable and my ADHD got so much worse!
Rx: 2007-2012: Ritalin LA 30, Ritalin IR 10 X 2; 2013: Daytrana 10; Jan-Jul 2014: Ritalin IR 10mg; Aug 2014: Adderall IR 5mg; Sep 2014: Dex IR 5mg (Barr/Mal); Nov 2015: Zenzedi 5mg; 2016: off meds; Current : Zenzedi 5mg
Dx: 2004: ADHD, 2012: Hyperthyroidism, medication-induced rapid heartbeat/palpitations; 2013: Hashimoto's, PVCs/PACs; 2014: Innocent heart murmur, 2016: Roemheld syndrome and the list goes on and on..

Last edited by Jenn1202; 06-06-15 at 11:43 PM..
Old 06-07-15, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn1202 View Post
YES! I play sports, go running, walk a lot, do gymnastics, go rock climbing, and randomly try new activities and extreme sports. I recently also started learning how to skateboard and I'm planning on taking a trapeze class soon, because it looks like a ton of fun.

I've had times when I got sick for several months and couldn't exercise. I was so miserable and my ADHD got so much worse!
We should meet. Although I live in Australia.

Just played Basketball for 3 hours. No bruising or anything.
Old 01-27-16, 04:48 AM
ADDvanced Member

windsoul will become famous soon enough

I actually go to the gym, and try to focus

it can be distracting when there are so many people sometimes though - and sometimes intimidating when there are brutes who want to do their heavy lifting, and you're having anxiety/trouble focusing and trying to stick with what YOU are doing instead of looking at other people.

but I'm doing more bench-pressing (which i did years ago) again and feel awesome. along with proper eating
Old 01-27-16, 05:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

windsoul will become famous soon enough

i don't like the 'getting really addicted' aspect too.

I tried talking to girls for a while last year and it suddenly became an over-focus on top of all priorities. Because your adhd brain doesn't think of anything else when you are having fun/stimulation.

Now I focus primarily on weight lifting, and yes, I do lose track of time at the gym occasionally but it's better than losing track of time at a bar or cafes.
The Following User Says Thank You to windsoul For This Useful Post:
casper (05-15-16)