ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 07-23-15, 12:31 PM

Austinnou88 is on a distinguished road
Neurotransmitters

Not sure if I posted this in the correct area of the forum, if not let me know!

I have suffered from Anxiety for a while now, following me winging off Vyvanse due to the side effects. I was looking online about trying to fix damaged Neurotransmitters and found a lot of information with many pros/cons, mixed reviews, and many different sides of stories and cannot really find a legit answer. I was just wondering, is there any way besides eating healthy to test/fix damaged Neurotransmitters that are legit ways?
Old 07-23-15, 02:20 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,281 Times in 13,268 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Neurotransmitters

What do you think damaged your neurotransmitters?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 07-23-15, 04:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,352 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

Neurotransmitters are substances in your brain. They can't be broken. Brain tissue can be damaged, but, unless a neurologist told you that you have brain damage, you're very unlikely to have that. The levels of neurotransmitters in your brain do change due to drugs or medication- it's why they work on you, but mostly in the short-term. Long-term changes are very unlikely if you take prescription medication.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
qanda (07-23-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-15, 11:25 PM
Contributor

qanda will become famous soon enough

I think the biggest problem with trying to increase or decrease neurotransmitters is that science can't even figure out which ones we are high or low in that lead to all anxiety. For example, GABA is a neurotransmitter that helps us feel calm, and Xanax is supposed to quickly act on increasing GABA. It helps almost everyone with anxiety feel calm quickly (although docs are careful giving this out as it's addictive). But for my daughter, who was having anxiety/panic attacks, Xanax did nothing to help, even at pretty high doses. This seemed weird to me, but after looking at some forums, there are a small percentage of people that do not find relief of their anxiety from Xanax. So their anxiety must be different somehow. So until there is a way to test for the neurotransmitters that need changing, I am afraid meds and alternative treatments are bit of trial and error, especially for those who have atypical reactions to treatments that work for the majority.

There are studies trying to help, basically identifying which meds work best for each category of an illness, based on exact symptoms and even brain imaging. But it's not here yet.

So I would say if your pocketbook & patience will allow, buy something and try it, and if it doesn't help, try something else.