ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-05, 09:27 PM
Contributor

Fly Away is on a distinguished road
Sensory overload and ear plugs

I ordered the ear plugs that someone suggested in another thread. I have had major problems with filtering out sounds. I get on overload and then get wound up something awful. This was really interferring with my kids since I have 3 childrena dn my house is not exactly quiet.

I let the kids have friends over and we were making pizzas. The kitchen was a zoo. The noise level was increasing and I began to feel my usual sensory overload until I remembered my new ear plugs. I put them in and almost instantly I relaxed. The ear plugs filter out enough sound that the background sounds are pretty muffled but you can hear conversations fine. Even now as I type I have 4 boys wrestling in the same room as I am. A minute or so ago I was reading the paper while 3 girls were horsing around in the next room.

Its amazing how this has worked. Usually the noise will set me off and then I become overly sensitive to everything. For some reason stopping the noise short circuits this cycle and I stay relaxed.

Thank you, thank you, thank you whoever recommended these ear plugs- best 12.00 I ever spent!
Old 04-22-05, 09:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

Dreeza has disabled reputation
were those the etymotic ones!??

i started that thread

i still havent actually ordered mine (im in no rush cause classes are over)

Glad to hear they are working...do you think they would work well in for a class lecture?

-Andrea
Old 04-22-05, 11:28 PM
Contributor

Fly Away is on a distinguished road
Yes, those are the ones. I think they would work fine in a class lecture. I find what they advertised to be true. I can hear normal conversation just fine- it sounds just a little like you're underwater but its not too bad- better than the loud noise if you're senstive to it. As I sat down to the computer my kids have the tv on in the same room. I can just barely hear it but if someone talks to me I can hear and respond. I can just faintly (have to strain) to hear my dogs barking in the garage. Normally they would be driving me nuts if they went on for more than just a couple barks.

I think they are worth a try for 12.00. Even if they don't work in the lecture (which I think they would though) they would really come in handy at sporting events. I am even going to try them at Walmart- if I eer get brave enough to go back there after the disaster i experienced the last time I was there. I HATE to shop because it puts me on sensory overload. I don't think of it being so noisy in stores but I think when I have to try to read labels or look for something specific the noise level really bothers me because I can't read or think straight in any kind of noise.

Thank you again for posting your thread. I am happily sitting here relaxed with 9 people in the house, all with their accompying noise - tvs, wrestling, giggling, screaming- well I think you got the idea
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fly Away For This Useful Post:
danielj (02-17-11), gadeacy (02-01-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-11, 04:02 PM

gadeacy is on a distinguished road
Re: Sensory overload and ear plugs

i am looking to buy the ear plugs you have mentioned, but need more information please. My graddaughter is having a very hard time in kindergarten and I am hoping to help her.

Thanks for any information you can provide about the ear plugs.
Old 02-01-11, 07:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,614 Times in 3,931 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

$12? Damn mine were $90. Well mine are more ear phones with a sort of surround sound. I prefer to drown out noises by music.
I'd still get overloaded by the amount of mess the kids were making.
Old 02-01-11, 07:36 PM
Forum ADDvocate

hypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to all

those would be great durig tests. i might get some and ask my teacher if i can use them.

"If you're not fighting gravity, you're falling." -me

"I'm not lost, I know exactly where I'm not."
Old 02-01-11, 08:06 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 12,773 Times in 6,528 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Can you see these ear plugs?
Long-term, we must begin to build our internal strengths. It isn't just skills like computer technology. It's the old-fashioned basics of self-reliance, self-motivation, self-reinforcement, self-discipline, self-command.

~Steven Pressfield
Old 02-01-11, 08:28 PM
Forum ADDvocate

hypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to allhypergirl96 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
Can you see these ear plugs?
http://www.amazon.com/ETYMOTIC-RESEA.../dp/B000CC1RPS

"If you're not fighting gravity, you're falling." -me

"I'm not lost, I know exactly where I'm not."
Old 02-02-11, 03:32 AM

OrchidVN is on a distinguished road

Interesting that this, too, is associated with ADHD. I go crazy trying to block out noises. Now I usually listen to white noise and wear earplugs when trying to concentrate. Question: will this get better on medication? It's one of my worst symptoms.
Old 02-02-11, 04:08 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Bezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory View Post
$12? Damn mine were $90. Well mine are more ear phones with a sort of surround sound. I prefer to drown out noises by music.
I'd still get overloaded by the amount of mess the kids were making.
You can buy Etymotic ear plugs without having to buy earphones.

Which earphones did you get? Mine completely cancel outside sound even at low volume, but I paid a pretty penny for them. I'm a bit of a headphone snob. hahaha

Writer and general kook with ADHD, OCD, TS, depression, and monkey arms. I regularly blog about those things. I also write other fun stuff.
Old 02-02-11, 07:19 PM

Thanked 7,614 Times in 3,931 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezuidenthustra View Post
You can buy Etymotic ear plugs without having to buy earphones.

Which earphones did you get? Mine completely cancel outside sound even at low volume, but I paid a pretty penny for them. I'm a bit of a headphone snob. hahaha
Oh me too. If it's under $50 I don't want them. They're a specific brand, Skull Candy and they are noise cancelling and the ear bud goes right into the ear. I prefer to have music to listen to.
Anyway the ear buds look pretty much the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchidVN View Post
Interesting that this, too, is associated with ADHD. I go crazy trying to block out noises. Now I usually listen to white noise and wear earplugs when trying to concentrate. Question: will this get better on medication? It's one of my worst symptoms.
It's not just an ADHD thing but most people with brain disorders aren't able to filter out sound.
When I started meds my sensory issues decreased but then that stopped as I went on higher doses. I'm back on a lose dose and haven't noticed a change yet.
I think SSRI's actually made mys sensory issues worse.
Old 02-02-11, 07:55 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Bezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory View Post
Oh me too. If it's under $50 I don't want them. They're a specific brand, Skull Candy and they are noise cancelling and the ear bud goes right into the ear. I prefer to have music to listen to.
Anyway the ear buds look pretty much the same.
My experience with Skull Candy was that they didn't seal well, but that could've just been my wonky ears.

Writer and general kook with ADHD, OCD, TS, depression, and monkey arms. I regularly blog about those things. I also write other fun stuff.
Old 02-03-11, 12:24 AM

Thanked 1,473 Times in 779 Posts
tipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezuidenthustra View Post
My experience with Skull Candy was that they didn't seal well, but that could've just been my wonky ears.

Skullcandy is for hipsters who care more about the looks of headphones than the sound. And they will NEVER get back to you on a warranty claim

I have a pair of Klipsh Image S4 headphones, they are very good at passive sound cancellation and the sound quality is great. A few reviews say that despite being under 80, they are hard to beat until you get to 200+ dollar headphones.
Old 02-03-11, 01:33 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post
Skullcandy is for hipsters who care more about the looks of headphones than the sound. And they will NEVER get back to you on a warranty claim

I have a pair of Klipsh Image S4 headphones, they are very good at passive sound cancellation and the sound quality is great. A few reviews say that despite being under 80, they are hard to beat until you get to 200+ dollar headphones.
Hey, I was just looking for some cheap workout earphones. Take 'er easy. I'm not exactly a fan of Skull Candy, but beggars can't be choosers. hahaha

I have Shure 420SE in-ears which are amazingly accurate and still have warmth (although I'd prefer a touch more bass, but if contemporary mp3-player manufacturers would start including graphic equalizer applications, this wouldn't be an issue). Of course, they're also expensive.

I like Klipsch. If they had a good pair of in-ears at under $60 I'd jump at it, but I haven't found any in a store near me. I still need a new workout pair.

Old 02-03-11, 02:32 PM

Thanked 16,920 Times in 7,968 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypergirl96 View Post
In reading the reviews, I seem them mentioning that they can be uncomfortable and that they come in at least a couple of different sizes. My question is: how would a person know before ordering what size would work best?