ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-16, 01:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,525 Times in 5,692 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Everyone's suddenly bipolar, and I'm sick of it.

I'm bipolar and I'm Winning!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-07-17)
Old 01-09-16, 01:15 PM

Thanked 10,525 Times in 5,692 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

One day weather was so up n down for a week I said at work sheesh god must be having so overwhelmed he's having a bipolar week.I've never seen people laugh so hard before
Old 01-15-16, 04:50 AM

Phesto will become famous soon enough

I think the shift is due to the expanded understanding of how Bipolar can manifest. It's understood that it is no longer solely categorized as Manic-Depressive where they bounce between a 1/10 and a 10/10 on their mood. Bipolar II is a separate subcategory that was added because people were still demonstrating fluctuations in mood without transitioning to full blown mania.

Given that, many Bipolar cases may be difficult to distinguish from unipolar Depression and are often mistakenly treated that way. What is most unfortunate about this is that the SSRI antidepressasnts frequently used as first line treatments for Depression don't have the same effect on bipolar patients and have shown that they can result in a worse outcome than if they hadn't taken the medication.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phesto For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-09-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-16, 07:25 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,852 Times in 14,133 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phesto View Post
I think the shift is due to the expanded understanding of how Bipolar can manifest. It's understood that it is no longer solely categorized as Manic-Depressive where they bounce between a 1/10 and a 10/10 on their mood. Bipolar II is a separate subcategory that was added because people were still demonstrating fluctuations in mood without transitioning to full blown mania.

Given that, many Bipolar cases may be difficult to distinguish from unipolar Depression and are often mistakenly treated that way. What is most unfortunate about this is that the SSRI antidepressasnts frequently used as first line treatments for Depression don't have the same effect on bipolar patients and have shown that they can result in a worse outcome than if they hadn't taken the medication.
I agree with you about ssri's. They really didnt work for me. I have only done well with an SNRI.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-09-16, 03:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

AddAnxiousMe is a glorious beacon of lightAddAnxiousMe is a glorious beacon of lightAddAnxiousMe is a glorious beacon of lightAddAnxiousMe is a glorious beacon of lightAddAnxiousMe is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
In the 90's there was the stigma of the "ritalin" kids- all hyper boys whose parents wanted to zombify them, this was before a lot was known about treating adhd. Now, every bad thing that happens, the person is bipolar and stopped taking their medication. First of all, I know alot of this is the media and I hate the fact that the media carries so much influence, but that seems to be the way things are. Its making me f**king nuts. Most people with treated bipolar live perfectly normal lives- certain things about bipolar never change for some people-rapid cycling or manic episodes. I have very few manic/cycling episodes now that I have the right med combo but that doesnt mean I am cured. It doesnt mean that when I am truly happy or "up" Im getting manic. It doesnt mean when I am sad that I am falling into an unwarranted deep depression. Do not invalidate what I feel because you think you understand what the "bipolars" feel like. Do not imply that I must be off my meds.
We are not crazy. We are not criminal. Some of us cant take meds, and we should not be made to feel defective if thats the case. Some of us do take meds, and still suffer. Many of us have comorbids.
It seems like lately, whenever there is some off the wall crime, they link bipolar to it, its like a new thing. Its becoming hip in a weird sort of way to say youre bipolar.
People throw around the term to describe their change in moods.
If I hear " Im like bipolar today" one more time I might scream.
If you dont have it, dont claim it. If you dont understand it, shut your mouth. If you dont get it, dont talk about it as if you do. Reading about bipolar and living with it are not the same thing.
Most people with bipolar arent one to volunteer the info, like some badge of honor. If anything, the shame keeps us silent.
Mental Health awareness? PFFT. Yeah, right. I dont know anyone other than some people here, my doctors and close family that understand mental illness.
Put an end to the stigma. Stop the shame. If you participate in the jokes about it, you are perpetuating the stigma.
Trying to get well is hard enough. Trying to get well in a culture of shame and misconceptions feels impossible.
This is an interesting post and I also feel the aggravation that you manifest in it. And you're so right about the joke of "Mental Health Awareness". My brother and I go to the same doctor. I have had a hard time with agoraphobia/severe panic disorder and depression that has made working very difficult for me all of my life. My brother suffers more with GAD and depression, but he has a Class A Engineer's license and has had some good jobs. But when he discussed about applying for a new position, our doctor told him not to disclose that he takes medication or sees a psychiatrist! He said that although he is a staunch advocate for mental health awareness, he has had patients who disclosed their problems at job interviews and didn't get the position. He said that even though they aren't supposed to discriminate, they do it all the time. He said he's seen it happen too many times and that's why he advised my brother to keep his mouth shut.
Sad but true.
Old 12-12-16, 03:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

jkimbo will become famous soon enough

I think in the past 10 years being bipolar has become kind of hip. If they kept the old name, manic depressant, I doubt that would have happened lol

I was diagnosed as a manic depressant in 1987 and I was afraid to tell anyone! But now it's only bipolar, and there are memes and so many Hollywood stars have come out as being bipolar I think that has had a impact on the sudden explosion of new BP people. Just my 2 cents.
The Following User Says Thank You to jkimbo For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-12-16)
Old 12-12-16, 03:51 PM

Thanked 21,922 Times in 7,990 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

For just a small start I would like to see stigma rooted out of the medical professions top to bottom. That is the bare minimum and people with mental illness deserve treatment without stigma from all medical personel.

If we're going to put pressure somewhere this is the place to start. It hurts us a lot more when a professional is vlabbering away ablism to all and sundry.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-12-16), Lunacie (12-12-16)
Old 05-07-17, 09:19 PM
Contributor

Arei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to all

I admit I make a ton of bipolar weather jokes (because Texas weather is officially bipolar, there's no question. It just is.).. Actually I make a ton of bipolar jokes. It probably should bother me more than it does. I'm not really ashamed of being bipolar. I'm quite honest about it with people and speak openly because I want people to know that its *not* the dramatized ******** that the media portrays bipolar people to be.

From the people that I know personally, and see and talk to working in pharmacy, bipolar people are pretty damn normal. The people that the media calls "bipolar people off their meds" when crimes are committed and use that as a term to describe someone who's mentally ill and has done something horrendous; they usually have A LOT more going on than *just* being bipolar or they're not even bipolar at all. They've got something a lot more serious going on there. Being bipolar has nothing to do with what they did at all.

Addressing an above post, I wouldn't say i'm bipolar in a job interview, no, but I am open about it with my boss and coworkers (hell I fill all my meds where I work they can see all the **** I'm on LOL). Things were rocky until I DID open up about being bipolar, and then everyone became a lot more understanding. I'm also open about it with my friends. Its actually my family I can't be 100% open about it with because they just don't want to believe there's something going on with me or something (well, my mom is understanding but she doesn't want to consider me bipolar. My grandpa thinks I'm just lazy). The mental illness really stems from my dad's family, but I don't talk to his jerk *** (honestly wouldn't be surprised if he is bipolar, as was his dad too).

I really don't notice that many people claiming to be bipolar when they're really not but the bipolar jokes are pretty prevalent. People claiming their computer is bipolar, their cat is bipolar, stuff like that. Otherwise its mostly weather jokes around me because thats a long-standing joke here. But I definitely don't shy away from bringing awareness to what being bipolar is all about so I'm always up for educating folks. I really don't have to do it often though. It might be different for some of yall in the older crowd thats been fighting the stigma and prejudice for decades, but for a lot of the people that I encounter in my regular life it kinda seems like being bipolar is an "eh, whatever" thing. Except people are nicer to you because you HAVE to be on medication because you can't help being bipolar whilst "depressed" people can *do* something about their depression that doesn't require medication... but that's another loaded topic. People are stupid.

It does seem like the perception of bipolar IS changing, though. Some of it is positive change.