ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-15, 01:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

Rudegar has a spectacular aura aboutRudegar has a spectacular aura about
private forums for religious people

I would like to talk with people who share my faith and do so in a private forum. Is it possible to get private forums based on each religion?

"At least I got to see some cool colors."
The Following User Says Thank You to Rudegar For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-04-15)
Old 09-02-15, 04:45 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,088 Times in 11,707 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: private forums for religious people

I don't think we're allowed to discuss religion on this forum ...
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)
The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-04-15)
Old 09-02-15, 05:01 AM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,722 Times in 8,884 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your suggestion.

We are due for a site upgrade and restructuring soon.

Your suggestion will be forwarded to the Site Owner and Administrators and taken into consideration.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (09-03-15), Lizzie80 (12-13-15), namazu (09-04-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-15, 11:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
I don't think we're allowed to discuss religion on this forum ...
Why?

What would be wrong with discussing religion?

The Following User Says Thank You to Rudegar For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-04-15)
Old 09-03-15, 11:48 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,135 Times in 8,154 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudegar View Post
Why?

From the guidelines (my bold):

Quote:
Banned Topics:
* The main focus of ADD Forums is to provide a safe supportive place for people affected by AD/HD, and other co-morbid disorders. To do this, sometimes we must limit the scope of the permitted topics, to foster such a supportive environment.

* We have had issues arise here that have prevented this from happening - primarily members voicing their opinions about religious and political matters. While everyone is allowed their own opinions, there really is no other way to prevent such issues from "disturbing the peace", except to keep these things completely out of the ADD Forums in the first place.

* It is against ADD Forums Guidelines to discuss religious and political matters on the ADD Forums.

This includes:

* All Posts
* All Signatures
* ADD Forums Chat
* Private messages (complaint driven)
* Email sent through ADD Forums (complaint driven)
* Social Groups (and the messages therein)
* Blogs
* Profile Messages
* Gallery Comments

and may include, but are not limited to:

* War
* Terrorism
* Religion
* Patriotism
* Democracy
* Racism
* Ethnicity
* Politics
Old 09-04-15, 12:04 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,458 Times in 9,115 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

ADDF Guidelines generally prohibit discussion of religion on the open forum, as Midnightstar said.

This is because such discussions (whether involving people who adhere to a particular faith, or people who don't follow a particular faith -- and especially the combination!) have historically led to some pretty intense arguments. Those kinds of arguments fed into an atmosphere that wasn't very welcoming or supportive, which ran counter to the purpose of the forum is ADHD-related support and information.

That said, there are a couple of exceptions:

- We have a "Meditation and Spirituality" subforum. Even there, things like proselytization/evangelizing and religion-bashing aren't permitted. However, it is a section of the forum where people can discuss how their spiritual practices affect, or are affected by, their ADHD. Here are the Meditation and Spirituality section's specific guidelines.

- There is a private "Debates" subforum, where some topics not generally allowed on the open forum can be discussed civilly. (However, I sense that you're seeking fellowship with like-minded individuals, rather than "debate", so this probably wouldn't fit the bill.)

If a private forum for discussion of religion were to be established, then obviously religious discussion would be allowed there. There would still probably be some ground rules to avoid the "X belief is stupid!" / "Oh yeah, well you're all going to Not-Nice-Place!" types of arguments that have caused problems in the past, and which do no one any good.

Anyway, as Abi noted above, we're waiting for David, the site owner, to upgrade the forum software, and I suspect at that time some of the forum sections may be modified. Meanwhile, the staff will take your suggestion into consideration and try to figure out what might need to happen to balance the desire to discuss religion with the need to keep the peace on the forum overall.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Abi (09-04-15), Flory (09-07-15)
Old 09-04-15, 12:05 AM

Thanked 31,948 Times in 14,402 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why?

just as an FYI: there are ways to discuss religion here, just not debating it.

there is a spirituality and meditation section of the forums in the treatments section. one cannot proselytize, but it is ok to talk about how one's spiritual or other similar practice helps in coping with adhd and/or co existing conditions.

it is limited to that context, and if you'd like more information, definitely visit the section and read the stickied guidelines posted there. the section is NOT for debate and it is only for people to discuss what has worked and not critique others' practices. e.g. one can say x works for me, but not by also saying y is crap. http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158 http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34038

if you have further questions about that section, feel free to message me or ask them here.

as anon posted, no, discussion of religion more broadly is not permitted on the open forum. we do have a debates section and people can and do discuss religion there. it is still necessary that the etiquette guidelines are followed in that section, but if you'd like the password, again, just message me.

finally, though this is not a place to discuss religion apart from the very strict boundaries i outlined above on the 'public' sections, whether people are interested in having a private section for religious discussion is something that, the more people responding and saying they are interested or opposed, might help admin in deciding how some things are restructured. it may not, but i don't think it hurts to post on this thread if others ARE interested in a private section for religious discussion.

cheers,
-peri
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Abi (09-04-15), namazu (09-04-15), Stevuke79 (11-25-15)
Old 09-04-15, 12:41 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,360 Times in 751 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

I would love a section for specifically to discuss how my ADHD/Depression/Anxiety impact my Christian faith and practice. I can literally discuss all other aspects of my life here but that one and it's frustrating. My issues have impacted relationship with God and I want to talk about it with Christian people here.

We are an eclectic, diverse group and this forum is a lifeline for so many. I think not having a sections for people to talk about this part of their lives is a big weakness of the forum.

I think that all major religions should be represented or perhaps add private forums as adherents request it.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (12-13-15), namazu (09-04-15), Rudegar (09-04-15)
Old 09-04-15, 03:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

I just want to talk about adhd with people of my faith which is why I suggested private forums for this. no debates no arguments hate etc just people of the same faith talking about the unique beliefs and how adhd bring unique challenges and situations to life with adhd that other people wouldnt understand and I wouldnt want to discuss with those who dont share the religion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rudegar For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (09-04-15), namazu (09-04-15)
Old 09-04-15, 03:38 AM

Thanked 31,948 Times in 14,402 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

if you would like to draft a thread start and message it to me, i can tell you if it's appropriate for the spirituality/meditation section. from how you describe it, it sounds like it could work there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Abi (09-04-15), finallyfound10 (11-25-15), namazu (09-04-15), Stevuke79 (11-25-15)
Old 09-04-15, 03:54 AM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,722 Times in 8,884 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely sounds like something that will be appropriate for M & S

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-04-15)
Old 09-07-15, 11:05 AM
Contributor

RobboW is a name known to allRobboW is a name known to allRobboW is a name known to allRobboW is a name known to allRobboW is a name known to allRobboW is a name known to allRobboW is a name known to all

I'd participate in it too :-)
I don't post much but this is an aspect that can do with some like minded sharing.
Old 09-07-15, 02:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,885 Times in 11,055 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Pagan and had an experience last Winter Solstice that is related to my
ADHD that would have been good to discuss with people who both have ADHD
and share my spiritual path. I did discuss it with other Pagans, but none who
actually have ADHD.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (11-25-15), namazu (09-07-15)
Old 09-10-15, 10:07 PM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

Sorry deleted post off topic.

P
Old 09-12-15, 06:56 PM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
I would like to talk with people who share my faith and do so in a private forum. Is it possible to get private forums based on each religion?
That would be "roughly 4,200" private forums.

Quote:
According to some estimates, there are roughly 4,200 religions in the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ual_traditions

P
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-12-15)
Closed Thread