ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-15, 04:24 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,360 Times in 751 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future
Re: private forums for religious people

Instead of starting with all 4,200 just start with the top 5 and then see what other adherents request.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 12-13-15, 11:28 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Lizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
I would love a section for specifically to discuss how my ADHD/Depression/Anxiety impact my Christian faith and practice. I can literally discuss all other aspects of my life here but that one and it's frustrating. My issues have impacted relationship with God and I want to talk about it with Christian people here.

We are an eclectic, diverse group and this forum is a lifeline for so many. I think not having a sections for people to talk about this part of their lives is a big weakness of the forum.

I think that all major religions should be represented or perhaps add private forums as adherents request it.
I second these thoughts, and concur that adding a separate area within the forums for people of like-minded religious faith would be a great idea.

I do think it might need to have a guideline of membership with some history (in all the forums together) of showing one writes respectful posts in general. I say that only as a possible requirement that might make the mods, regular members, and those of certain faith a bit more comfortable with the idea. A genuinely interested, thoughtful, respectful person on the forums should have no problem wanting to wait out that little trial period, IMHO. Just an idea...
Old 12-14-15, 12:36 AM

Thanked 31,943 Times in 14,398 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i see this thread/idea continues to be of interest to many and i'll be sure admin is aware.

i do have a couple of further questions that might help see what can be done in the meantime to provide a place for these discussions and one note. the note is: i can't imagine there would be a separate section for each religion. however, possibly something could be done for a section and then within that section there could be subsections or it would be divided by each thread. if you look at medications, i tend to think the best case scenario would be to have subsections as we have for medications, but that might be far too much.

in the meantime, we do have forum groups. the drawback of a group is that you can't start threads, per se. but you could have a discussion there. any member is welcome to create a group and you can have one where only invited people may post in it. the other suggestion, as i and a couple of other noted above, is to use the spirituality/meditation group. now, that group does have some strict limits; e.g. no proselytizing and no debate. that said, from what people have posted, it doesn't sound like debate is what's wanted. it sounds like you want a place to share your experiences with others of like persuasion. talking about how your practice/faith/beliefs affect your adhd/co existing conditions and/or how your mental health concerns impact your practice/faith/beliefs wouldn't, out of hand, fall afoul of our guidelines for that section.

i see none posting on this thread have started new threads in m&s, so i have some questions:

1. can you explain why the current meditation/spirituality section would not accommodate your needs? (the section is, admittedly, about sharing experiences, things that help cope with adhd and other mental health concerns. people are prohibited from debating general or specific aspects of belief systems and comparing the merit/flaws of this or that practice/belief/faith. it is also not permitted to make blanket statements disparaging or insulting religious traditions or practitioners.

*some of the above topics, as written, would certainly be in line with our guidelines, so i'm wondering what other factors are keeping people from posting there, so...

2. If your topic could be posted there (isn't proselytizing, and isn't a debate, doesn't violate non discrimination, doesn't attack another group, etc), why have you not posted it in meditation/spirituality?

3. is it central to the issues raised here that you want a private (not visible on the open forum) place?

4. is it central to the issues raised here that you want to restrict those who can post on your thread(s)? (e.g. you want only persons of some (but not necessarily your own) religion/practice/faith to post on a thread you make, you only want persons of the same religion/practice/faith to post on a thread you make.)

i appreciate anyone taking the time to clarify how this request is not currently accommodated by the meditation/spirituality section and, as noted above, will let admin know this continues to be something of interest. finally, my offer to read over any drafts you would like to post in the meditation/spirituality section to ensure guideline compliance still stands. just send me a private message.

cheers,
-peri
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Abi (12-14-15), Greyhound1 (02-02-16), midnightstar (12-14-15), namazu (12-14-15), stef (12-14-15), Unmanagable (12-14-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-15, 06:29 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,952 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Some religious people might wish to avoid any chance of discovering or acknowledging that their religion is not significantly different from the religion of their neighbours, or even the religion of someone from a different part of the world.

Very often, if not always, belonging to a religious group includes a feeling - and it's a feeling often accompanied by official messages and declarations from the leaders - that one's own religious group is unique, special, and unlike all other religious groups. Being expected to accord a religious status equalling one's own to people from other religious groups, and being expected to discuss religious topics on an equal footing with them - thus essentially being required to drop one's claim to belong to the one and only unique and special group - can be a very uncomfortable prospect.

Luckily, I think none of this has anything to do with ADHD, and that separate forums would be not only a waste of effort but probably detrimental. Certainly people could have private discussions of religious matters, but in practice it might mean that members remove themselves entirely from the main forum and set up a segregated community within their private area, ignoring the real forum.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (12-14-15)
Old 02-02-16, 07:49 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,899 Times in 6,207 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Certainly people could have private discussions of religious matters, but in practice it might mean that members remove themselves entirely from the main forum and set up a segregated community within their private area, ignoring the real forum.
That would be great if that's what people want. As long as they adhere to Peri's guidelines they could publicly discuss the majority of it probably in M & S section. That section and the private forums are so slow.
Old 02-02-16, 08:48 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,899 Times in 9,304 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

I could really benefit from religious private forums right now here on ADDF.

But maybe I can make use of M & S.
Greyhound1 (02-02-16)
Old 02-03-16, 01:28 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,952 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
That would be great if that's what people want. As long as they adhere to Peri's guidelines they could publicly discuss the majority of it probably in M & S section. That section and the private forums are so slow.
I was referring to the fact that it might siphon away numbers from the regular membership so that the regular parts of the forum became underpopulated and less interesting - or, in other words, that the real forum might start to look "dead" because too many discussions were taking place in private.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (02-03-16)
Old 02-04-16, 01:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,803 Times in 12,853 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
I was referring to the fact that it might siphon away numbers from the regular membership so that the regular parts of the forum became underpopulated and less interesting - or, in other words, that the real forum might start to look "dead" because too many discussions were taking place in private.
I doubt it to be honest. I think, there are plenty of people who want to discuss things other than their religion and plenty of people who are happy to discuss things with people who don't share their particular faith.

It will probably be used just like the other private boards, sparingly and usually only when mods move a thread there.
Old 02-04-16, 03:59 PM
Forummarm

Thanked 7,880 Times in 2,449 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute

As an update to members, there are no plans to add another private forum to the long list of unused private sections. As it has been stated several times, shortly after ADDF came to be, we have had a Meditation and Spirituality sub-forum in the Treatments Section. The link to the section has been produced several times and can be used to begin discussions on the acceptable topics of Faith and health issues. The guidelines and terms and conditions for the section pre-date most participants in the thread and were established due to member conflicts concerning religion. Please note that as with any other section of the forums we do not restrict participation based on viewpoint, I say this in regards to the desire for exclusion and like-mindedness, noting that the only restriction to conversation in the section are debates and questions of validity. I encourage all interested parties to use the M&S sub-forum to address their faith and health.

Meditation and Spirituality Sub Forum Link

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andi For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (02-04-16), peripatetic (02-09-16)
Closed Thread