ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 10-20-15, 09:42 PM
Jr Member

hutch1 is on a distinguished road
Question Can someone please explain this?

Hey all,

I have been very frustrated with my adhd meds lately in that I am not getting the desired effects from them. I am prescribed dexedrine ir 10mg 2x daily after being on adderall ir 10mg 2x daily (switched due to unpleasant side effects).

My dr told me I can play around with the dose and skip days where I do not need to focus.

After taking 10mg twice on my first day I was incredibly irritable and angry and antisocial it was VERY unpleasant, so I decided to lower myself to just 10mg in the morning. Well I found that with even 10mg I was still very angry for no reason and highly antisocial.

For about a week then I simply took 5mg upon waking just to wake me up. No unpleasantness.

Well TODAY... I was very frustrated and took 40mg in the morning. WOW. Following an unpleasant beginning (increased heart rate, overly talkative etc signs of an increased dose) I found that I NEVER crashed! My mood was positive throughout the day! I was able to eat, focus, talk to my classmates, and complete several projects that have been hanging over my head.

WHAT GIVES???? WHY IS THERE NO CRASH ON 40mg for me but there is on 20/10??????

I am very dumbfounded. I hope someone can explain this too me.
Old 10-21-15, 12:26 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,952 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can someone please explain this?

Probably someone can explain what you want to know...

I can explain one thing though.

If it doesn't work, it's wrong. If it works, it's right.

And I suggest you try 30 if there was an unpleasant beginning with 40.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 10-21-15, 02:19 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,303 Times in 13,282 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch1 View Post

My dr told me I can play around with the dose and skip days where I do not need to focus.
Your doc prescribed you 20mg a day and told you you could play with the dosage to 40mg a day???

Quote:
Well TODAY... I was very frustrated and took 40mg in the morning. WOW. Following an unpleasant beginning (increased heart rate, overly talkative etc signs of an increased dose) I found that I NEVER crashed! My mood was positive throughout the day! I was able to eat, focus, talk to my classmates, and complete several projects that have been hanging over my head.
if your doctor is ok with this dose, it sounds like you have found your sweet spot.

Quote:
WHAT GIVES???? WHY IS THERE NO CRASH ON 40mg for me but there is on 20/10??????

I am very dumbfounded. I hope someone can explain this too me.
Believe it or not, too low of a dose is just as bad as too high of a dose. I do not experience any crash on any dose and some people experience a crash everyday. That part has no rhyme or reason.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ADHDsim (10-21-15), burger (10-22-15), hutch1 (10-21-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-15, 12:25 PM
Jr Member

hutch1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Your doc prescribed you 20mg a day and told you you could play with the dosage to 40mg a day???

if your doctor is ok with this dose, it sounds like you have found your sweet spot.

Believe it or not, too low of a dose is just as bad as too high of a dose. I do not experience any crash on any dose and some people experience a crash everyday. That part has no rhyme or reason.
Thank you for the reply! Yes my doc has been with me since I was born we have a very good relationship I have told him everything Ive ever done, no secrets from me.

Could you find a source or something from that final statement? That is very curious indeed. I felt like a zombie when I was taking lower doses.

It is worth noting that I did not sleep last night... I only took 20mg today because of this. I am going to take a break from my meds for a while, I need it. They are causing me way more stress and worry than they should (in the sense that I am frustrated about the dose). I am going to take a break for a week or two and start fresh, and try 30mg.
Old 10-22-15, 04:32 AM
ADDvanced Member

ADHDsim is on a distinguished road

A one off event doesn't mean much. You need to do a set dose for a while and then think about going up or down.