ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-05, 07:08 PM

Aunt Karen is on a distinguished road
Asked to fill out SNAP-IV ?

My Firend asked me to fill out a SNAP-IV form given to her from the school on her 13 yr. old son. The Teacher fills one out, the parents and a non-related friend who spends time with him. She suspects him of having dylexia but not ADHD or ADD. The form has 90 questions. Some having to do with oppositional defiant disorder. She is worried they may lable him with something he doesn't have. I have known this child for 7 years, he is the sweetist little boy who wouldn't hurt a fly. It seems to me the school may be giving him the wrong test? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you, Aunt Karen
Old 04-29-05, 11:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

scuro has disabled reputation
Usually a questionaire with 90 questions will be able to identify several different disorders or behaviour traits. It will have some questions that relate to oppostional behaviour because these questions are needed to identify behaivour type students. There most likely will also be questions related to Depression or Anxiety for the same purpose. It is an all in one questionaire that can identify several different difficulties at the same time. Remember that some children have more then one disorder.

Fill out the form, by not doing so you are confirming her fears. She can be afraid of labels but I'd be more afraid of life outcomes for a child who has no understanding (or help) of a possible life impairing disorder.
Old 04-29-05, 11:33 PM

Ian has disabled reputation
Well said scuro.

Welcome to the forums Aunt Karen. Hope you enjoy your time here. If you have any questions, please contact any staff member.
Cheers!
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-05, 03:35 PM

Aunt Karen is on a distinguished road
Thank you both for the replies. I'm going to fill it out and honestly because the child does have challenges that need attention. Also I'm going to direct my friend to your wonderful site. What a wealth of information you all have collected!

Aunt Karen
Old 04-30-05, 04:48 PM

Ian has disabled reputation
Karen, thanks for feeding back to us.
Cheers! and safe journey.
Ian
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 04-30-05, 06:44 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

adhdxyz has disabled reputation
If your friends son is "labeled" after they gather all the information from the forms, this label is not a permanent tatoo on his forehead by any means. It is merely a starting point so that proper treatment can be started.

My son (now 12) started out at age 3-4 with a diagnosis of adhd. (If there would have been a diagnosis of "adhd/off the chart a million times over", that would be my son.)

Later they added ocd. Then mood disorder. Then learning disabled in math and read. Plus audio processing difficulties.

The "labels" may change as time goes on. As he grows older, "labels" come and go. My son is getting much better at reading and math. They want to decrease his resources possibly next year. We'll play it by ear.

I wouldn't worry about labels. The important thing is that a diagnosis is needed. The diagnosis then starts the BIG ball rolling. Next comes the IEPs, possibly medication, possibly therapy, and alot of other things that will help him succeed in life.

Start filling out the form and don't leave anything out. Add additional information on extra paper if needed. Don't feel like you may hurt your friends feelings. They already know how their child really is. Nothing you say will surprise them. Also, you should probley mention issues that you have noticed with your friend or the child's father. This may help with a diagnosis also. (such as are they talkative, argumentative, spacey, etc...)

Good luck and start writing.

"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

- Einstein