ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Non-ADD Partner Support
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Non-ADD Partner Support This is a support forum for non-ADD partners, spouses, and significant others offering feedback from both the ADD and non-ADD perspectives

Old 11-10-15, 04:23 PM

iamlammypi is on a distinguished road
ADHD and Issues with Boundary Violations?

I have been with my ADHD significant other for just over 6 years. Of those 6 years, we just hit the 2-year mark for marriage in September. Unfortunately, I don't think we will make it to 3 years; however, I do want to understand if his issue is an ADHD thing, or just an unique-to-him thing. He has problems with violating my personal boundaries, particularly where sex is concerned. This is something that began around early 2011 and lasted up until a military deployment in early 2014, and then resumed again in late 2014 where it culminated in a major boundary violation in August 2015 in which he forced himself on me.

As a result of all that, I put myself into individual counseling because I realized I couldn't handle what happened alone, and he just started therapy 3 weeks ago because he couldn't handle me telling him I didn't love him anymore after that and that I now find him repulsive.

So, is this inability to respect personal boundaries of a non-ADHD spouse typical of ADHD men? Or, can this be something more on him and not the ADHD?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iamlammypi For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-10-15), Stevuke79 (11-18-15)
Old 11-10-15, 04:56 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,792 Times in 8,903 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation
Re: ADHD and Issues with Boundary Violations?

That's on him, not adhd.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-10-15), Corina86 (11-10-15), Fuzzy12 (11-10-15), Lizzie80 (12-13-15), namazu (11-10-15), Socaljaxs (11-10-15), Stevuke79 (11-18-15)
Old 11-10-15, 05:07 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,757 Times in 10,442 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Impulsivity and miscommunication are common among people with ADHD.

Forcing sex on another person is not.

I think you are right to want out of this marriage, and to take whatever steps you need to ensure your safety and well-being.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-10-15), Corina86 (11-10-15), Fuzzy12 (11-10-15), Lizzie80 (12-13-15), Lunacie (11-18-15), Stevuke79 (11-18-15), Unmanagable (11-10-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-15, 05:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,353 Times in 13,987 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry this happened. I don't think this has anything to do with ADHD and even if it has (or if it has anything to do with anything else) I don't think this is a marriage that you should stay in.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-10-15), Corina86 (11-10-15), Little Missy (11-10-15), namazu (11-10-15), Stevuke79 (11-18-15), ToneTone (11-15-15), Unmanagable (11-10-15)
Old 11-10-15, 06:17 PM
Pawfect Moderator

Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,159 Posts
Socaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud of

Forcing yourself on a another person regardless, of your relationship status has nothing to do with ADHD. it is a HIM-THING and not an ADHD issue. if he is blaming his ADHD as his reason for forcing you to do something you didn't consent too, he is just making excuses for his IMO poor judgement and horrible behavior.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Socaljaxs For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-10-15), Corina86 (11-13-15), Stevuke79 (11-18-15), ToneTone (12-08-15), Unmanagable (11-10-15)
Old 11-10-15, 06:28 PM

Thanked 14,557 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmanagable View Post
That's on him, not adhd.
Iím a man with ADHD, and to this, I say, exactly!

Disturbed,
Ian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Socaljaxs (11-10-15), Stevuke79 (11-18-15), Unmanagable (11-10-15)
Old 11-10-15, 06:40 PM
Pawfect Moderator

Socaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlammypi View Post
This is something that began around early 2011 and lasted up until a military deployment in early 2014, and then resumed again in late 2014 where it culminated in a major boundary violation in August 2015 in which he forced himself on me.

As a result of all that, I put myself into individual counseling because I realized I couldn't handle what happened alone, and he just started therapy 3 weeks ago because he couldn't handle me telling him I didn't love him anymore after that and that I now find him repulsive.
Wait up! that's why he sought counseling?Not,for the fact he thinks or feels like he did something wrong and hurt and violated too you? IMO Your repulsion is and saying you don't love him is rightfully validated. And he's should be thanking the ground you walk on you aren't sending him to jail... I mean does he really not understand? Does he not think he behaved In such a manner or that he violated you or He doesn't feel like his past behavior may be an indicator he needs help? Does he even think he behaved in an inappropriate not to mention illegal way? He is only seeking therapy because you Are repulsed by him? If that is the case and correct he has a whole other thing besides ADHD going on with him.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Socaljaxs For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (11-11-15), Corina86 (11-13-15), Fuzzy12 (11-10-15), iamlammypi (11-11-15), Stevuke79 (11-18-15), ToneTone (11-15-15), Unmanagable (11-10-15)
Old 11-11-15, 01:43 AM

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,180 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

One thing I might add is I think the impulsivity thing is part of the problem. However ADD can give you deep seated emotional issues. Sexual problems.

However he shouldn't jump on you. What might be interesting is what's behind it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
iamlammypi (11-11-15), Stevuke79 (11-18-15)
Old 11-11-15, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaljaxs View Post
Wait up! that's why he sought counseling?Not,for the fact he thinks or feels like he did something wrong and hurt and violated too you? IMO Your repulsion is and saying you don't love him is rightfully validated. And he's should be thanking the ground you walk on you aren't sending him to jail... I mean does he really not understand? Does he not think he behaved In such a manner or that he violated you or He doesn't feel like his past behavior may be an indicator he needs help? Does he even think he behaved in an inappropriate not to mention illegal way? He is only seeking therapy because you Are repulsed by him? If that is the case and correct he has a whole other thing besides ADHD going on with him.
Actually, he doesn't understand. He admits doing the behaviors that got us here, but for several weeks before entering therapy he blamed me for having a low sex drive that made him afraid he would rarely, if ever, get laid, and that ultimately led to his behaviors. Even the physical violation he said wouldn't have been a big deal if nothing had preceded it. The final nail in the coffin, though: Having attended one of his therapy sessions, in which he actually argued with his therapist over the fairness of this situation for him after the therapist explained how his actions were wrong. So, it's pretty obvious he doesn't get it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamlammypi For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-11-15), Stevuke79 (11-18-15), ToneTone (11-15-15)
Old 11-11-15, 02:12 AM

One of the reasons I have tried being tolerant is that his earlier actions I saw as being tied to impulsiveness. If so, it doesn't make any of it better, it just points to his need for help.

As I mentioned in my reply to Socaljaxs, the physical violation was in response to my libido, which is lower than his. He was afraid that I would cut him off from sex, and he just decided to take it when he had the chance. (Interestingly, he jumped on me after we had had sex that night. So, potentially another problem with impulse control.)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamlammypi For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-11-15), namazu (11-11-15), Stevuke79 (11-18-15)
Old 11-11-15, 04:58 AM

Thanked 30,353 Times in 13,987 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlammypi View Post
One of the reasons I have tried being tolerant is that his earlier actions I saw as being tied to impulsiveness. If so, it doesn't make any of it better, it just points to his need for help.

As I mentioned in my reply to Socaljaxs, the physical violation was in response to my libido, which is lower than his. He was afraid that I would cut him off from sex, and he just decided to take it when he had the chance. (Interestingly, he jumped on me after we had had sex that night. So, potentially another problem with impulse control.)
I think, he definitely needs help. He's got some seriously warped ideas in his head. Even if you never could have sex again that doesn't give him the right or even just a reason to rape you. If he doesn't understand that then needs help. I've got no idea what kind of help or who could help but an attitude like that can cause a lot of harm and damage. He's dangerous. He's already hurt you.

Anyway, it's nice of you to try to understand and I agree that someone needs to look at this behaviour and find a solution but you definitely need to leave this marriage. If he doesn't understand that what he did was wrong he will do it again.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
iamlammypi (11-11-15), Lunacie (11-18-15), namazu (11-11-15), Socaljaxs (11-11-15), Stevuke79 (11-18-15), Unmanagable (11-11-15)
Old 11-11-15, 10:11 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,447 Times in 2,992 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

I am very sorry for what you went through.

I am not trying to defend him..... and while I mostly concur to the sentiments above... i feel it is important to not let these things blur and become black and white.

These incidences you discuss are very traumatic, there are things you can and should do to;

-stop
-process
-heal

When it comes to them.

The relationship as a whole is a contributor to the above... I am in no way justifying his actions. What I am trying to do is give you a clearer perspective with which to heal and move forward.

His personality / predispositions etc. feed into the relationship.

You can focus on your healing....... You can have input, boundaries, etc... upon yourself and the relationship....... But there is no way to "change him"..... He violated your boundaries..... He was wrong in his actions. Causation is no justification..... but it IS a window into how to address and repair.

Peace.
~ SB_UK ~
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to someothertime For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-11-15), Fuzzy12 (11-11-15), Socaljaxs (11-11-15), Unmanagable (11-11-15)
Old 11-11-15, 11:46 AM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,904 Times in 9,304 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

This is in no way related to ADHD, and honestly he doesn't sound like he respects you and he sounds dangerous. If this keeps happening it will destroy you from the inside out and potentially cause PTSD, as well as trust issues and other issues. (If it hasn't already)

I would probably leave him if I were in your shoes.

Hugs to you, please be safe.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-11-15), Corina86 (11-13-15), iamlammypi (11-11-15), Socaljaxs (11-11-15), Unmanagable (11-11-15)
Old 11-11-15, 12:12 PM
Pawfect Moderator

As I and others mentioned here,he needs help, but he needs to be open and willing to be helped.From the sounds of it, he isn't. He may never understand or feel he was wrong, of his actions or his violation to you, or even truly admit to his wrong doing..

Yes, he needs help, something is wrong with him, he can't see or understand his negative actions. THAT right there should frighten you, as of now, it's not safe for you!. You need to make you and your safety number 1 priority...

Until, he can actually take responsibility and be responsive and open to getting help, he's not going to get any better a I'm truly sorry you and what happened.. Your husband behavior is not your fault! and if your libido isn't as high as his, SO WHAT! that is still not a reason and doesn't give him the right to force himself on you..this is no way YOUR fault. Anything, he will try to say or spin to lay the fault on you, please step back and not believe it..

He may never realize what he did wrong, I don't know how he views you in his marriage, you need to do YoU right now, and stay safe
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Socaljaxs For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-11-15), Fuzzy12 (11-11-15), iamlammypi (11-11-15), Stevuke79 (11-18-15), Unmanagable (11-11-15)
Old 11-11-15, 06:33 PM

Thanked 8,493 Times in 2,827 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry this was done to you.

As a woman who has dated mostly ADHD men, and even married one, and who has ADHD myself, I can say that non consensual sex is definitely not symptomatic of ADHD.

Standing too close, not covering your mouth when you cough, blurting out things at inappropriate times ... absolutely. But even then, we usually have an understanding that we messed up when called on it, and feel remorse if we hurt someone.

I know that some men that become deeply immersed in military culture will come to buy into the old belief that "you can't rape a wife". It's possible that he has developed this unfortunate world view.
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedHairedWitch For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-11-15), Socaljaxs (11-11-15), Stevuke79 (11-18-15), Unmanagable (11-11-15)