ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 11-25-15, 12:17 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,253 Times in 8,220 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3 reasons never to share your ADD

I think the purpose in disclosing ADD is to give you time to find another job. If things are that bad, maybe the job is not for you.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 11-25-15, 10:58 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,216 Times in 994 Posts
KarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with all the risks, and it's a very serous matter to disclose ANY health condition to your employer. In the right circumstances it can be beneficial, but you can never be sure that an employer will be understanding or sympathetic.

My usual advice to folks with a mental health issue is to steer clear of the labels, and instead focus on communicating what's helpful. For example, you might say:

"I don't trust my memory, so I try to write everything down, but it's best if requests are sent by e-mail so I don't have to rely on my memory, and if someone could take minutes in our morning meeting, I'd find it immensely helpful."

Basically focus on what work style fits you best, and learning those of your colleagues as well. The key is to demonstrate a willingness to learn the needs of your colleagues and to communicate yours. There are a lot of "accomodations" that are easy, and don't require a doctor's note.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KarmanMonkey For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (11-25-15), anonymouslyadd (11-25-15), kkristin17 (10-09-17), Pilgrim (11-25-15), ToneTone (12-24-16)
Old 09-23-16, 11:41 AM

EuphoricEndings is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting this!

Looking back...I think I lost a job from telling my manager I had ADHD. I told her and she seemed cool with it. Next day after working two shifts (I worked second and third shift that day) I was exhausted and just wanted to go home. I get called into the office and lost my job. Didn't know how or why because I was taking my medication and was on point with everything. But I'm pretty sure telling her was why she fired me. People with ADHD are some of the coolest and most hardworking people out there and when things like this goes on, it makes me shake my head. It also makes me wonder how people can be so judgemental. What a mad world we live in.
"Focus on the powerful, euphoric, magical, synchronistic, beautiful parts of life, and the universe will keep giving them to you."
Rx: Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts) 60 mg daily, Klonopin (clonazepam) 2 mg daily, Lamictal (lamotrigine) 200 mg daily, Lyrica (pregabalin) 600 mg daily, Prozac (fluoxetine) 60 mg daily
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EuphoricEndings For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (09-23-16), Lisa_Mac (10-14-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-16, 04:06 PM
Moderator of all seasons

anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuphoricEndings View Post
Thanks for posting this!

Looking back...I think I lost a job from telling my manager I had ADHD. I told her and she seemed cool with it. Next day after working two shifts (I worked second and third shift that day) I was exhausted and just wanted to go home. I get called into the office and lost my job. Didn't know how or why because I was taking my medication and was on point with everything. But I'm pretty sure telling her was why she fired me. People with ADHD are some of the coolest and most hardworking people out there and when things like this goes on, it makes me shake my head. It also makes me wonder how people can be so judgemental. What a mad world we live in.
I know. However, from her perspective she might believe that she's got a troubled, unproductive worker on her hands, and she's got a boss with expectations that need to be met.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 09-23-16, 05:01 PM

EuphoricEndings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
got a troubled, unproductive worker.
Haha at first I thought you personally called me a troubled & unproductive.
I read what you wrote waaay too fast

But thank god that job was just a side job and not my career. I'm a hair stylist, just from experience some of my co-workers have ADD/ADHD and the owner knows that we have it and just laughs at us if the 3 of us forgot to take our meds or if we misplace our shears, brushes or combs or cause of our meds wearing off. They just care about how much clientele you have and how good you are at cutting/coloring hair. Thankfully there are careers and industries that won't judge anything mental health wise. Even if they already knew or if they found out

But I totally understand where you're coming from though and genuinely thank you again for posting that.

Sorry that this was a long post or annoying at all. I'm a newbie to this site and just started yesterday and i just like the fact we can all come together and share our experiences and help each other.
"Focus on the powerful, euphoric, magical, synchronistic, beautiful parts of life, and the universe will keep giving them to you."
Rx: Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts) 60 mg daily, Klonopin (clonazepam) 2 mg daily, Lamictal (lamotrigine) 200 mg daily, Lyrica (pregabalin) 600 mg daily, Prozac (fluoxetine) 60 mg daily
The Following User Says Thank You to EuphoricEndings For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (09-23-16)
Old 10-10-16, 12:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

mrzyphl is a jewel in the roughmrzyphl is a jewel in the roughmrzyphl is a jewel in the rough

I got terminated from my job of 16 years back in January. I'm surprised I
lasted the first 3 months. If I were them I would have fired me at least 5
different times. At the beginning of January they implemented a job
performance review for the first time and I didn't fare to well. I could see it
coming and seriously thought of telling them about my ADHD as a last resort.
I couldn't bring myself to do it and I'm glad I didn't. I got a new job that I'm
much happier with now.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrzyphl For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-10-16), anonymouslyadd (10-11-16), C15H25N3O (10-10-16), Pilgrim (10-14-16)
Old 10-11-16, 11:22 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzyphl View Post
I got terminated from my job of 16 years back in January. I'm surprised I
lasted the first 3 months. If I were them I would have fired me at least 5
different times. At the beginning of January they implemented a job
performance review for the first time and I didn't fare to well. I could see it
coming and seriously thought of telling them about my ADHD as a last resort.
I couldn't bring myself to do it and I'm glad I didn't. I got a new job that I'm
much happier with now.
Thanks for sharing!

~Paulo Coelho
Old 10-13-16, 07:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,773 Times in 1,934 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Both me and my coworker disclosed.

Had my coworker not disclosed, she would undoubtedly have been laid off as the economy was bad. After disclosure, she got treatment and got the top performer award and has gotten a major promotion.

My results were more mixed but overall I'm still better off for disclosing. One person has discriminated against me. But I'm also getting roles and responsibilities I would not otherwise have had if not for disclosure.

Note, Both of us have always performed acceptably but had one major incident as a result of our adhd prior to disclosure and accommodations.

There is absolutely no blanket answer for whether to disclose or not. It varies with each case. Best thing to do if your job matters to you is to talk to a lawyer or your union if you have one. Lawyer is only about 400 dollars where I live. Sounds like a lot but it's less than 1 month unemployment not to mention the financial loss if your entire career will be hurt by it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-27-16), ToneTone (10-14-16)
Old 10-13-16, 11:25 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Both me and my coworker disclosed.

Had my coworker not disclosed, she would undoubtedly have been laid off as the economy was bad. After disclosure, she got treatment and got the top performer award and has gotten a major promotion.

My results were more mixed but overall I'm still better off for disclosing. One person has discriminated against me. But I'm also getting roles and responsibilities I would not otherwise have had if not for disclosure.

Note, Both of us have always performed acceptably but had one major incident as a result of our adhd prior to disclosure and accommodations.

There is absolutely no blanket answer for whether to disclose or not. It varies with each case. Best thing to do if your job matters to you is to talk to a lawyer or your union if you have one. Lawyer is only about 400 dollars where I live. Sounds like a lot but it's less than 1 month unemployment not to mention the financial loss if your entire career will be hurt by it.
Why would an ADD coach say not to disclose at work?

I'm glad that you've found some good in disclosing. I never said there wasn't. The key is to look at the big picture, and I believe your examples are outliers, rare moments with positive outcomes.

We disagree here. The only times you want to disclose is if you're job is put on the line. I believe in those times that that's just to buy you time before you find another job.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 10-13-16, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
Why would an ADD coach say not to disclose at work?
Your add coach must be doing a great job in what he was hired to do for you to trust him so much.

That said, he is not a lawyer and actually shouldn't be advising you at all in terms of any legal matters. He is certainly not knowledgeable enough to give you advice on the subject.

I don't disagree that most likely, the majority of people are not better off disclosing. But the percentage that are isn't so small that you shouldn't get a lawyer's advice. Especially if you've been in your career for a long time.

$400. It's nothing compared to a long career. And the lawyer is qualified to give you advice unlike your adhd coach.
Old 10-13-16, 11:56 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Your add coach must be doing a great job in what he was hired to do for you to trust him so much.

That said, he is not a lawyer and actually shouldn't be advising you at all in terms of any legal matters. He is certainly not knowledgeable enough to give you advice on the subject.

I don't disagree that most likely, the majority of people are not better off disclosing. But the percentage that are isn't so small that you shouldn't get a lawyer's advice. Especially if you've been in your career for a long time.

$400. It's nothing compared to a long career. And the lawyer is qualified to give you advice unlike your adhd coach.
She was a career/ADD coach. She helped link people with their career. She helped me discover my interests.

I never said not to get a lawyer!!! The point is that there will be consequences in disclosing and they will most likely be negative.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 10-13-16, 11:58 PM

I just realized I've posted the same thing here before. Sorry for the duplicate posting. Looks like an old post that was resurrected I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-14-16)
Old 12-23-16, 06:43 PM
Jr Member

Roxx1980 has disabled reputation

thanks so much for sharing your post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundmouth View Post
I totally agree. People believe that laws against discrimination will help, but one can always argue that some qualities are required here and you don't seem qualified - whether you call it ADHD or not. I'm not yet open with my diagnose, officially I'm just Coocoo NOS. The problem is, I already experience those issues. It's like they try to hide me in a corner where I can neither do good or bad.

Nevertheless: I do intend to come out in the future, as soon as I've figured out how to reveil it. It takes too much energy hiding it and I really don't feel I have much to lose. I still hope it can make it easier for some people to understand that I'm not bipolar or borderline-psychothic, that I don't have any personality disorder and that I'm not a wild animal. I'm not saying that the conditions mentioned above would necessarily disqualify me, but it's a problem that people are reading in the wrong things in my behaviors.
Old 12-23-16, 07:21 PM

Thanked 6,447 Times in 3,077 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's something you can not share with people. People who know what it is and how it effects people will know about it, whether you tell them about it or not.
Old 12-23-16, 09:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

jkimbo will become famous soon enough

4. none of their damn business!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jkimbo For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-27-16), kkristin17 (10-09-17)