ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-15, 09:10 AM
Jr Member

LilBlueEeyore is on a distinguished road
Anyone here with ADHD and bipolar?

I have so many questions for you guys lol. So I got my ADHD diagnosis a month and a half ago and got a diagnosis of bipolar II last week. Prior to diagnosis neither of them (and certainly not both together) were really even on my radar.. ADHD was moreso than bipolar, I went in the first time specifically for ADHD evaluation, but more in terms of ruling it out. Both diagnoses make a lot of sense in hindsight, but I'm having a hard time reframing my perception of myself in light of this new information.

Anyway, can anyone tell me their experiences with having/ coping with/ otherwise managing both disorders? I'm guessing it's the ADHD giving me hourly mood swings and the bipolar (rapid cycling) is responsible for the longer trends. Right now I'm taking 70mg Vyvanse for ADHD, started on Lamictal for the bipolar, taking 5mg of Lexapro to patch me through until the Lamictal starts working, and 60mg of Buspar for anxiety.
Old 11-27-15, 05:01 AM

coffeesudoku has a spectacular aura aboutcoffeesudoku has a spectacular aura about
Re: Anyone here with ADHD and bipolar?

I haven't been labeled ADHD and bipolar but I definitely have ADHD with mood instability.

It's really an interesting question diagnostically and nosologically because it seems like ADHD itself can impair executive function which leads to mood swings and bipolar-esque symptoms.

On the other hand, you could just be bipolar, and the ADHD could be an epiphenomenon. Many with bipolar will have issues with concentration and focus and will benefit from psychostimulants (during the depressive phase of the manic-depressive illness).

I think the lamictal plus Vyvanse is a good combination, just because lamictal is a pretty clean drug and would likely iron out the edginess and moodiness associated with a daily amphetamine crash.
LilBlueEeyore (11-28-15)
Old 11-27-15, 03:13 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,212 Times in 14,319 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I have BPII and adhd. The adhd diagnosis was when I was 6 and the bipolar at age 16. I treat both with meds.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-16, 10:35 PM

Gretel06 is on a distinguished road

I was diagnosed with bipolar at age 27. I'm now 55 and recently got the ADHD diagnosis. I have struggled most of my life with anxiety, depression and the inability to grasp the jist of movies, books, music lyrics, conversations etc. I take Lamictal 200mg, Vyvanse 20mg, Ativan as needed, and Deplin(rx -folate). I am ovewhelmed most of the time. I have suffered greatly and spent most of my adult life taking Lithium which did great harm to my body. It also numbed me out and I slept 10-12 hours a night and rarely stayed awake past 9p.m. I have much more focus and clarity. I sleep 7-8 hrs a night. I'm not doing impulsive behaviors anymore. However, I'm a mess and I am constantly being triggered about all the things that I have missed out in my life. Anyhow, I'm looking for ways to cope.
Old 03-01-16, 08:27 AM
Jr Member

blueorangetree is on a distinguished road

As I know it is not the best thing to diagnose someone with ADHD before treating the bipolar.
Old 03-01-16, 12:14 PM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretel06 View Post
I was diagnosed with bipolar at age 27. I'm now 55 and recently got the ADHD diagnosis. I have struggled most of my life with anxiety, depression and the inability to grasp the jist of movies, books, music lyrics, conversations etc. I take Lamictal 200mg, Vyvanse 20mg, Ativan as needed, and Deplin(rx -folate). I am ovewhelmed most of the time. I have suffered greatly and spent most of my adult life taking Lithium which did great harm to my body. It also numbed me out and I slept 10-12 hours a night and rarely stayed awake past 9p.m. I have much more focus and clarity. I sleep 7-8 hrs a night. I'm not doing impulsive behaviors anymore. However, I'm a mess and I am constantly being triggered about all the things that I have missed out in my life. Anyhow, I'm looking for ways to cope.
Are you taking any antidepressants (SSRI, SNRI, tricylclics?) in my experience, lamictal or other lamictal-like mood stabilizers do not work without an antidepressant.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-04-16, 10:47 PM

Gretel06 is on a distinguished road

To sarahsweets:
I don't take an antidepressant at this time. I am going to new Dr in 2 weeks which is good because I'm feeling worse every day. The Vyvanse helps me thing clearer but I'm feeling worse. Seem like everything is overwhelming right now. My life is falling apart. My marriage has been bad for 20 years, my job is making me a nervous wreck. I need help. I'm at the point of giving up. So many problems for so long.
Old 03-05-16, 04:32 PM

ByePolarCoordin is on a distinguished road

I am bipolar I and have ADHD. I was not diagnosed with ADHD until my bipolar disorder was stabilized. I think it needed to happen this way because the mood instability would have made an ADHD diagnosis too difficult to come to. When I was not functioning well and fell back to old patterns of procrastination despite the newfound stability, that is when we started treating the ADHD. I'm doing well so far on a cocktail of Adderall XR 30 mg, Adderall IR 10-30 mg, Saphris 10 mg, Emsam 9 mg, Zonegran 100 mg, and Klonopin 0.5-1.0 mg PRN. It took a while to get here.
Old 03-11-16, 05:20 AM

Greys0n is on a distinguished road

I am not entirely sure if I am able to process what goes on in my environment via my perception of reality. I have taken an interest in drinking wine, both in appreciation of taste and binge. I have reconnected with my habit of biting my fingers until it bleeds. And further biting for the benefit of the interesting feeling of pain, tingling my senses. I am not thinking self harm, but I am aware of my increasing levels of sensitivity and my increasing levels of stress towards people who speak.
And then I decided that with me something wrong and I go to the hospital. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Now I take adasuve, my doctor advised me to read about these pills here http://rxed.eu/en/a/Adasuve/ 'cause I was thinking that he wanted to poison me. Now I feel better. My family support me.
Old 07-18-16, 02:00 PM

thisnotme is on a distinguished road

yeah but i deny the bipolar part, because i had a psychosis but it was drug/stress related. the meds for bipolar make me feel worse except lamictal but it causes too much insomnia/memoryloss so i get lamictal and dexedrine from my doc and only take dexedrine with no problems(use a sedative every once in a while).
Old 07-18-16, 02:08 PM

thisnotme is on a distinguished road

i deny my bipolar diagnosis because i had a drug/stress psychosis, and dont see any other symptoms for bipolar. i managed to get my adhd meds back if i take lamictal which is the only bp drug i like but too much memory loss/insomnia so i just take dexedrine and now i manage my stress better with no problems.
Old 07-18-16, 03:34 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,823 Times in 821 Posts
Impromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond repute

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child. Had my first break with hypomania and psychosis in 2008/2009.. had my second episodic break in 2016 where i was diagnosed with BP2 as well as ADHD.
Old 07-21-16, 02:25 AM

Scotfree is on a distinguished road

I was diagnosed with BP 2 back in 2011 at the age of 39. I was diagnosed with ADHD a month ago. My BP has been stable(ish) for a while now with the help of medications. I was started on Concerta (18mg) three weeks ago, and It was increased to 36mg yesterday. I'm a bit worried that the Concerta might bring on some mania, but so far I've had no effects with that. Hopefully, It will stay that way.
Old 07-21-16, 04:35 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotfree View Post
I was diagnosed with BP 2 back in 2011 at the age of 39. I was diagnosed with ADHD a month ago. My BP has been stable(ish) for a while now with the help of medications. I was started on Concerta (18mg) three weeks ago, and It was increased to 36mg yesterday. I'm a bit worried that the Concerta might bring on some mania, but so far I've had no effects with that. Hopefully, It will stay that way.
I can feel your concern. All of the drugs from the methylphenidate category cause major mood issues with me and my BPII.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Scotfree (07-21-16)
Old 07-21-16, 05:46 AM

Scotfree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I can feel your concern. All of the drugs from the methylphenidate category cause major mood issues with me and my BPII.
If the Concerta does affect my bipolar, I will have to come off of It. Which would be upsetting in that I would not get a chance to see what my life would be like without the full effects of ADHD. I know that there are non stimulant medications for ADHD, but I have heard that they are not as effective. I'm not sure if that is the case or not.