ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-16, 01:55 PM
Jr Member

hyper-not is on a distinguished road
Using this site - the irony

Since signing up on this site a few months ago, I havenít utilized it as much as I have wanted. Part of it is that I simply get overwhelmed by any site that presents such a broad range of information like this. And even though it seems to be well organized, I generally, donít have the attention span to go through all the options here. This irony is not lost on me. But because Iím impatient, what I usually do in many web forums like this is to use the search function. And this can often turn out to be worse for me because, even if I find the right keyword that locates info on the subject Iím looking for, the nature of search results can be even more confusing. Every result leads in a new direction, and the context isnít alway apparent, and I always feel like Iím missing a lead. It makes me crazy.
So, I guess that Iím asking for any similar experiences and recommendations. I know that I should just spend more time here to get the general layout. Thanks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hyper-not For This Useful Post:
burger (01-31-16), midnightstar (01-31-16), namazu (01-31-16)
Old 01-31-16, 01:59 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,452 Times in 11,974 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Using this site - the irony

My advice is to focus on small areas on the site first (depending on what you'd like to read up on) and as you get used to each bit, branch out to another bit of the forum
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
hyper-not (01-31-16), namazu (01-31-16), pelargonium (02-06-16)
Old 01-31-16, 09:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

Pixelatedmind is a glorious beacon of lightPixelatedmind is a glorious beacon of lightPixelatedmind is a glorious beacon of lightPixelatedmind is a glorious beacon of lightPixelatedmind is a glorious beacon of light

This is exactly why I got interested in interface design years ago I struggle with this in most websites and Interfaces. The struggle is real for some people.

As for this forums, like suggested above, scan the home page and start with the section most relevant to your inquiry.

When I first got here I only read and posted in the 'Adult Diagnosis & Treatment', because I was in the process of diagnosis.

When I started on medication I went on checking the 'Medications' section... and so on.. the forums will grow on you

Although I thought I scanned the forums many times, I always found sections that I never saw before like Chit Chat and Addictions...

When you become a regular the 'New Posts' query button at the top panel becomes handy too..

Hope you find what you're looking for
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-16, 08:25 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelatedmind View Post
This is exactly why I got interested in interface design years ago I struggle with this in most websites and Interfaces. The struggle is real for some people.
Thanks for that Pixelated, I too dabbled in interface design for a time. I'm just curious, How would you alter this interface to be more ADHD friendly? Don't want to put you on the spot. I haven't seen enough to formulate an opinion myself, although I generally like interfaces that aren't too graphically intensive or present too much information on one page. It's like the toothpaste aisle to me. But I don't think the organization of this site is bad. It may be more that what I'm looking for is still very indeterminate.
Old 02-01-16, 11:20 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,958 Times in 11,085 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I use the "new posts" button unless I'm looking for a certain kind of information.

I do that after I check any new posts on threads I've posted in.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
hyper-not (10-08-16), pelargonium (02-06-16)
Old 02-01-16, 07:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

Pixelatedmind is a glorious beacon of lightPixelatedmind is a glorious beacon of lightPixelatedmind is a glorious beacon of lightPixelatedmind is a glorious beacon of lightPixelatedmind is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-not View Post
Thanks for that Pixelated, I too dabbled in interface design for a time. I'm just curious, How would you alter this interface to be more ADHD friendly? Don't want to put you on the spot. I haven't seen enough to formulate an opinion myself, although I generally like interfaces that aren't too graphically intensive or present too much information on one page. It's like the toothpaste aisle to me. But I don't think the organization of this site is bad. It may be more that what I'm looking for is still very indeterminate.
I can't think of anything really, unless you're gonna revamp from scratch and apply an intuitive experience design with ADHD in mind and some user testing and analytics.

This website uses one of the oldest and popular forum systems (vBulletin) with little to no customizations so if you are in my age group or older, the interface, although outdated, is very familiar. It's as simple as it gets.

The creators also did a neat job of organizing the forums and sub forums and listed in a logical order. Also the moderators are going the extra mile making sure all posts are kept in the relevant sections and are adhering to the guidelines, which makes posting and browsing in sections much more efficient.

But I agree that this system being old as it is, forms in particular like registration and search, user panel and some other pages are complicated and not intuitive to use.

I think the few things that could help the home page look simpler:
  1. Shorter titles
  2. Hiding the forums description text (they could appear on hover as tooltips)
  3. Same for post counts and extra information
  4. Removing or combining unnecessary forums (if any)
  5. Removing or using simpler iconography
  6. Using simpler color tones and precise gutters

Last edited by Pixelatedmind; 02-01-16 at 07:49 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pixelatedmind For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-01-16)
Old 02-01-16, 09:18 PM
Jr Member

Interesting. Those suggestions makes sense. My experience isn't in your league at all, more seat-of-the-pants. But I keep imagining that there is some magical intuitive way to display info that leads to to areas of interest. But I guess some of the greatest minds are working on that problem.

Ultimately though, I wonder if the issue is really solvable for those of us who can't hold more that two or three things in our mind at one time. Either you can have a screen that is cluttered with all options and is overwhelming, or you can have one that has a few simple options. But then you have to go deep through multiple screens and remember the path you take.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hyper-not For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (02-01-16), Pixelatedmind (02-01-16)
Old 02-01-16, 11:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

Yes it's definitely not as easy as it sounds. Hurts both ways.

Maybe the magical balance can be reached somehow, display only the essentials and make the clicks to the rest a minimum. There's always someone that will prefer the cluttered screen to the long path and another that would prefer the opposite.

The point is to remove anything unnecessary, least clicks, least guessing, least instructions, least decoration...rtc and simplify the experience as much as possible, and maybe for adhd animations and interactions might help make the interface more stimulating..

If you take Google for example, a very simple search input coupled with a great search algorithm to get you the relevant top ranked results. I never check the results on page 2 although I know people who find real gems deep down in pagination..

No matter how intuitive the interface is, too much data will remain too much data for users like us. You can only make it less painful
Old 02-06-16, 08:32 PM
Contributor

Goofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to all

I think this sight is just fine. How much shorter can you make the subject when its medications then adderal or ritlan You cant get much shorter. for someone like who isn't computer savvy this sight works just fine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goofycook For This Useful Post:
hyper-not (09-17-16), Pixelatedmind (02-07-16), stef (02-07-16)