ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-16, 06:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,682 Times in 13,697 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Treatment resistant depression

It's just so bloody unfair. Maybe all diseases and illnesses are unfair. I guess they are. Nature isn't fair. Life isn't fair. Some people just draw a short straw and they are screwed. Life over..or not worth living. What makes it even more unfair in the case of depression is that so many people barely accept that it's an illness...let alone a serious one that can kill..or make people wish they were dead.

I mean what are you supposed to do when you know that tomorrow won't be better, when tomorrow is just going to be more of 'now' and 'now' just isn't something you'd want to perpetuate. When you have tried everything and nothing has helped. When you don't want to try anymore. When you are just too tired?

We are not all born equal. Of course we aren't and I always thought it's OK...unfair, of course, but inevitable. Some people never get a chance..either because of the environment they've been born in or because of the body they've been born with. But what if you are the one who drew the short straw? Then it's not just unfair anymore. It's game over.

Depression is cruel. It robs you of the ability to do any of the things that might help you to get out of the hell hole. And at some point it makes you not even want to get better. If you lose interest in everything then losing interest in living and being alive is inevitable too. Of all the bloody things to not procrastinate...to not be too tired for.

What a bloody waste of a life. And that voice. Anyway what do I know. RIP.

(Just ranting. This isn't about me. I'm ok.)

Last edited by Fuzzy12; 02-01-16 at 06:36 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-01-16), doribc (03-20-16), Little Missy (02-01-16), Snake-Eater (02-29-16), spamspambacon (09-25-16)
Old 02-01-16, 08:47 PM

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Treatment resistant depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I mean what are you supposed to do when you know that tomorrow won't be better, when tomorrow is just going to be more of 'now' and 'now' just isn't something you'd want to perpetuate. When you have tried everything and nothing has helped. When you don't want to try anymore. When you are just too tired?
I donít know. I wish I knew, but I donít.

I still try to do whatever, because otherwise all there is left is snuffing it.

I will say this: I stopped thinking about things in terms of fairness years ago, because I knew that if I didnít, it would have driven me mad.

Namaste,
Ian
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (10-26-16), DJgirl (06-17-16), Fuzzy12 (02-01-16), ginniebean (02-19-16), Little Missy (02-02-16), Pilgrim (02-02-16)
Old 02-01-16, 09:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

burger is a jewel in the roughburger is a jewel in the roughburger is a jewel in the rough

There's still new stuff coming out to treat resistant depression and different ways to treat it. It's definitely not a hopeless situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to burger For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-01-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-16, 11:57 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger View Post
There's still new stuff coming out to treat resistant depression and different ways to treat it. It's definitely not a hopeless situation.
Yes, I guess, that's true.
Old 02-02-16, 12:10 AM

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

For Treatment-Resistant Major Depressive Disorder...ask your doctor about, and damned well insist on...Dexedrine™.

Accept no substitutes!

---

OK, I had to introduce a little levity, well, because that’s just how I am, but I was also thinking about the fact that Dex is the single-most effective antidepressant I have ever known.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (10-26-16), Fuzzy12 (02-02-16), Little Missy (02-02-16)
Old 02-02-16, 01:48 AM

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,180 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Hey aeon, I could have wrote both your posts. And Depression does suck,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-02-16), Fuzzy12 (02-02-16)
Old 02-02-16, 07:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

Toss4n is a jewel in the roughToss4n is a jewel in the roughToss4n is a jewel in the rough

Is it just me or is treatment-resistant depression kind of always found in people with similar symptoms to ADHD-PI? It would seem to me at least that some of these, if not all, are just undiagnosed adhd-sufferers.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toss4n For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (09-25-16), adhdseeker (10-26-16), Fuzzy12 (02-02-16), HypoGirl (07-25-16)
Old 02-02-16, 08:07 AM

Joseph Shield is on a distinguished road

Goal setting and positive affirmations are good tools which you can use to mange and overcome depression.

Does anybody know how to get your email verified? I never recevied an email
The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Shield For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-10-16)
Old 02-09-16, 08:02 PM

Maheshwara is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
It's just so bloody unfair. Maybe all diseases and illnesses are unfair. I guess they are. Nature isn't fair. Life isn't fair. Some people just draw a short straw and they are screwed. Life over..or not worth living. What makes it even more unfair in the case of depression is that so many people barely accept that it's an illness...let alone a serious one that can kill..or make people wish they were dead.

We are not all born equal. Of course we aren't and I always thought it's OK...unfair, of course, but inevitable. Some people never get a chance..either because of the environment they've been born in or because of the body they've been born with. But what if you are the one who drew the short straw? Then it's not just unfair anymore. It's game over.

Depression is cruel. It robs you of the ability to do any of the things that might help you to get out of the hell hole. And at some point it makes you not even want to get better. If you lose interest in everything then losing interest in living and being alive is inevitable too. Of all the bloody things to not procrastinate...to not be too tired for.

What a bloody waste of a life. And that voice. Anyway what do I know. RIP.

(Just ranting. This isn't about me. I'm ok.)
Yea i agree with everything you said, and i also know whom you are refering too.

Actually just now found out about it, got so triggered so i had to make an account here. Or well i've been planning to create one for a good while but never realy got it...

Quote:
Is it just me or is treatment-resistant depression kind of always found in people with similar symptoms to ADHD-PI? It would seem to me at least that some of these, if not all, are just undiagnosed adhd-sufferers.
Not sure what PI stands for, but i'm a combined.
Most of my own personal depression stems from personal failures and lack of getting others to understand my situation. So it becomes an endless loop.
Some days are better than others though, and i use no medicine because they aren't working infact they just makes things worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maheshwara For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-10-16)
Old 02-10-16, 12:54 AM

Meds can help. Not everyone but they do help a lot of people. Nothing worked for my depression except stimulants really. I was quite surprised when i realised that treating my adhd had the pleasant side effect of getting rid of depression. But then maybe a lot of my depression was caused by adhd. Unfortunately they aren't an option for everyone. I just got lucky.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-14-16)
Old 02-10-16, 07:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

Toss4n is a jewel in the roughToss4n is a jewel in the roughToss4n is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maheshwara View Post
Not sure what PI stands for, but i'm a combined.
Most of my own personal depression stems from personal failures and lack of getting others to understand my situation. So it becomes an endless loop.
Some days are better than others though, and i use no medicine because they aren't working infact they just makes things worse.
Primarily inattentive, so adhd without the hyperactivity. I think that many people with it tend to have it more difficult in life, which in turn turns into depression at some point when you've struggled long enough and you don't know/understand why (maybe I'm projecting here, but that's at least how it was for me) and other people don't seem to "get it". It's just really frustrating sometimes. I tried going off my meds, but it just made everything worse, so I'm right now on a combo of escitalopram (helps with mood) + bupropion (helps with energy and a tiny bit with focus).
The Following User Says Thank You to Toss4n For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-10-16)
Old 02-12-16, 01:14 PM

Maheshwara is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss4n View Post
Primarily inattentive, so adhd without the hyperactivity. I think that many people with it tend to have it more difficult in life, which in turn turns into depression at some point when you've struggled long enough and you don't know/understand why (maybe I'm projecting here, but that's at least how it was for me) and other people don't seem to "get it". It's just really frustrating sometimes. I tried going off my meds, but it just made everything worse, so I'm right now on a combo of escitalopram (helps with mood) + bupropion (helps with energy and a tiny bit with focus).
Yea i see, sounds just like me then. Story of my life basicly.
But as mentioned above i'm combined as i've hyper issue aswell.

Sorry for the late reply, i forgot my password to login, and i didn't recieve a new one on my mail so i had to keep trying to find my password.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maheshwara For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-19-16), Toss4n (02-17-16)
Old 02-19-16, 12:25 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,216 Times in 994 Posts
KarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

A few things to consider:

1) Treatment resistant just means that medications aren't the solution. At best, meds are maybe 10% of what leads us to recovery. I have seen many people with treatment resistant depression recover and have awesome lives... In their cases it's about the supports, the attitudes of the people around them, and changes that they make to their own ways of thinking.

2) There's a lot of new evidence out there that treatment resistant depression is often, in fact, poorly managed ADD. Focus on managing the ADD and the depression will ebb.

Don't let the evil phrase "treatment resistant" prevent you from seeking recovery. Do your best to foster hope in yourself, and to connect to the values you hold dear. And keep talking to us too :-)

Edit: I realized I wrote in the third person mostly... I struggled with suicidal thoughts and depression since I was about 8yo. I am sensitive to medications, and therefore cannot tolerate a therapeutic dose of most meds. Now I love life (though my 1yo is really sucking the energy out of me) and I haven't thought about suicide except to help other people through it, or to reflect on my past self... No suicidal thoughts in years! And that's with minimal medical intervention.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KarmanMonkey For This Useful Post:
daveddd (02-19-16), Fuzzy12 (02-19-16)
Old 02-19-16, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmanMonkey View Post
A few things to consider:

1) Treatment resistant just means that medications aren't the solution. At best, meds are maybe 10% of what leads us to recovery. I have seen many people with treatment resistant depression recover and have awesome lives... In their cases it's about the supports, the attitudes of the people around them, and changes that they make to their own ways of thinking.

2) There's a lot of new evidence out there that treatment resistant depression is often, in fact, poorly managed ADD. Focus on managing the ADD and the depression will ebb.

Don't let the evil phrase "treatment resistant" prevent you from seeking recovery. Do your best to foster hope in yourself, and to connect to the values you hold dear. And keep talking to us too :-)

Edit: I realized I wrote in the third person mostly... I struggled with suicidal thoughts and depression since I was about 8yo. I am sensitive to medications, and therefore cannot tolerate a therapeutic dose of most meds. Now I love life (though my 1yo is really sucking the energy out of me) and I haven't thought about suicide except to help other people through it, or to reflect on my past self... No suicidal thoughts in years! And that's with minimal medical intervention.
Sometimes, all that is not enough to restore someone's quality of life to a standard that makes it tolerable for them.

At other times, none of those things matter or even seem desirable when you are in the grip of depression. Maybe hope is the final casualty of depression.

I just hate to think that anyone could be so depressed that they take their own life. Maybe because I struggle to relate to that. I've always had a problem with suicidal ideation, I've often not wanted to continue living the way I am but I've never really wanted to be dead. To just be nothing. I've never been seriously suicidal. Maybe it's just because I'm too scared to die but I think, partly it's also because I don't want to miss out. More than anything, I guess, I've just been lucky enough to not have experienced that kind of depression or that loss of hope or interest. I guess, there are all kinds of reasons why people commit suicide and severe depression is just one of them but I just think that it's so unfair. I mean, how unlucky can anyone get to be struck down by an illness that makes it impossible to do or want to do any of the things that you could possibly do to fight this illness??

Last edited by Fuzzy12; 02-19-16 at 01:54 PM..
Old 02-19-16, 01:54 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all

It kinda sounds like you may have had a recent suicide attempt in your circle of friends. Is that the case? If so, my sincerest condolences to you. Having ben a survivor to three suicides in my life, I too well know the pain inflicted by a suicide of a loved one. It does eventually fade, but you have to be in a good place for it to do that.

It does seem unfair, but you hit on what the reasoning is behind it. A lack of hope is the final straw for many of us. We have to search out hope in whatever form makes sense to us, a higher power, knowledge of others who have gotten better, other people, etc. Giving up is not an option that ends well.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Bill For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-19-16)