ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 03-07-16, 10:01 PM
Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all
How much time between 10mg Doses?

I've been on Ritalin IR generic for a little over a week now. I was told by my doc to take one when I get up, and the other early in the afternoon, but not later than 3 or 4.
My Schedule: 7 Am Get up
7:30 drive to where I exercise
9:00 - drive to work
10:00 work starts, goes to 6 or 7 PM
7:00 - drive to support group
8:30 Drive home from group.
9:00 do stuff at the house, eat, get on the net, read,
9:30 take trazadone
10:00 go to bed..

It seems to me the Ritalin wears off at about the 5 hour mark I get tired , sad or anxious, notice I'm not very productive, but I usually stretch it to 6 hours before the second dose. So that is 10-12 hours I am on the Ritalin and it doesn't cover all day. To me it is most important for driving and working.

Just to throw a monkey wrench in the mix, the pharmacy tech who gave me the meds said, ok, looks simple. twice a day, 12 hours apart.

Any thoughts on when I should take the 10 mg pills? I will be seeing the doc in another 3 weeks so I can ask him then. I'd also prefer to not have the down period halfway through my day if it is possible.

It is still amazing how much my driving has improved as well as my focus on driving. Work, not so much productivity but focus has improved a lot.
Old 03-08-16, 02:44 PM
Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all
Re: How much time between 10mg Doses?

Ok, that was a lot of words... So here's the Reader's Digest version:

How long should I expect a 10 Mg generic Ritalin to have the desired effects? When does it typically run out?
Old 03-08-16, 03:02 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,952 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the answer, but I know one bit of information. Regardless of the amount, any Ritalin dosage should run out at about the same time as all the others, assuming they're all instant-release of course. The fact that it's 10 mg determines how strong it is, not how long it lasts.

There is an exception, that if a dosage is far too low for the person then it will seem to only last a short time.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
DJ Bill (03-08-16), Pilgrim (07-10-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-16, 03:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 19,336 Times in 10,274 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking 4 hours because I took it for quite some time many years ago.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
DJ Bill (03-08-16), Pilgrim (07-10-16)
Old 07-09-16, 05:59 AM

Mercurial is a jewel in the roughMercurial is a jewel in the roughMercurial is a jewel in the rough

The typical half life of Ritalin is about 3 hours for a 10 mg dose,
JMO, but I find that taking 2 doses 4 hours apart (10 mg) works, bearing in mind that it is the sustained release. When i took the non-extended, peak delivery is rated at between 2-3 hours, depending on your metabolism etc.

This is not medical advise, just info off the product monograph and my own personal experience.

Best of luck
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Albert Einstein