ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips > Household Tips and Tricks
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-16, 08:50 AM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,821 Times in 660 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute
Organizing my home

Hello friends,

At this moment I am organizing my household and I want to share my progress and ask you for feedback. My goal is to create a place that is nice to be in and easy to organize. I notice that if my house is well organized that my mind is also more organized, making it easier to focus, and I also have less annoying problems such as bills that I forget (that get lost in the mess) and important things that get lost, such as keys.

I live in a student house with some other people. We have several common rooms, such as the kitchen en the bathroom. I have two rooms, each is 9 square meters. Right now one is the living/eating/working room (downstairs), the other the bedroom/storage room (upstairs). I also have some stuff in the common rooms.

My idea is to spend about an hour each day organizing. I first do the room downstairs, then then the kitchen, then the bathroom and finally the room upstairs. I will make sure that everything has a logical place and I will develop the habit of putting things back in their places after using them. I will also make a cleaning schedule, in which I will schedule recurring tasks on specific days of the week.

I think this project will take me about 10-20 hours, so with one hour per day that will be about 1.5-3 weeks. Today I will start doing the following tasks (in room downstairs), in the same order:

1. Do dishes
2. Gather clothes from the floor
3. Do laundry
4. Remove all other things from the floor and on the chair/couch, temporarily store them in boxes and put these boxes in the room upstairs, so that the room downstairs can be organized. I will sort them later.
5. When the floor is cleared, clean everything
6. Remove all stuff from my bookcase
7. Clean the bookcase
8. Put all the books back, but all other things in a box to sort later
9. Rearrange furniture
10. Decide where I will put everything
11. Move the first box from the room upstairs back to the room downstairs and put everything in it in it's place. Repeat this with the other boxes until completed.

Estimated time: 1-10 = 2-3 hours, 11 = 2-3 hours

I do it in this order, because I will have one completely organized room very soon, perhaps tomorrow or even today (when 1-9 are done).

That's it. Thanks for your interest if you have read all of this! Feel free to share your organizational tips and tricks!

Last edited by Jacksper; 03-09-16 at 09:07 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (03-09-16), Socaljaxs (03-10-16)
Old 03-10-16, 11:04 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,411 Times in 1,749 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: Organizing my home

Is this organizing thing keeping you from thinking about how to get a paid project? Cause personally, I'd focus on that over anything else right now. Keeping rooms clean is not all that important - you'll survive if your rooms are messy. I love your positivity Jacksper but I'd have to agree with the others when it comes to overloading yourself.

Also, I myself could never make your plan work (though of course I'm not you). Rooms don't stay clean - life messes them up. With a short one hour a day, the amount I would have cleaned would be messed up again almost immediately after I cleaned. Add to that, half the time would be wasted just trying to motivate myself to clean. The hardest part is getting myself to get started and with this plan, I would have guaranteed myself the suffering of starting every single day.

If you clean at all during this timeframe, I personally would make 1 room clean at a time. But before I even do that, I'd think about what kind of things I could do to keep it clean so I don't have to be cleaning all the time.

Clothes are one of them. Could you try getting a hamper and put it right by your door or somewhere really noticeable and make it a habit to throw the clothes in it immediately after showering? I guess it's easier for me since my hamper is right by my shower but maybe possible for you too?

The stuff you are putting in your box to sort later. Do you really need that stuff? If not, just keep it boxed.

Is it really necessary to rearrange furniture? My dad rearranges his all the time and in the grand scheme of things, it made barely a change. I'd personally save this till after you've managed to learn how to keep the place cleaner unless your furniture is really placed awkwardly.

When working. Don't work at home. Do it at work or at the library or something. Try doing this for your bills too. Actually, Id set all the bills you can to autopay. Theoretically, you should still check your bank accounts maybe monthly to make sure the payments were right though. Set off a half a day to do papework stuff like this. Set a reminder on your phone and then go to a library to do stuff like this if your room is keeping you doing stuff like this. If your messiness is keeping you from doing productive stuff, just don't do the productive stuff in your rooms. If you did them in the common room, would you clean up after yourself or not. I find I can clean up immediately with shared areas but not in my own areas.

Last edited by acdc01; 03-10-16 at 11:19 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (03-13-16)
Old 03-10-16, 12:08 PM
Pawfect Moderator

Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,158 Posts
Socaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksper View Post
My goal is to create a place that is nice to be in and easy to organize. I notice that if my house is well organized that my mind is also more organized, making it easier to focus, and I also have less annoying problems such as bills that I forget (that get lost in the mess) and important things that get lost, such as keys.
This is something that my mom had tried to ingrain in my head. Sadly, for me organizing/cleaning are two areas of my life that I severely struggle with.. For me, both are viewed as choirs. I hate doing anything that feels like a choir.. Those areas I have never been able to actively change my ways in terms of creating a new habit....I don't find myself consciously bothered by mess or clutter. I wish I was more uneasy and putoff by messiness, but for me the reality is I'm not.... I have to work against myself to stay organized and cleaning is something that I've accepted I'm not good at staying on top of. So, I for me have hired help. Which I know isn't something easily achievable or affordable for others.

As for bills. Maybe use your phone to set alarms or even look into setting up auto-payment for re-occurring bills. If the bills are due same day each month and auto payment isn't an option, try adding reminders with if online payment links to the payment site...or along with the phone calander alarm reminder. Try adding either a bulletin/cork/white boards in your personal space. Maybe go and purchase, or even make something that's large enough and can hang on the wall that you can clip the bills and notes too for easy reminders..

For keys or other items such a easily able to lose items, add hooks to a wall or a bowl that can be placed near a door that once you are done using ( like opening a door, throw them in there or on a hook. Have a chat with the other people living with you about incorporateding a key place holder. Also, putting an organized system in place that the entire group of you living together can utilize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksper View Post
I live in a student house with some other people. We have several common rooms, such as the kitchen en the bathroom. I have two rooms, each is 9 square meters. Right now one is the living/eating/working room (downstairs), the other the bedroom/storage room (upstairs). I also have some stuff in the common rooms.

My idea is to spend about an hour each day organizing. I first do the room downstairs, then then the kitchen, then the bathroom and finally the room upstairs. I will make sure that everything has a logical place and I will develop the habit of putting things back in their places after using them. I will also make a cleaning schedule, in which I will schedule recurring tasks on specific days of the week
for the common areas, make sure to speak to the others that also communally live and share that space first, before going ahead and changing things around. Or putting a system into place that they aren't aware of or inputting their feelings or needs into... Also, don't move or touch or stick others stuff into boxes. Only do that with your items....It's the shared rooms used by others also, and anything of change or even choirs should be group minded. You doing it, without their input can be very bothering to others. I would think about speaking to them and sitting down and maybe creating a calendar of choirs, or an agreeable organization solutions. Don't move others stuff without permission. It's very annoying and rude to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Keeping rooms clean is not all that important - you'll survive if your rooms are messy. I love your positivity Jacksper but I'd have to agree with the others when it comes to overloading yourself.
I agree also about not overloading, but making changes little by little first verses everything all at once. It is very hard to sustain long term when change of multiple things happen So fast.

But I think wanting to get order to his living space is important. I don't think it should be viewed as something you will survive if you have a mess. There are studies done that indicate that a persons physical space is a direct reflection of their inner (mind) space
The Following User Says Thank You to Socaljaxs For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (03-13-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-16, 09:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,411 Times in 1,749 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaljaxs View Post
But I think wanting to get order to his living space is important. I don't think it should be viewed as something you will survive if you have a mess. There are studies done that indicate that a persons physical space is a direct reflection of their inner (mind) space
Good point. Went too far in my getting project >>cleaning comment.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (03-13-16)
Old 03-11-16, 03:02 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,314 Times in 13,288 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Jack as always I admire your self improvement journey and gut level honesty. Seriously, if you have had success in all the things youve done so far and you have success with this, you should look into becoming a professional organizer on the side-no joke. I know if I could afford one it would help me. If you were my neighbor it would be a god send!

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (03-13-16), stef (03-11-16)
Old 03-13-16, 08:33 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,821 Times in 660 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute

@sarahsweets - Hahahaha that would be great! I think I would actually love that job! With organizing I am really paradoxical - if I am not acting consciously, things quickly descend into chaos, but consciously I love to think of ways to organize myself. I can't wait to find out which side will will!

other comments: will respond later, have to sleep now. But don't worry, I am not overworking myself, but thanks for the reminder to focus on what should be my real priorities, that was helpful! Getting a bit organized is included in this, at least to a reasonable extent, and I have managed to do this now. I feel much more in control over my life. Will organize a bit more, but I will avoid hyperfocussing on it, because that would be bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
stef (03-14-16)