ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

View Poll Results: if you could help prevent ADHD in other people, would you?
yes 6 85.71%
no 1 14.29%
other 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-16, 12:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,142 Times in 858 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
..help prevent and/or lessen the severity of ADHD

What can we do to help prevent and/or lessen the severity of ADHD, in young children who do not have ADHD yet?

B
TheGreatKing (04-02-16)
Old 04-02-16, 12:48 AM
Pawfect Moderator

Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,159 Posts
Socaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud of
Re: ..help prevent and/or lessen the severity of ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
What can we do to help prevent and/or lessen the severity of ADHD, in young children who do not have ADHD yet?
I don't believe ADHD is preventable
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Socaljaxs For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (04-02-16), mctavish23 (04-02-16)
Old 04-02-16, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaljaxs View Post
I don't believe ADHD is preventable
If you could help lessen the severity of ADHD in other people, would you?

W
namazu (04-02-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-16, 01:19 AM
Pawfect Moderator

Socaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud of

Quote:
If you could help lessen the severity of ADHD in other people, would you?
Sure, I wouldn't want someone to suffer if I could help.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Socaljaxs For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (04-02-16), mildadhd (04-02-16), namazu (04-02-16), TheGreatKing (04-02-16)
Old 04-02-16, 01:50 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

I would help lessen the severity of ADHD in others if i could, of course i would.
I have done a lot of questionable things , broken laws and hurt people. I don't
wish that upon anyone.
I think of this forum of one way of receiving help and support and also giving it back to people in need.
mildadhd (04-02-16), namazu (04-02-16), stef (04-02-16)
Old 04-02-16, 03:50 AM

Thanked 1,346 Times in 555 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly, just being a role model has been shown to have excellent outcomes for adhd kids.

Mainly though, providing extra time and attention towards helping them understand why and not just the how of life.

People and Kids need to know what they are focusing for. You just can't tell an ADHD person to do x and do y with the expectation that they will if you have not explained why it matters, and why it matters to you, and why it matters for them.

Most people don't take the time to do this for themselves, so it's a challenge, but I do know that this helps.

Good luck to you and I hope you find the answers that you need.
Fuzzy12 (04-02-16), mildadhd (04-02-16), namazu (04-02-16), Socaljaxs (04-02-16), Unmanagable (04-02-16)
Old 04-02-16, 08:37 AM

Quote:
In developmental psychology and developmental biology, a critical period is a maturational stage in the lifespan of an organism during which the nervous system is especially sensitive to certain environmental stimuli. If, for some reason, the organism does not receive the appropriate stimulus during this "critical period" to learn a given skill or trait, it may be difficult, ultimately less successful, or even impossible, to develop some functions later in life. Functions that are indispensable to an organism's survival, such as vision, are particularly likely to develop during critical periods.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_period
*We can learn and promote awareness about the critical period of emotional-self-regulation which occurs during the first few years of life. When young children are "especially sensitive to certain environmental stimuli".

-What environmental stimuli promote development of emotion-self-regulation?

-What environmental stimuli interfere with the development of emotional-self-regulation?

(especially during the early sensitive critical period of development, since most of us have symptoms of a lack of emotional-self-regulation (aka, ADHD) by the age of 7)

There are doctors that have been discussing these topics publicly for at least 15 years.

**We can promote awareness of topics like the critical period of early development here at ADDForums.

%

Last edited by mildadhd; 04-02-16 at 08:59 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (04-02-16)
Old 04-02-16, 09:32 AM

Quote:

-What environmental stimuli interfere with the development of emotional-self-regulation?

1) Fathers of fathers that leave their family without the emotional support required to help promote healthy fine tuning of emotion-self-regulation in their children?

U
Old 04-02-16, 09:53 AM

Quote:

1) Fathers of fathers that leave their family without the emotional support required to help promote healthy fine tuning of emotion-self-regulation in their children?

2) Primary caregivers that by no fault of their own, are consistently abnormally emotionally distressed during the child's critical period of emotional-self-regulation?

3)...

E
Old 04-02-16, 09:59 AM
Pawfect Moderator

Quote:
just so I'm clear this would be the paternal grandfather that you speak of? Correct? If so could you elaborate on this or show sources to confirm this?

My paternal grandfather was murderedwhen my father was 11. So this is something if it is what you men I would like to learn more about
The Following User Says Thank You to Socaljaxs For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (04-02-16)
Old 04-02-16, 10:01 AM

2) Primary caregivers that by no fault of their own, are consistently abnormally emotionally distressed during the child's critical period of emotional-self-regulation?

3) War

4)...

W
Old 04-02-16, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaljaxs View Post
just so I'm clear this would be the paternal grandfather that you speak of? Correct? If so could you elaborate on this or show sources to confirm this?

My paternal grandfather was murderedwhen my father was 11. So this is something if it is what you men I would like to learn more about

There are many unintentional types of distresses that may interfere the infant-primary caregiver's attunement relationship essential for neurodevelopmental fine tuning of emotional-self-regulation, during the child's early sensitive critical period.

Distressed early attunement relationships are especially likely to be lacking if the fathers and other primary caregivers "missed out on their own childhoods".

Quote:
Quote:
"..attunement is especially likely to be lacking if the parents missed out on their own childhoods."
-Gabor Mate M.D., "In The Realm Of Hungry Ghost", P 238.

O

Last edited by mildadhd; 04-02-16 at 11:38 AM..
Old 04-02-16, 11:49 AM

Thanked 1,537 Times in 845 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe that we can prevent true ADHD but I know that the more people are educated about the better off we all are. Parents will recognize it and begin early interventions to help their child cope at school and in life.

There are other situations that can mimic ADHD- such as those listed above.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-02-16), namazu (04-02-16), Socaljaxs (04-02-16)
Old 04-02-16, 12:04 PM
Pawfect Moderator

Quote:
There are many unintentional types of distresses that may interfere the infant-primary caregiver's attunement relationship essential for neurodevelopmental fine tuning of emotional-self-regulation, during the child's early sensitive critical period.

Distressed early attunement relationships are especially likely to be lacking if the fathers and other primary caregivers "missed out on their own childhoods".
Was that a yes or no?
The Following User Says Thank You to Socaljaxs For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-02-16)
Old 04-02-16, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
I don't believe that we can prevent true ADHD but I know that the more people are educated about the better off we all are. Parents will recognize it and begin early interventions to help their child cope at school and in life.

There are other situations that can mimic ADHD- such as those listed above.
Whether people have ADHD due to a inherited temperament, and/or, due to abnormally distressful early life experiences, in both cases, they both still experience a critical period of emotional-self-regulation "during which the nervous system is especially sensitive to certain environmental stimuli."

i

Last edited by mildadhd; 04-02-16 at 12:56 PM..