ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Current ADD Events & News > ADD News
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD News News from around the world about ADD/ADHD, other disorders, and some rather bizzarre & strange stories.

Old 06-01-16, 04:19 PM

caughtinabadone is a jewel in the roughcaughtinabadone is a jewel in the roughcaughtinabadone is a jewel in the rough
Question America's workforce runs on narcotic stimulants

http://daily.jstor.org/americas-work...ic-stimulants/

Quote:
America’s workforce runs on amphetamines.

More specifically, it runs on Adderall (dextroamphetamine), Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine), Focalin (dexmethylphenidate), and Concerta (methylphenidate), all commonly used to treat attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Over the past five years, reports of a growing amphetamine epidemic in the United States have surfaced in unlikely places: From gym rats to Hollywood actresses to fearful college kids and stressed writers, there’s been no lack of exposés and personal interviews on the country’s prescription amphetamine and methamphetamine users.
Thoughts?
The Following User Says Thank You to caughtinabadone For This Useful Post:
C15H25N3O (01-12-17)
Old 06-01-16, 04:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,417 Times in 11,485 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: America's workforce runs on narcotic stimulants

Sensationalistic and hardly journalism.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-01-16), br3akingchains (09-13-16), Fuzzy12 (06-01-16)
Old 06-01-16, 05:10 PM

Thanked 27,031 Times in 13,128 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

yes pls remove?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (06-01-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-16, 06:57 PM

Thanked 14,556 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

More fearmongering and sensationalism.
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (06-01-16)
Old 06-01-16, 11:38 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Cyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond repute

It makes it sound like this is a huge problem, but the only attempt it makes at actually giving a number of people abusing stimulants is:

Quote:
In 2013, the National Survey of Drug Use and Health, around 10 percent of adult Americans admit to using prescription stimulants at some point in their lives.
And that sounds like a pretty reasonable number, considering "using prescription stimulants at some point in their lives" includes people who are currently using it because they have ADHD, people who used it as a child because they have ADHD, people who used it temporarily because their doctor thought they had ADHD, any of those situations for other conditions (e.g. narcolepsy), and people abusing or previously abusing stimulants for reasons other than workforce performance.

It's like the author knew their own premise was false but they are trying to deceive people who have bad reading comprehension.

It says "ADHD wasn't even considered a diagnosis for the adult population until after 2006" which suggests he doesn't think we really have ADHD and don't deserve to have access to ADHD meds.

And then it hardly even hints at what I think would be the problems with widespread work-related use of therapeutic amounts of Adderall by non-disordered people. I guess because that problem doesn't currently exist.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyllya For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (09-13-16), Fuzzy12 (06-02-16)
Old 06-02-16, 04:39 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,280 Times in 14,940 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

They should come here to NJ and see the effects of the heroin epidemic and pain killer addictions and how those substances are wrecking lives. They need to help me understand why 10% of adults using stimulants is more noteworthy than the nation's and particularly NJ's, overdose deaths tripling in the last 1 or 2 years. I got narcan certified(injection) because of my dealings with people with addiction through AA, and have personally known three people who have overdosed in the last year.
F**k that 'news' article.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (01-12-17), Free to Fly (06-02-16)
Old 06-02-16, 11:16 AM

caughtinabadone is a jewel in the roughcaughtinabadone is a jewel in the roughcaughtinabadone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
yes pls remove?
Well you can pretend it didn't exist, but it remains written on the reputable JSTOR website.

How might we collectively stop these sensational articles to protect our meds for those who need them?
The Following User Says Thank You to caughtinabadone For This Useful Post:
C15H25N3O (01-13-17)
Old 06-02-16, 12:22 PM

Thanked 21,417 Times in 11,485 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughtinabadone View Post
Well you can pretend it didn't exist, but it remains written on the reputable JSTOR website.

How might we collectively stop these sensational articles to protect our meds for those who need them?
Write your congressman.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 06-02-16, 10:51 PM
Contributor

mrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to all

This is sensationalist faux journalism like "adderall abuse is college is higher and everybody takes it" when it reality rates of stimulant abuse have been uniform for years.
Old 01-12-17, 08:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

C15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughtinabadone View Post
Fake news?

Is this Adderall? The colorizing looks like ecstasy pills to me.

CBD-votary
Old 01-12-17, 08:47 PM

Thanked 6,477 Times in 3,092 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Stimulant abuse is a wide spread problem. Not really sure why people are shooting it down. The added pressures that are being placed on people in the modern world to perform beyond normal human boundaries is causing them to turn to performance enhancing drugs. It is a growing issue. Perhaps not an epidemic, but it's certainly moving in that direction.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
C15H25N3O (01-12-17), ginniebean (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 08:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

C15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Stimulant abuse is a wide spread problem. Not really sure why people are shooting it down. The added pressures that are being placed on people in the modern world to perform beyond normal human boundaries is causing them to turn to performance enhancing drugs. It is a growing issue. Perhaps not an epidemic, but it's certainly moving in that direction.
Great comment. I believe people with an ADHD diagnosis also like people who "abuse"
the pills are forced by technical evolution to use this substances to survive in a world
nearly every job can be replaced by a machine. Why does Amazon announce to make 100.000 jobs while they
try to use drones to ship parcels. The postman will be fired! Welcome to era of fake!

CBD-votary

Last edited by namazu; 01-13-17 at 03:26 AM.. Reason: Political discussion is prohibited on ADDF.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C15H25N3O For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-12-17), ginniebean (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 09:10 PM

Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C15H25N3O View Post
Great comment. I believe people with an ADHD diagnosis also like people who "abuse"
the pills are forced by technical evolution to use this substances to survive in a world
nearly every job can be replaced by a machine. Why does Amazon announce to make 100.000 jobs while they
try to use drones to ship parcels. The postman will be fired! Welcome to era of fake!
I used to work for Amazon (for like 2 weeks). I was a packer and was packing around 250 parcels an hour. Which was the fastest out of any person in the warehouse (the largest in Europe!) But despite this, the higher ups were still coming up to me and telling me to go faster. I was already going far beyond a pace that would be considered safe for a human to perform at.... needless to say, after 2 weeks, I was rushed to A&E after collapsing in the warehouse and was order by my GP never to go back there again.

I think you're right though. Soon machines will more or less replace all of us, because there's just no way we can keep up..... the up side however is that they will need people to create these machines and design the sophisticated hardware and software to perform the functions.

Which is why I now find myself on a Software Development course.

Last edited by namazu; 01-13-17 at 03:26 AM.. Reason: Quoted text edited due to political content.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 09:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Stimulant abuse is a wide spread problem.
Do you really think the abuse is the worst problem?
This is not against big pharma but I think the medical
use of stimulants is a huger problem in many cases.

Be honest. How many of us are still in a brain-cage
and dont function like neuro-typicals while we tell
our docs we need the stimulants because they make
us function. Do stimulants make ADHD brains function
to start a career? I believe they do in very rare cases.

Use and abuse belong to each other and are the same.

Use and abuse are not defined by status of prescription.

CBD-votary
Old 01-12-17, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C15H25N3O View Post
Do you really think the abuse is the worst problem?
This is not against big pharma but I think the medical
use of stimulants is a huger problem in many cases.

Be honest. How many of us are still in a brain-cage
and dont function like neuro-typicals while we tell
our docs we need the stimulants because they make
us function. Do stimulants make ADHD brains function
to start a career? I believe they do in very rare cases.
Well I don't take any stimulant medication at the moment. But when I do finally start taking them, I won't be doing it with the expectation that they will automatically make my life better. What I do expect from them however, is that they will help me to help myself make my life better.

Stimulants don't make ADHDers function, it just gives them the choice to function at a higher capability when they put the effort in. But they still need to put the effort in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
C15H25N3O (01-12-17)