ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 06-03-16, 03:09 PM
Contributor

mrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to all
How do you find a doctor who understands ADHD in a new area?

I have a good psychiatrist who actually listens, diagnosed me with ADHD at age 20 and have been the most stable i've ever been in my life the past 5 years with treatment (vyvanse) and support. Thing is I'm moving areas for medical school.

How do you find a good doctor who understands ADHD in your area, especially if it's an area you don't know? I'm moving to South Bend, Indiana and I'm BEYOND wary of having to switch doctors because I've had horrible experiences with doctors in the past. I don't want to have to go through a bunch of different doctors because so many doctors seem to lack understanding of how ADHD actually is and the forms it takes. That'd be seriously disheartening and frustrating. I also feel like I have everything to lose because my ADHD is berserk without meds, and there's no way I'd make it through medical school or really function at all with untreated ADHD. All I need is treatment maintenance, but with the way doctors can be even that sounds like it'd be annoying. I'm getting a summary of my treatment from my doctor with my diagnosis, medicines I respond well too, current regiment, and medicines I don't respond well to, and I'm hoping to find a doctor to so my psychiatrist can talk to this doctor so the new doc can understand my condition before i see the new one.

Forgot to mention, I googled and tried to find doctors who treat adult ADHD or child ADHD, or just find psychiatrists and go by yelp reviews, but that's just so variable. I'd really appreciate knowing your strategies?
Old 06-03-16, 04:53 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,347 Times in 780 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of
Re: How do you find a doctor who understands ADHD in a new area?

mrh, If it was me I would leave a message w/ my Doc's staff regarding my upcoming move and wanting to know if my Doc has a recommendation either positive recommendations or barring that recommendations on who to avoid.

OH FOR PETE'S SAKE I JUST REALIZED......NOTRE *spit big loogie* DAME!!!

Well none of the locals are capable, head North until you cross the State Line and anyone there will be better, even if not an MD. GL, -LN
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
mrh235 (06-03-16)
Old 06-03-16, 05:37 PM
Contributor

mrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
mrh, If it was me I would leave a message w/ my Doc's staff regarding my upcoming move and wanting to know if my Doc has a recommendation either positive recommendations or barring that recommendations on who to avoid.

OH FOR PETE'S SAKE I JUST REALIZED......NOTRE *spit big loogie* DAME!!!

Well none of the locals are capable, head North until you cross the State Line and anyone there will be better, even if not an MD. GL, -LN
Yea norte dame, I'm going to Indiana medical school and chose this campus because Norte dame . It's an awesome opportunity.
Based off of your experience none of the locals are capable? This sucks but it doesn't surprise me, I thought I found what sounds like a decent MD (I thought he was a DO and was hoping he was) through Oaklawn (http://www.oaklawn.org/physicians - Douglas Jarvis) should I head to North to IL or MI? Chicago is like 2 hrs away, and if I do have to go far to get treatment, I really don't want to have to go through a ton of trial and error with docs that just don't get ADHD or won't treat me. That'd be awful.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-16, 08:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,180 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

I don't know about the US but over here a friend looked up for me a ADD help group, they had a list of ADD aware dr's.

I still had to work my way through the list. I'm happy with my guy though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
mrh235 (06-03-16)
Old 06-03-16, 08:59 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,347 Times in 780 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh235 View Post
--SNIP-- should I head to North to IL or MI? Chicago is like 2 hrs away, and if I do have to go far to get treatment, I really don't want to have to go through a ton of trial and error with docs that just don't get ADHD or won't treat me. That'd be awful.

Pls disregard, I was clowning at the end. In all sincerity I would hit up your Doc or hit up one of the profs for a recommendation. GL
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
mrh235 (06-03-16)
Old 06-03-16, 09:10 PM

Thanked 21,087 Times in 11,257 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry, there'll be plenty of psychiatrist/neurologists to choose from where you will be going to school.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
mrh235 (06-03-16)
Old 06-03-16, 11:16 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Pls disregard, I was clowning at the end. In all sincerity I would hit up your Doc or hit up one of the profs for a recommendation. GL

haha glad to hear it. my doc doesnt know anyone from indiana unfortunately (im in CA)
Old 06-04-16, 07:51 AM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh235 View Post
haha glad to hear it. my doc doesnt know anyone from indiana unfortunately (im in CA)
Just google psychiatrists near there in Indiana. There are LOTS of them. LOTS.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
mrh235 (06-07-16)
Old 06-05-16, 11:00 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,204 Times in 14,318 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Get some old dice from a game, close your eyes and roll!
(jk)

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
mrh235 (06-07-16)
Old 06-07-16, 03:59 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Just google psychiatrists near there in Indiana. There are LOTS of them. LOTS.
Thank you that's what I've been doing. Yesterday/today I finally drummed up the courage to start calling up doctor's office near where I'm going to medical school and found some promising doctors.

Most of these doctor's offices are fine with a one page treatment summary of my condition and medicines list, and won't send me out for testing and ideally wouldn't try and rediagnose me.

How can my current psychiatrist make this transition process easier though? I'm going to have him explain how my anxiety is a coping mechanism due to ADHD and that my depression is under control, just in case these doctors try and misdiagnose me with depression. I'm also going to try and have him list medications I don't respond well to so I don't get dicked around with Lamictal (horrible experience never again), SSRIs (did nothing), or benzos (made me totally non-functional). Would either of these things help? How receptive are new doctors to following treatment summaries?
Finally, I left my doctor a message/email with contact information for the most promising potential options for doctors I found, as maybe he could find out more information about what they would require from me as a patient, and help them understand my condition better. There are so many misconceptions about ADHD I figure this would really help. Is it normal for doctors to talk to each other like this and do you think it'd help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Get some old dice from a game, close your eyes and roll!
(jk)

haha that's what it feels like trying to find a good doctor sometimes :P. I love your thread about doctors btw, you gave words to everything I've been going through. Ty so much
The Following User Says Thank You to mrh235 For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (06-08-16)
Old 06-07-16, 04:13 PM

No. In my experience doctors do not talk with other doctors nor do they summarize for each other.

But you may have a different experience.

mrh235 (06-07-16)
Old 06-07-16, 05:34 PM

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,194 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

You can ask for your medical records and your records will show your diagnosis, etc ...

Interesting I have found that every psychiatrist I've gone to has had a strong appreciation for the challenges of ADHD. Not the same for therapists. I once screamed at a therapist who insisted that taking meds was bad. He called me to ask for another meeting. I left a message calling him an idiot. Not my best self ... But after finally getting treatment for a miserable condition, I was furious that the therapist saw it as his goal to get me off meds.

But I've been to three psychiatrist and a nurse psychiatric practitioner and each easily and quickly understood ADHD. I don't think there's a lot of debate in psychiatric circles about ADHD. Outside of psychiatric circles yes ... But even my family doctor gets ADHD. She has written scripts for me when I'm between psychiatrists.

When I've looked for psychiatrists, I look for their website and whether they list ADHD as a prominent condition they treat. If they don't list it, I tend not to try them at all ... There are some reviews/ratings sites where people rave about the psychiatrists they like.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
mrh235 (06-07-16)
Old 06-07-16, 06:02 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneTone View Post
You can ask for your medical records and your records will show your diagnosis, etc ...

Interesting I have found that every psychiatrist I've gone to has had a strong appreciation for the challenges of ADHD. Not the same for therapists. I once screamed at a therapist who insisted that taking meds was bad. He called me to ask for another meeting. I left a message calling him an idiot. Not my best self ... But after finally getting treatment for a miserable condition, I was furious that the therapist saw it as his goal to get me off meds.

But I've been to three psychiatrist and a nurse psychiatric practitioner and each easily and quickly understood ADHD. I don't think there's a lot of debate in psychiatric circles about ADHD. Outside of psychiatric circles yes ... But even my family doctor gets ADHD. She has written scripts for me when I'm between psychiatrists.

When I've looked for psychiatrists, I look for their website and whether they list ADHD as a prominent condition they treat. If they don't list it, I tend not to try them at all ... There are some reviews/ratings sites where people rave about the psychiatrists they like.
That's so awesome! How were your first sessions with new doctors and how quick were they to understand your condition and what sort of questions did they ask before they were to treat your condition? I'm really hoping it'll be simple and that I will have similar experiences to what you did.
Old 06-09-16, 06:54 PM

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,194 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

All the psychiatrists I've met (three) and the psychiatric nurse practitioner all got on board with my ADHD diagnosis immediately, and each one continued the medications I had previously been on.

I'm also treated for depression ... and so I don't think anyone wants to tinker with a depression treatment. So maybe my ADHD diagnosis gets a quick approval ... Just talking out loud, not sure at all.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
mrh235 (06-09-16)