ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-28-16, 09:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

Gypsy Willow has a spectacular aura aboutGypsy Willow has a spectacular aura about
How to You Gracefully "Bow Out" of A Job

...when it's not a good fit due to the ADD? Lie? Say you have another job offer? Tell them you're moving to Tahiti? Because God knows, if you tell them you suffer ADD and feel the need to find a "better fit", all they do is freakin' argue with you about it and tell you it's not real, or you are giving up too soon, etc.

I'm on a job that is WAY to distracting and chaotic and I can't get the ADD medication because I have no insurance yet.

I'm getting corrected on little stupid mistakes that I make because of all the interruptions.

The stress of this is making me have other health issues and I just don't know what to do.

In theory, this is a great job. Good benefits, retirement, etc. But I'm miserable and once again, am facing another "failure" due to this condition of inattentive ADD. And the harder I try, the more mistakes I make.

I feel trapped and helpless.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gypsy Willow For This Useful Post:
ItsaRose (05-27-17), Pilgrim (05-22-17), SweetPotato (05-08-18)
Old 06-28-16, 09:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,126 Times in 13,883 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to You Gracefully "Bow Out" of A Job

Are you asking how to inform your employer gently that you are leaving?

Just tell them thanks for the opportunity they've given you but you are moving on to something that's a better fit (no need to get into details) and you hope you will stay in touch.

If you want to be extra nice you can ask what you can do to make the transition for them easier (e.g. training your replacement or documenting your work so your replacement will find it easier to start where you stopped, etc)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-22-17), Gypsy Willow (06-28-16), ItsaRose (05-27-17), stef (06-28-16)
Old 06-28-16, 09:49 AM
ADDvanced Member

Gypsy Willow has a spectacular aura aboutGypsy Willow has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Are you asking how to inform your employer gently that you are leaving?

Just tell them thanks for the opportunity they've given you but you are moving on to something that's a better fit (no need to get into details) and you hope you will stay in touch.

If you want to be extra nice you can ask what you can do to make the transition for them easier (e.g. training your replacement or documenting your work so your replacement will find it easier to start where you stopped, etc)
I'm just frustrated that I can't find my "home". That "right" fit. That "right" job that I can do. Oh sure....there are jobs I can "do" but they don't pay enough for me to survive on. I don't have another job offer yet either. I'm miserable.

But what you advised is very good. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsy Willow For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-28-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-16, 11:20 AM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in a similar situation. Can't find the right fit. I love parts of what I'm doing now but hate some other parts of it and absolutely suck at those. It's been like that with every job I've had.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Gypsy Willow (06-28-16), ItsaRose (05-27-17), stef (06-29-16)
Old 06-28-16, 11:31 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I'm in a similar situation. Can't find the right fit. I love parts of what I'm doing now but hate some other parts of it and absolutely suck at those. It's been like that with every job I've had.
Me too! It's much more manageable with the meds but without them......UGGHHH!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsy Willow For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-28-16)
Old 06-28-16, 08:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

Tetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really nice

Is there a way you can stick it out until you can get insurance? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume that if there are good benefits, it would include health insurance, and you would therefore just have to wait until it kicks in. If you enjoy the job and think medicine is what's going to make the difference, it might be worthwhile to consider sticking it out.

The other thing to consider is that no one is perfect at their jobs. Are you underestimating your abilities? Are there minor adjustments that can be made to help you become better adjusted with this job? Does your job allow you to have more of a distraction-free setting?

If you are leaving, I agree with Fuzzy12. There is no need to tell them about ADHD. You might even be able to google search ideas for how to submit a two weeks' notice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tetrahedra For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-28-16), Gypsy Willow (06-29-16)
Old 05-17-17, 12:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

I stuck it out and couldn't be happier! I actually just got back on Adderall (wanted to see how long I could function without it but the anxiety and brain fog started returning) and handled the job fine. The evil, mean boss retired and the new boss is awesome! Got a great raise too!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gypsy Willow For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-22-17), finallyfound10 (05-21-17), Fraser_0762 (02-07-18), Greyhound1 (05-17-17), ItsaRose (05-27-17), psychopathetic (05-22-17), Traveler5 (06-06-17)
Old 05-21-17, 11:38 PM

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Willow View Post
I stuck it out and couldn't be happier! I actually just got back on Adderall (wanted to see how long I could function without it but the anxiety and brain fog started returning) and handled the job fine. The evil, mean boss retired and the new boss is awesome! Got a great raise too!

Thank you for the follow up!!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Gypsy Willow (05-23-17)
Old 05-22-17, 06:25 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,063 Times in 7,501 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
omfg that's amazing! haha I just realized I said that out loud in the 3d world!

Freaking awesome that you ended up sticking it out! I SOOOO wish I'd have stuck my last out. I think it would've become my 'forever' job.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Gypsy Willow (05-23-17), ItsaRose (05-27-17)
Old 02-07-18, 06:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Well, my last day is Feb 23rd. Too much. I lost a sibling in January and the way I was treated by co workers when I had to leave in the middle of the day, was a nightmare. And the way I was treated by two of them when I returned from the bereavement leave was reprehensible. I was weepy that first day, couldn't focus. The Adderall doesn't do too terribly much when you are in mourning. One of them thought I was "mad" at her (because afterall, one's grief is ALL about some selfish, immature person.) Well she goes and turns another co worker against me so neither one has spoken to me. LOL! So I speak to them and they are the ones who look like an ***.

I had gotten pneumonia in December, then the sibling died, then I had a relapse and just can't take it anymore. I couldn't focus at all. The Adderall helps in every other scenario but this job. The hostility. The toxicity. The immature distractions.

The really cool boss we got in May? He left in November. Not even 5 months. What does that say when the good people leave.

I don't have another job yet. I'll just go back to temp work.

This is when ADD really sucks.

Last edited by Gypsy Willow; 02-07-18 at 06:48 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gypsy Willow For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-07-18), FlipperTheWhale (02-07-18), Lunacie (02-08-18), namazu (02-08-18), stef (02-07-18), SweetPotato (05-08-18)
Old 02-07-18, 06:36 PM

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

(((Gypsy Willow)))
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Gypsy Willow (02-07-18)
Old 02-07-18, 06:38 PM

Thanked 6,477 Times in 3,092 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Well done for hanging in there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-07-18), Gypsy Willow (02-07-18), Little Missy (02-07-18), stef (02-08-18)
Old 02-07-18, 06:50 PM

Thanked 14,555 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Do a pirouette on your way out the door as you wield your Kalashnikov?

Best Wishes,
Ian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Gypsy Willow (02-27-18), Little Missy (02-07-18), stef (02-08-18)
Old 02-07-18, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Well, my last day is Feb 23rd. Too much. I lost a sibling in January and the way I was treated by co workers when I had to leave in the middle of the day, was a nightmare. And the way I was treated by two of them when I returned from the bereavement leave was reprehensible. I was weepy that first day, couldn't focus. The Adderall doesn't do too terribly much when you are in mourning. One of them thought I was "mad" at her (because afterall, one's grief is ALL about some selfish, immature person.) Well she goes and turns another co worker against me so neither one has spoken to me. LOL! So I speak to them and they are the ones who look like an ***.

I had gotten pneumonia in December, then the sibling died, then I had a relapse and just can't take it anymore. I couldn't focus at all. The Adderall helps in every other scenario but this job. The hostility. The toxicity. The immature distractions.

The really cool boss we got in May? He left in November. Not even 5 months. What does that say when the good people leave.

I don't have another job yet. I'll just go back to temp work.

This is when ADD really sucks.

I'm so sorry about your sibling. That must be so tough to then have to go back to work and function. ADHD sucks and so can life. Hope things will look up for you soon again!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Gypsy Willow (02-08-18), Lunacie (02-08-18), stef (02-08-18)
Old 02-08-18, 04:36 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,269 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

You do not owe anyone an explanation. If you have to leave its just time to move on.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Gypsy Willow (02-08-18)