ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-16, 01:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

C15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to all
The "R-Word"?

[MODERATOR NOTE: This question was split off from another thread.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Reason for editing: Replace "r-word" (which many people consider offensive) with "ridiculous".
What is the r-word? I need to become better in psychatrists-english not to be understood offensive.

CBD-votary

Last edited by namazu; 08-30-16 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Due to thread split
The Following User Says Thank You to C15H25N3O For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-09-16)
Old 08-30-16, 03:55 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,119 Times in 8,902 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WTH is happening?

This question comes up frequently, and there may be others reading who are unfamiliar with the language issues, so I'll explain here.

"Retarded" is the "r-word" I removed from the post.

The term "mentally retarded" was once standard clinical terminology. It could be used in polite American English by doctors, parents, and teachers to describe the diagnosis of people with measured low IQ (usually <70) or other severe developmental delays that typically caused serious impairments in communication, self-care, and other functional abilities.

"Retarded" (adjective), or worse, "retard" (noun as epithet) soon became used as a slur in schoolyards, and spread from there. It was -- and sometimes still is -- used as a direct insult to people with the clinical diagnosis, as well as to people with other learning or behavior problems and/or to people who received special educational services in school -- including some members of this forum.

This "r-word" has been, and still is, also used pejoratively to describe a number of other people or situations (as in your post). It may be intended as a direct insult to the people/situations so labeled, but it is also perceived as an insult by people with intellectual disabilities, who are tarred by association with the actual targets of the insults (with whom they may have very little in common and of whose behavior they themselves may not approve!).

Because of its frequent use over many years as a hurtful insult, the word "retarded" is now considered highly offensive by a large segment of the population. Some advocates, including people who had been labeled (or mocked as) "retarded", see it as a word associated with such disrespect and dehumanization that it has no business being uttered under any circumstances.*

A more current clinical/diagnostic label for what was formerly called "mental retardation" is "intellectual disability" (per DSM-5, following the lead of other organizations). In some cases, "developmental disability/delay" may also be used, though this latter term is broader and may include other conditions that don't, by definition, imply limited intellectual abilities, including ADHD and autism).

The accepted terminology is likely to change again in the future with shifts in social and scientific understanding of the underlying conditions that cause "intellectual disability".

On the forum, when describing a situation or behavior, try substituting "frustrating", "nonsensical", "ridiculous", "exasperating", or some other word. When describing people, keep in mind that insulting other forum members isn't allowed. For others, like particularly intransigent doctors who should know better, there's "ignorant", "bone-headed", "incompetent", "asinine", "stupid", and other possibilities as your thesaurus or creativity allow.

But please avoid using the "r-word". For similar reasons, please also avoid using other clinical/medical terminology as a casual insult or informal descriptor (e.g. "psychotic", "bipolar", "schizophrenic").

Please let me or any other moderator know if you have questions about this.

Thank you!

* See, for example, the "Spread the Word to End the Word" campaign, which highlights the stories of people who have been hurt by this word and its associations, and who advocate that the "r-word" should be relegated to the dustbin of history.

Last edited by namazu; 08-30-16 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: due to thread split
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-09-16), aeon (08-30-16), C15H25N3O (08-31-16), cwf1986 (09-12-16), Fuzzy12 (08-30-16), Greyhound1 (08-30-16), midnightstar (08-31-16), spamspambacon (08-31-16)
Old 08-30-16, 07:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

C15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to allC15H25N3O is a name known to all
Re: WTH is happening?

It was not my post but I asked for the word.

In many european languages "retarded" means "slow release" and it is printed on many meds.

CBD-votary
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to C15H25N3O For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-09-16), aeon (08-30-16), midnightstar (08-31-16), namazu (08-30-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-16, 07:44 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The "R-Word"?

Yes, there is also a slow-release preparation of methylphenidate called "Medikinet retard", and we are aware that the word does not have the same negative connotations or associations in other languages.

The root word is the same, meaning "slow" or "slowed", and that is why it was originally applied to people believed to be "delayed" or "slow" in development.

Today, when used in English to describe a person or situation, the word can be very hurtful because of the way its use changed over time from a diagnostic term to an insult. Thus, we request that you not use it in that way.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-09-16), aeon (08-30-16), C15H25N3O (08-31-16), midnightstar (08-31-16)
Old 08-30-16, 09:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Can countries be "retarded" in treating of ADHD or technology standards?

CBD-votary
namazu (08-30-16)
Old 08-30-16, 09:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 18,866 Times in 10,050 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C15H25N3O View Post
Nah, most likely ignorant or controlling.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
C15H25N3O (08-31-16), midnightstar (08-31-16), namazu (08-30-16)
Old 08-30-16, 10:47 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C15H25N3O View Post
For what I think you mean (at least for ADHD treatment), Missy's suggestion of "ignorant" is good.

You could also say something like "uninformed" or "lagging" or "behind the times" / "behind the curve" or "not up to speed" / "not up to par" . All of these phrases would indicate that the country was not yet meeting some more advanced standard of knowledge/practice.

In current English, I can think of only a few instances where "retard*" is used in a way that isn't likely to offend, and they are usually technical: for chemical substances like "flame retardants" (coatings or foams used to reduce the spread of fire) or for mechanical equipment like "hydraulic/electric retarders" (systems for truck braking). It's also used in music (directly from Romance languages) to mean "slow down the tempo". In general, applying "retard*" in English to people or to human actions/policies/etc. would be considered rude.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
C15H25N3O (08-31-16), Little Missy (08-31-16), midnightstar (08-31-16)
Old 08-31-16, 04:11 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,905 Times in 13,078 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I know that years ago I would use the r word casually. "The man was r*****!"
I have since learned how offensive that word is, even though I meant to slight to the disabled community.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
C15H25N3O (08-31-16), midnightstar (08-31-16), namazu (08-31-16), spamspambacon (08-31-16)
Old 08-31-16, 07:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Great explanations. It is a shame some people think about others disorders to be r***%***ed.

I see everyone with a disorder as a special being with special abilities maybe similar like the "mutants from X-men movies" but some might not have found their ablities.

I like to read about or listen to their emotions, views or ideas although it is a heavy load to have.

For a better world.

CBD-votary
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C15H25N3O For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (08-31-16), namazu (09-17-16)
Old 09-04-16, 05:56 PM

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation

Very good point....��
namazu (09-17-16)
Old 09-16-16, 10:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Rrrrrrrrrrrespect

CBD-votary
namazu (09-17-16)
Old 09-17-16, 01:29 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 25,913 Times in 12,690 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Linguistically its all fascinating, i took a class in the history of the english language.
infrench " retard" is literally a delay and to be late is " en retard", and these cant really be transformed into an insult, they are every day basic words.
an insult is " attardé" .
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-09-16), BellaVita (09-17-16), Fuzzy12 (09-23-16), Laserbeak (09-23-16), Little Missy (09-17-16), namazu (09-17-16)
Old 09-23-16, 06:22 AM

Thanked 1,543 Times in 928 Posts
Laserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to behold

I used it with profoundly mentally ******** in the context of microcephaly (in this case caused by the Zika virus). A Supermod changed the wording and I didn't mind if that is the site rules and didn't say anything, but the word is a valid medical word, especially in such a context where a person is basically a "vegetable" which is not a very kind word either.

She was told that it was. There was just a moment of silence before
the woman proceeded bravely on. "Well, I'm wondering, then, how serious my
condition is. This prescription is marked `NO REFILLS'".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laserbeak For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (09-23-16)
Old 09-23-16, 12:53 PM

bryanrc51 is on a distinguished road

I never quite understood the issue with that word as it is describing something but since it is offensive we now call that something something else. At work I deal with tubing, much of it is flame retardant. So how that is okay and saying someone is the word that shall not be mentioned is not just escapes me. Kinda like how we are not really supposed to say black but african american, thing is most times that person is not born in Africa. I don't go around calling myself Irish American I say I am white or an American. It just does not make any sense to me, why not just call an apple an apple.
The Following User Says Thank You to bryanrc51 For This Useful Post:
Laserbeak (09-23-16)
Old 09-23-16, 01:16 PM

Thanked 1,543 Times in 928 Posts
Laserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to beholdLaserbeak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Yes, there is also a slow-release preparation of methylphenidate called "Medikinet retard", and we are aware that the word does not have the same negative connotations or associations in other languages.

The root word is the same, meaning "slow" or "slowed", and that is why it was originally applied to people believed to be "delayed" or "slow" in development.

Today, when used in English to describe a person or situation, the word can be very hurtful because of the way its use changed over time from a diagnostic term to an insult. Thus, we request that you not use it in that way.
Is it still insulting to someone who is so "disabled" or whatever you want to call it that they can not understand any spoken, written or signed language?

She was told that it was. There was just a moment of silence before
the woman proceeded bravely on. "Well, I'm wondering, then, how serious my
condition is. This prescription is marked `NO REFILLS'".