ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-16, 08:02 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 12,909 Times in 5,218 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The "R-Word"?

Quote:
Is it still insulting to someone who is so "disabled" or whatever you want to call it that they can not understand any spoken, written or signed language?
There are plenty of people out there who can talk and have expressed their distaste for using the word. That's enough for us to have made this thread explaining why the mod team edits the word out of posts on the forum. That's enough evidence for me to stop using the term in casual conversation.

My personal philosophy: #DBAJ (Don't Be a Jerk). If language is hurtful, I'll try my best to stop using the language in question.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-24-16), Little Missy (09-24-16), midnightstar (09-24-16), namazu (09-24-16)
Old 09-24-16, 09:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,913 Times in 13,080 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanrc51 View Post
I never quite understood the issue with that word as it is describing something but since it is offensive we now call that something something else. At work I deal with tubing, much of it is flame retardant. So how that is okay and saying someone is the word that shall not be mentioned is not just escapes me.
Because you are talking about flame retardant tubing, not a person.

Quote:
Kinda like how we are not really supposed to say black but african american, thing is most times that person is not born in Africa. I don't go around calling myself Irish American I say I am white or an American. It just does not make any sense to me, why not just call an apple an apple.
Its not about where you were born, I guess its about where your roots come from. Either way, does it really bother you or hurt you or anyone to just not use the word? Does it make problems for you to say african american?
And if you wanted to say Irish American, no one would have a problem.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 09-24-16, 12:54 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 19,267 Times in 11,155 Posts
midnightstar has disabled reputation

I just wanted to add to the thread a quote from Thumper:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper from Bambi
If you can't say nothing nice don't say nothing at all
And to me, that quote also means using words that are hurtful (cause people have made them into hurtful words)
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Forever is a long, long time and time has a way of changing things" Big Mama - The Fox and the Hound (Disney)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-24-16), TygerSan (09-24-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-16, 02:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,353 Times in 12,691 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Is this an American thing that you can't say black?

Star, in the uk it's not offensive to say black right? Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

It wouldn't make sense of course to say African American here and I've never heard anyone say African British.

I agree totally by the way that once a word is deemed hurtful Or offensive by someone there is no need to use it anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (09-24-16)
Old 09-24-16, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Is this an American thing that you can't say black?

Star, in the uk it's not offensive to say black right? Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

It wouldn't make sense of course to say African American here and I've never heard anyone say African British.

I agree totally by the way that once a word is deemed hurtful Or offensive by someone there is no need to use it anymore.
If it was offensive to say black in this country I'd be in jail already

I describe Ebony as black all the time

idk about the area you live but nobody here gets offended at the word black As long as you don't say it in a racist/offensive way you're fine
"Forever is a long, long time and time has a way of changing things" Big Mama - The Fox and the Hound (Disney)
The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-24-16)
Old 09-24-16, 02:38 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
If it was offensive to say black in this country I'd be in jail already

I describe Ebony as black all the time

idk about the area you live but nobody here gets offended at the word black As long as you don't say it in a racist/offensive way you're fine

Thanks. Yes, that's what I thought. I guess it differs from.country to country what is deemed offensive and what isn't.
midnightstar (09-24-16)
Old 09-24-16, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Yes, that's what I thought. I guess it differs from.country to country what is deemed offensive and what isn't.
"Paki" is the word that's deemed to be really offensive here in the UK (idk if that word will get filtered)
Fuzzy12 (09-24-16)
Old 09-24-16, 02:43 PM

Quote:
"Paki" is the word that's deemed to be really offensive here in the UK (idk if that word will get filtered)
Yes, I know. I was called that as well once.
midnightstar (09-24-16)
Old 09-24-16, 02:46 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,913 Times in 13,080 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

In America, black is not offensive at all. I was just pointing out that african american doesnt always mean directly from africa. I dont know why someone would not be allowed to say black.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-24-16)
Old 09-24-16, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know. I was called that as well once.
The N word is the other really offensive word here in the UK (the N word will likely get filtered)
Fuzzy12 (09-24-16)
Old 09-24-16, 02:49 PM

Quote:
The N word is the other really offensive word here in the UK (the N word will likely get filtered)
Yes, I know. I guess that's one word that's universally offensive.
midnightstar (09-24-16)
Old 09-24-16, 03:16 PM

Thanked 18,881 Times in 10,053 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
In America, black is not offensive at all. I was just pointing out that african american doesnt always mean directly from africa. I dont know why someone would not be allowed to say black.
Back in MI, they wanted to be called black, referred to themselves as blacks, etc.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Laserbeak (09-24-16)