ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-16, 07:19 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,031 Times in 556 Posts
Twiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation A Forum for People that Don't Take Medications for AD(H)D

It would be good if there was a Non-medicated AD(H)D forum on here.
For people that either can't take medications due to medical reasons or don't want to take medications for their AD(H)D due to personal reasons.

I think that could help a lot of people of that sort with AD(H)D.

It would help this forum.

Rx= Nothing. Can't due to medical reasons.

Past Rx= Vyvanse 30mg (6/13/14), Adderall 15mg 1/7/14, Medical Marijuana, Smokeless Tobacco, Adderall IR 25mg 4/23/13, Dexedrine IR 20mg, Ritalin IR 60mg.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Twiggy For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-03-16), C15H25N3O (09-10-16), finallyfound10 (11-17-16), midnightstar (09-08-16), mildadhd (09-05-16), namazu (09-02-16), stef (09-04-16), Tetrahedra (09-20-16)
Old 09-02-16, 08:19 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,336 Times in 9,042 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Forum for People that Don't Take Medications for AD(H)D

Hi Twiggy,

You're right; a lot of forum members do not take medications (either by choice or by necessity or due to lack of access).

Most of the forum is not medication-specific (General ADD Talk, Relationships, Careers, Parenting, etc.).

We have sections for a variety of non-medication approaches to ADHD management as well, including nutrition, exercise, organizational tips, meditation/spirituality, technology, counseling, coaching (peer and professional), and other approaches.

You're welcome to discuss issues specific to people who don't take medication in any of these areas, as seems appropriate.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-03-16), midnightstar (09-08-16), stef (09-04-16)
Old 09-03-16, 10:19 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,217 Times in 13,234 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Lunacie and Unmanageble do not take meds. Perhaps they could weigh in.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-03-16), midnightstar (09-08-16), namazu (09-03-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-16, 11:33 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,668 Times in 8,846 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I feel comfortable in how it's currently operating and enjoy participating in the areas currently made available with different topics. I had to do a lot of work on myself to reach this level of comfort, that's for sure.

It seems most of the spaces for what is considered to be "alternative treatments" are rather inactive most of the time, and much of what has worked for me doesn't have a s*** ton of scientific documentation to validate it's effectiveness in the minds of most, so it can become rather frustrating trying to contribute at times. I did feel quite out of place, and sometimes quite judged, for a while when I first stopped taking meds.

I still get triggered in various ways on occasion, so I can see the desire to have a med-free zone in hopes of not having to feel that feeling, perhaps, but that's where I've had to learn to get creative in choosing which threads, and sometimes other members, I would read and respond to. I have had days in which I strongly wished I could delete or block entire threads so I wouldn't have to keep seeing the title of it pop up repeatedly. I think that would be quite a handy tool and easier to manage than trying to have a totally med-free space.

With meds being the preferred choice of treatment by the majority, it seems the non-medicated folks' only choice is to create the thread space we wish to share and partake in that healthily helps nurture our own individual journeys. Easier said than done when you're in the midst of a heart/body/mind struggle, medicated or not, though.

And even if such space existed, that doesn't mean folks participating in the public forum who prefer medicating won't share their opinions that may include utilizing meds in the non-medicated thread space, and vice-versa.

I sometimes share my treatment methods in spaces where mainly meds are discussed. I never thought of it as being intrusive or uncomfortable for the OP, just sharing what I've experienced relief with in regards to a similar struggle they've come to seek help with.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-03-16), midnightstar (09-08-16), namazu (09-03-16), stef (09-04-16)
Old 09-04-16, 11:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,900 Times in 7,983 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

I don't take meds because I can't for medical reasons. I don't feel any need for a forum for those who don't take meds and it would likely annoy me in any case. Given how many "well have you tried this?" In that supeerior /skeptical tone I'm likely to go super nova and become rude beyond what is allowed. danger danger.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-04-16), midnightstar (09-08-16), namazu (09-04-16)
Old 09-04-16, 08:37 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,880 Times in 6,198 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

We do have a section for Misc. Treatments & Approaches for ADHD. It is mainly for alternative treatments to conventional medications. You may find this thread interesting.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50327
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-04-16), Little Missy (09-05-16), midnightstar (09-08-16), namazu (09-04-16), stef (09-05-16), Unmanagable (09-04-16)
Old 09-05-16, 02:01 AM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
It would be good if there was a Non-medicated AD(H)D forum on here.
For people that either can't take medications due to medical reasons or don't want to take medications for their AD(H)D due to personal reasons.

I think that could help a lot of people of that sort with AD(H)D.

It would help this forum.
I would like to see a specific non medicated ADDForums treatment section that is not considered misc secondary treatment option to medication.

Not because I am against medication, but I do not think that medication is always the best first treatment option.

G

Last edited by mildadhd; 09-05-16 at 02:19 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (09-08-16), namazu (09-05-16), stef (09-05-16)
Old 09-05-16, 03:33 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,336 Times in 9,042 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I would like to see a specific non medicated ADDForums treatment section that is not considered misc secondary treatment option to medication.

Not because I am against medication, but I do not think that medication is always the best first treatment option.

G
There are 6 sections under "Treatment and Management" on the main forum page. Only 1 of these is "Medications".

The medication section happens to be listed at the top because it is by far the most requested section.

That doesn't mean that other ADHD management approaches are not valuable as well.

The "Misc Treatment Approaches" section is called "miscellaneous" because it includes a miscellany of approaches that aren't covered in one of the other 5 treatment and management sections.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (09-05-16), Little Missy (09-05-16), midnightstar (09-08-16), stef (09-05-16)
Old 09-08-16, 08:34 AM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
There are 6 sections under "Treatment and Management" on the main forum page. Only 1 of these is "Medications".

The medication section happens to be listed at the top because it is by far the most requested section.

That doesn't mean that other ADHD management approaches are not valuable as well.

The "Misc Treatment Approaches" section is called "miscellaneous" because it includes a miscellany of approaches that aren't covered in one of the other 5 treatment and management sections.
I do not disagree, although I think it would still be good to have a forum specifically for people who do not take medication.

I will start a thread in the misc section for people who do not take medication, and see how it goes.

G
finallyfound10 (11-17-16), Hermus (09-11-16), midnightstar (09-08-16), namazu (09-08-16), Tetrahedra (09-20-16)