ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-16, 05:03 PM

GrumpyDad is on a distinguished road
Smile Hello from GrumpyDad!

Hello Everyone! I'm from South Dakota and just stumbled upon this forum after researching a new med, Guanfacine (Tenex) that my doctor at Mayo Clinic in MN just put me on to help control transient adult tic disorder. As of today, Oct 12, 2016, I am diagnosed with RLS/PLMS and adult transient tic disorder. I suffer from ADD, brain fog, fatigue, memory loss, upper body twitches & spasms, upper leg cramps, mood irritability and impulsive behavior. I've become a Grumpy Dad who struggles with work and family...

I'm 46, happily married for 20 years and have 5 wonderful children - all still in k-12 school. 6 years ago, a sleep study revealed that I had Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) and sleep apnea. The sleep study tech/doctor prescribed Mirapex (Pramipixole) to treat the RLS even though it never really bothered me. I started having a lot of side effects from it and, after a couple years, started having really bad leg cramps that kept me from sleeping. I was practically burning my legs off with muscle rub each night and asked my doctor to get me on something else because I didn't want to increase the Mirapex due to the side effects - I call them the "hyper" behaviors and won't go into detail here.

My doctor took me off of Mirapex to 'clean out my system' before putting me on something else. Wow - that sucked. Didn't sleep for 4 days. Leg spasms turned into entire body spasms - like someone was electrocuting me in the gut causing me to shake like I was having an epileptic seizure for a few seconds every 30 seconds to a minute. Pure zombieville I'm telling you.

I was out of work for two months while neurologists tried to find the right cocktail for treating my spasms. I ended up on Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Ropinirole (Requip) and have been taking those for the past 3 years. While they have had comparable success with Mirapex in handling the leg cramps and considerable success in controlling the severe body spasms, I still have considerable side affects - mostly fatigue, memory loss and brain fog. My body twitches have also increased. This has really worsened within the last year.

I recently got back from Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. Had a great experience there and highly recommend it. My neurologist was able to rule out cancer, brain degeneration and all the big whammies through a number of tests. He felt pretty confident that the Mirapex and/or Ropinirole had augmented the transient tic disorder that he diagnosed me with and is now treating with Guanfacine (Tenex). And that is what brought me to this site - a search for more info on Tenex.

My Mayo doctor's plan is to see how the Tenex handles my tics over the next month - starting out at 1mg once daily and increasing to twice daily. If that handles the tics (mostly upper body twitches), he wants to wean me off of Ropinirole completely and likely increase my Gabapentin to handle the RLS/PLMS.

I just want to get my mind working again so I can function at work and at home. I'm always tired and my memory and clarity of thought have gone to hell. I am a Grumpy Dad who is like a firecracker with a short fuse. I have very little patience when my kids don't do what I ask them to do. I am aware of my behavior and not happy about it. I always find myself apologizing for it and my family is very understanding and forgiving about it. I think my kids recognize that I'm not well and I know my condition worries them greatly.

I'm Grumpy Dad and praying for a change in my mood, my sleep, my attentiveness, my thinking, my memory, my behavior and the crappy way my body feels. My doctors and my wife tell me I'm young; however, I feel tired, old and grumpy most of the time. I'd like to feel rested, young and happy again. I pray that's not too much to hope for.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyDad For This Useful Post:
someothertime (10-13-16)
Old 10-13-16, 12:52 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 19,229 Times in 11,127 Posts
midnightstar has disabled reputation
Re: Hello from GrumpyDad!

Welcome
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Forever is a long, long time and time has a way of changing things" Big Mama - The Fox and the Hound (Disney)
Old 10-14-16, 12:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,896 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello from GrumpyDad!

Welcome and good luck
Sponsored Links