ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 10-14-16, 07:23 PM

sampeckinpah is on a distinguished road
What do you do for a living?

Hello, Im just wondering if you guys want to share what you do for a career! And how ADHD effects your daily job and how you manage it at work. I need some inspiration, I have been laid off for 5 months from a job i went to college for and I'm feeling pretty hopeless. I feel like having ADHD is going to force me to work in a low paying job for the rest of my life. Is there even any jobs that are good for someone with ADHD? Impulsiveness, bad focus , slow working memory, forgetfulness, etc.. they all seem pretty crippling for any job even with medication. Its been 2 weeks since I started medication and Im trying to learn strategies but I feel very hopeless for any kind of employment. Thanks everyone!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sampeckinpah For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-17-16), acdc01 (10-14-16)
Old 10-14-16, 08:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,557 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you do for a living?

I run on a wheel, and sometimes they give me kibble.

I was pacing outside of work tonight, laughing like I was
raving mad because it struck me just how ridiculous it is.

This job would be hard for anybody. But the way it is hard
makes it something special for someone with ADHD like
myself. It’s become comical, it’s so laughable. It’s almost
like something from a bad sitcom to have someone with
ADHD, severe at that, do this job.

I mean, I was crying, crying hard, but it was in that moment
it really struck me, and so I was laughing in a way that made
me sound like I was losing it.

Career? Haha, what’s that?

I think I have lost the plot.

Um, yeah,
Ian
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-17-16), acdc01 (10-14-16), Little Missy (10-15-16), sampeckinpah (10-14-16), stef (10-15-16)
Old 10-14-16, 08:26 PM

that was a great post, I was picturing everything in my head haha I enjoyed reading that quite a bit especially because I relate to most of it and how well written that was.
aeon (10-17-16), stef (10-15-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-16, 09:03 PM

Thanked 4,009 Times in 2,064 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

I've been working about 20 years as a civil engineer.

It's not actually the low paying jobs that are the easiest for us sometimes, it's the ones that give us the most flexibility which are often the high paying ones.

Adhd causes me to procrastinate, have difficulties paying attention, work slower on some tasks cause I lose focus.

But I still produce good work on time cause I often throw sveral coping solutions at a time on a problem I have. Also, I work smarter, not harder so because my approach is more effective than others, I can finish just as effeciently or even moreso than my counterparts.

One of the biggest problems I have are not doing the things I need to do to get ahead that aren't part of my defined work. Like shmoozing and marketing. That matters more than doing a good job. Also I can keep my performance up but I can't hide my symptoms which make some people think less of me. Finally, I can't bring myself to look for jobs anymore so I stay stuck in the same job I no longer want for a very long time.

I'm pretty much burned out now but I did last for quite a long time. If there are government jobs in your field and they are like the ones where I live, I'd consider applying. By like where I live I mean they won't fire you no matter how much you suck.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-17-16), adhdseeker (01-12-18), sampeckinpah (10-15-16), stef (10-16-16)
Old 10-16-16, 09:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice

I do food. I have done everything from country clubs, restaurants, bars, banquets, hospitals, hotels, camps, and a little teaching thrown in
If your important people will wait for u!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to casper For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-17-16), sampeckinpah (10-16-16)
Old 10-17-16, 12:16 AM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampeckinpah View Post
Hello, Im just wondering if you guys want to share what you do for a career! And how ADHD effects your daily job and how you manage it at work. I need some inspiration, I have been laid off for 5 months from a job i went to college for and I'm feeling pretty hopeless. I feel like having ADHD is going to force me to work in a low paying job for the rest of my life. Is there even any jobs that are good for someone with ADHD? Impulsiveness, bad focus , slow working memory, forgetfulness, etc.. they all seem pretty crippling for any job even with medication. Its been 2 weeks since I started medication and Im trying to learn strategies but I feel very hopeless for any kind of employment. Thanks everyone!
Hi,
I was wondering if you were laid off because of performance issues connected to your ADHD or there was no reason given.
Whats your college major?

-There are many successful biznisman and people with professional careers with ADHD
-even low paying jobs require focus and self control and necessity to overcome your symptoms.
-When i'm at work, I am very productive and not influenced as much by adhd,I'm trying to fugure out why it is .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-17-16), sampeckinpah (10-17-16)
Old 10-17-16, 08:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

Bluechoo is a glorious beacon of lightBluechoo is a glorious beacon of lightBluechoo is a glorious beacon of lightBluechoo is a glorious beacon of lightBluechoo is a glorious beacon of light

I am substitute teaching, for now. It is a decent gig for a bachelor's degree. The flexibility is nice.

I went to school for chemistry as a pre-med student, dropped that idea, then I was not sure what I was going to do. Teaching is kind of fun, but I do not enjoy class-room management, so I am looking at getting started as a private tutor. As a private tutor you are really your own boss, and you can actually make more money than a teacher, especially if you have a STEM background.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bluechoo For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-17-16), acdc01 (10-17-16), Little Missy (10-17-16), sampeckinpah (10-17-16)
Old 10-17-16, 01:03 PM

Thanked 30,370 Times in 13,993 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I work in research and teaching at a university. I'm good at doing research, I'm good at teaching and I enjoy both but I'm so bad at everythung else that academia requires that I'm considering leaving it. I work better with structure and someone looking over my shoulder and giving me deadlines. The flexibility that academia affords and the self motivation and organisation that it requires make it very, very difficult for me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-17-16), acdc01 (10-17-16), adhdseeker (01-12-18), sampeckinpah (10-17-16), stef (10-17-16)
Old 10-17-16, 01:07 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 22,843 Times in 13,503 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a cleaner cause that's the only job I could get
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-17-16), Jenn1202 (11-28-16), sampeckinpah (10-17-16), stef (10-17-16)
Old 10-17-16, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2100 View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if you were laid off because of performance issues connected to your ADHD or there was no reason given.
Whats your college major?

-There are many successful biznisman and people with professional careers with ADHD
-even low paying jobs require focus and self control and necessity to overcome your symptoms.
-When i'm at work, I am very productive and not influenced as much by adhd,I'm trying to fugure out why it is .
I went to trade school for Air conditioning mechanic.
My employer - "I dont think you are fit to be in this job because you have bad problem solving skills, no common sense (i believe they thought this because I have a slow brain processing speed), you are very careless which caused you to make many mistakes and we have almost lost valuable customers from that, and you are very forgetful so you can't get the details when we tell you to do something.

I just sat there and looked at them in disappointment
20thcenturyfox (10-17-16), intothewind (12-17-16)
Old 10-17-16, 04:00 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough
That Would Leave Anybody Gasping for Air....

Quote:
My employer - "I dont think you are fit to be in this job because you have bad problem solving skills, no common sense (i believe they thought this because I have a slow brain processing speed), you are very careless which caused you to make many mistakes and we have almost lost valuable customers from that, and you are very forgetful so you can't get the details when we tell you to do something.

Not that it's anything to joke about, but on the bright side, at least you didn't go ballistic and wind up in jail! Many others would have. Give yourself credit: Not making a bad situation worse was a good first step.

Getting yourself diagnosed, medicated, and starting on some sort of psychosocial treatment program (CBT, MBCT, etc), ideally targeted to ADHD is a good 2nd step.

And regardless of whether you can find a suitable program, getting into a healthy routine of exercise, nutrition, socializing and sleep is usually a big challenge when you are unemployed, as is motivation in general. All 4 are proven to help general cognitive functioning, so anything you can do to ramp up your self-care habits will help you thrive as well as survive.

And coming here and asking a lot of questions, as you have done, is probably a good 4th step.

Career counselling is certainly not my area of expertise, but if you went to a technical school for your mechanical training, could you go back there for either an assessment of your occupational strengths and weaknesses and/or some ideas of related occupations and employers in your area?

The one area that jumps out at me (if you are as socially adept as you seem) would be technical sales, where your mechanical background would help you represent your employer and relate to the customers, but you wouldn't be having to work alone solving problems under time pressure. I think a lot of successful sales people have organizational challenges, which they can compensate for in various ways, including software, apps and secretarial assistance. Just a thought.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (10-17-16), intothewind (12-17-16), sampeckinpah (10-17-16), stef (10-17-16)
Old 10-17-16, 04:31 PM

Re: That Would Leave Anybody Gasping for Air....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thcenturyfox View Post
Getting yourself diagnosed, medicated, and starting on some sort of psychosocial treatment program (CBT, MCBT, etc), ideally targeted to ADHD is a good 2nd step.
I would really like to do CBT or MBCT, actually I think MBCT sounds a little more appeasing to me or could i do both? This is all really good advice, and I have been exercising daily, and seeing a career counselor who actually told me I should get checked for adhd and she turned out to be right haha. Its really hard to find a job, Ive applied for those salesman jobs in mechanical field and nobody ever calls back, maybe because of my inconsistent job list on my resume. I have been in the selection process for a border officer job but would that even be a good job for someone with ADHD? I've been taking my meds daily but I haven't noticed a huge difference, a little bit of a difference but like Im still getting distracted, unmotivated, impulsive and forgetful, could this be too low of a dose? Im on 20 mg generic ritalin sr.
Old 10-17-16, 07:57 PM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

How could you then get a certificate to work as a technician? If you were as bad as your ex-boss had suggested , you would not be able to pass a final exam right?

When I started at my job(technician sort off) my boss told me after a week.
"You have no talent for this work, you have no manual skills,no technical thinking , no understanding of what we are doing here. You are the worst I have even seen. Just go back to painting, because you will never ever work in this trade and forget now about ever owning your own business. "

I had to agree with that, that my skills were far behind compering with others, but insane determination and working smart by creating systems,procedures,checklist and evry day after work I was making notes of how Could I have solved it better and all the mistakes to avoid in the future.

After 3 years I 've had my own business and I think that my knowledge in this trade (15 years now) already exceeded my ex-bosses knowledge,as I did many improvements in regards to efficiency and quality , while his guys are still doing the same mistakes as I was doing while working for him .

That being said, experience can replace your lack off.......whatever you can think of.

I think that many people,especially in construction and repair trade had similar experience when they started as you have had.

I would find another job as soon as possible in air conditioning.
After 2 years of practical experience you will make really good money too.

And i can give you an advice, dont tell anyone you work for or work with ,that you have ADHD. I can't think of one reason that would be helpful,but as soon as they know, it will become a liability sort of for them .
acdc01 (10-17-16), sampeckinpah (10-17-16)
Old 10-17-16, 08:20 PM
Contributor

And one more thing,

The fact that you were able to finish this trade school without medication , may be a sign that you can manage your symptoms even without meds , better then you think .

For me medication wasn't really good for that kind of work that i do ,as a technician.

When i was on adderall , It gave me motivation to work , but also a tunel vision . I wasn't able to see obvious solutions to the problem I have solved many times in the past. It made me think I was able to solve anything , but once the meds would wear off , I would see much better and more efficient solution.

Adderall gave me focus ,which was demonstrated in the way , that i could plan better on the job. I would know I have to take this 16 tools, I would also plan better to increase efficiency. The downside was however sort of a over stimulation or overconfidence. Sometimes I would do a stupid mistake becase I was too confident. Many times however I could't see the obvious solution .I sort of knew that I'm supposed to know it, but I just coun't figure it out. That was a big negative. I went down to 1/2 dosage which was at that time 5mg IR x 2 a day, Original script was 10mg IR 2xday. But eventually just stopped on my onsite jobs days.

I could see good benefits when I was working in my office , but not on the jobsite , because it made me look really dumb in front of my contractors . If you have similar chemistry then I do , then meds may really make you dumb at your work as a technician.

I was on meds only past 2 years. So I could see the difference right away, how it effected me at jobsite, after a month , I was off of it my jobsite days.
I was making less of those small mistakes while on adderal at work , but inability to see the obvious solution just made me abandon the idea of adderal at work.

ritalin didnt do much for me and concerta made me more social .
adhdseeker (01-12-18), sampeckinpah (10-17-16)
Old 10-17-16, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2100 View Post
That being said, experience can replace your lack off.......whatever you can think of.

I think that many people,especially in construction and repair trade had similar experience when they started as you have had.

I would find another job as soon as possible in air conditioning.
After 2 years of practical experience you will make really good money too.

And i can give you an advice, dont tell anyone you work for or work with ,that you have ADHD. I can't think of one reason that would be helpful,but as soon as they know, it will become a liability sort of for them .
That was inspirational! thank you for that, I really wanted to get a job in my trade again but after being laid off and looking for 5 months for another job in this trade, I could not find another one. I was alone most of the time when I was working so when I made a mistake nobody would know except the customer 3 months down the road, then I would get a call back. When I was looking for a job nobody ever wanted to hire me, I told them I would like to have an employer that would provide me with the proper training and not rush me so I dont make mistakes (due to my ADHD - I didnt tell them that tho), I want to believe that I could of done well in this trade if I was diagnosed and had my medication but now I will never know because I cant get another opportunity. So I gave up and started looking for a job that ADHD would work well with but Im just so confused