ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 10-17-16, 08:32 PM

sampeckinpah is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you do for a living?

I think I did well in trade school because I memorized everything in my book and the multiple tests were just easy. Like when i was working I would forget to put panels back on, or forget to screw in a pulley stuff like that. There was definitely times where I didnt know things because I was working alone so I made mistakes and improper diagnosis too. But I would say mostly all of my mistakes were from being careless and I would always want to get the job done fast. I dont know why, I would rush then I would make mistakes
Old 10-17-16, 08:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,545 Times in 6,493 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

I do:
  • accounting (A/R, A/P, payroll, purchasing, tax stuff, bank account management)
  • receptionist (for front door and phone switchboard)
  • office manager
  • IT
  • HR
and sometimes:
  • prepress
  • make plates
  • run digital presses
And throughout it all, that damned phone is ringing.

Without Dexedrine, I am well and truly ******.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-17-16), FlipperTheWhale (12-27-17), sampeckinpah (10-17-16), stef (10-18-16)
Old 10-17-16, 08:34 PM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold
Re: That Would Leave Anybody Gasping for Air....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampeckinpah View Post
I would really like to do CBT or MBCT, actually I think MBCT sounds a little more appeasing to me or could i do both? This is all really good advice, and I have been exercising daily, and seeing a career counselor who actually told me I should get checked for adhd and she turned out to be right haha. Its really hard to find a job, Ive applied for those salesman jobs in mechanical field and nobody ever calls back, maybe because of my inconsistent job list on my resume. I have been in the selection process for a border officer job but would that even be a good job for someone with ADHD? I've been taking my meds daily but I haven't noticed a huge difference, a little bit of a difference but like Im still getting distracted, unmotivated, impulsive and forgetful, could this be too low of a dose? Im on 20 mg generic ritalin sr.

I know what you are going through. Let me just tell you ,that meds for adhd aren' t perfect . If you are low on vitD you will take vidD suplement and it's 100% working for everybody every time. Not these freaking meds.

ADHD medication are not perfect. Thats the reason why you have 1000's of posts about ADHD meds and very little about VitD suplements not working.

ADHD meds try to replicate normal brain chemistry , but so far it hasn't been successful . ADHD meds are not able to replicate healthy brain chemistry.
Even thou they make life of some people better , you kind of feel and know meds didn;t make you as normal as non-ADHD people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-17-16), sampeckinpah (10-17-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-16, 08:41 PM

Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,936 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

I'd get more vitd too if you are low but I wouldn't give up on meds until you've tried higher dosages and different meds. They don't solve all problems but they do seem to help many.

I'm surprised you can't find a job in ac. You'd be in high demand where I live. Would you be willing to relocate to get a job or would that be not worth it?

It really is about setting up a system that works. At least for me anyway. So we can improve a lot once we've had time to set up that system. I wouldnt take a job where you work on your own right away. I'm surprised they had you do that. Seems like poor business practice to let a newbie go all alone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-17-16), sampeckinpah (10-17-16)
Old 10-17-16, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
I'd get more vitd too if you are low but I wouldn't give up on meds until you've tried higher dosages and different meds. They don't solve all problems but they do seem to help many.

I'm surprised you can't find a job in ac. You'd be in high demand where I live. Would you be willing to relocate to get a job or would that be not worth it?

It really is about setting up a system that works. At least for me anyway. So we can improve a lot once we've had time to set up that system. I wouldnt take a job where you work on your own right away. I'm surprised they had you do that. Seems like poor business practice to let a newbie go all alone.
I recently started taking a multi-vitamin, it has vitamin d in it, the daily intake is 1250%, i dont know if thats healthy though. I tried to get a job everywhere in Canada and wanted to move to USA to get a job but it seemed impossible. Yeah it definitely was poor business practice and they even said to me after they fired me, it might be better to find a company that will provide you training because we really didnt.
The Following User Says Thank You to sampeckinpah For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-17-16)
Old 10-17-16, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
I do:
  • accounting (A/R, A/P, payroll, purchasing, tax stuff, bank account management)
  • office manager
  • IT
  • HR
and sometimes:
  • prepress
  • make plates
  • run digital presses

Cheers,
Ian
And Aeon that is literally mind blowing amazing, you are like a super hero, I dont know how you do it. Now that I read this post the first post you made makes a lot more sense haha
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sampeckinpah For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-17-16), stef (10-18-16)
Old 10-17-16, 09:06 PM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That was inspirational! thank you for that, I really wanted to get a job in my trade again but after being laid off and looking for 5 months for another job in this trade, I could not find another one. I was alone most of the time when I was working so when I made a mistake nobody would know except the customer 3 months down the road, then I would get a call back. When I was looking for a job nobody ever wanted to hire me, I told them I would like to have an employer that would provide me with the proper training and not rush me so I dont make mistakes (due to my ADHD - I didnt tell them that tho), I want to believe that I could of done well in this trade if I was diagnosed and had my medication but now I will never know because I cant get another opportunity. So I gave up and started looking for a job that ADHD would work well with but Im just so confused

1.Point
I think that your negative work experience is definitely your employers mistake not yours. How could they let a new guy just out of trade school work all -by himself? Aren;t you as a employer worried if the guy can really do it ? I don't think there is even one person who could work in this trade right away in the field from trade school all by himself. When I hire someone, even if they have 10y of experience in the filed, they will work with me or someone else for at least 1 month, so I definitively know how he thinks, what are the weakness , strong sites, and only then I would slowly let him work allbyhimsleve , but still not everyday and every time. It takes usually 1 year of relatively mistake free work for me to know that the guy can be let all by himselve.

So definitely employer and management mistake.

There will be many more chances , why do you give up so easily?
I could give you many examples where ADHD will effect you negativli so career change will not help you ,if you really want to believe that its the ADHD that is causing all of this .

If you get a job as a salesman you may do this becasue of ADHD:
-forget to call clients
-loose clients info
-loose receits
-mixup contacts info
-make mistakes when making orders
etc...

So you see ,a career change will not help you . If you really believe that only if you had this perfect job where adhd is not and issue, I will bet you anything, that you will end-up changing carer for the rest of your life.Until you finily realize that adhd is not the end of the world and with enogh motivation and positive attitude as training you can have any carrer. There are doctors for good sake with ADHD so why not a border agent ,just for the sake of argument. A doctor with ADHD is not worried about mixing meds for patients?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
intothewind (12-17-16), sampeckinpah (10-17-16)
Old 10-17-16, 09:13 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough
He Lives in Canada, Dude...And It's October!

Quote:

Well, there could be more to it than that, since it's more common in my area, at least, for AC techs to do a broader line of HVAC mechanical. But global warming is a fond hope here, and AC is strictly seasonal.

And not to derail the thread, but a couple of posts have raised Vitamin D, so I will tell a story about that. Vit D deficiency, BTW has well-known links to depression. Several years after my previous depression & ADHD meds stopped working, I noticed that my Vitamin D had never been tested, so I asked about it. Answer was that provincial health care guidelines discourage routine testing because...are you ready?...virtually everyone in Canada is deficient!

But my doc was willing to insist (partly because of the depression dx, and partly because I've had skin cancer, so always wear sun-protection), so I got tested. And sure enough I was moderately deficient. But that was not the end of the story.

So for the next year I faithfully took the 1000 IU/day that was then the guideline. (And all this time the anti-depressants are doing nothing). The next year I was tested again. But it had gone down even more!

So last Dec the doc said to take 3000IU/day for 3 months and test again, which I did. Finally back into the low normal range, and incidentally starting to feel slightly better, despite quitting anti-depressants in anger at some point.

Moral of the story: Living at high latitudes puts you at high risk of Vit D deficiency unless you work outdoors or eat seal blubber. If you are deficient in October (after the summer) you will be even worse by next year. Get tested and take supplements.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
sampeckinpah (10-17-16), stef (10-18-16)
Old 10-17-16, 09:14 PM
Contributor

Quote:
I recently started taking a multi-vitamin, it has vitamin d in it, the daily intake is 1250%, i dont know if thats healthy though. I tried to get a job everywhere in Canada and wanted to move to USA to get a job but it seemed impossible. Yeah it definitely was poor business practice and they even said to me after they fired me, it might be better to find a company that will provide you training because we really didnt.
You can take up to 5000IU a day of Vit D without any problems. Most people are fine on 1000- 3000IU of vit D a day. I have to take even more bc of some healt issue, even 10,000 a day for a month or two. You can even take it on weekly basis and not daily. Your body can store vit D and use it efficiently even on weekly basis of 10,000IU or more of vid D once a week. But its better daily I think.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-17-16), sampeckinpah (10-17-16), stef (10-18-16)
Old 10-17-16, 09:24 PM
Contributor

Quote:
I think I did well in trade school because I memorized everything in my book and the multiple tests were just easy. Like when i was working I would forget to put panels back on, or forget to screw in a pulley stuff like that. There was definitely times where I didnt know things because I was working alone so I made mistakes and improper diagnosis too. But I would say mostly all of my mistakes were from being careless and I would always want to get the job done fast. I dont know why, I would rush then I would make mistakes
Those mistakes are typical sign of stress and being rushed. You brain is so stress out that you just can;t see the obvious mistake. And it's not because of adhd. This happens to everybody in one form or other under stress.
I used do this with measurements. I would measure 20'' but I would write down 30" and similar non-sense.
I have solved this by double checking everything where a mistake can have bad consequences
I still double check , many times I would go back out just to see if I really closed the cover or took that screwdriver . And I still make this mistakes when i rush .

Later in your career, you will still forget to put a panel on ,but it will be just carelessness and not a product of stress.
Old 10-17-16, 09:24 PM

Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,936 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
I do:
  • office manager
  • IT
  • HR
and sometimes:
  • prepress
  • make plates
  • run digital presses

Cheers,
Ian
You should tell your company to give you a raise cause you do the job of 5 people.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-17-16), sampeckinpah (10-18-16), stef (10-18-16)
Old 10-17-16, 09:28 PM

So really I just need to find an employer who is understanding and willing to train me? And just keep taking my ritalin and daily vitamins. It seems like a dream to find a boss who is going to actually want to help me with a job and get better instead of fire me. It makes sense how a career change is not going to help at all, I honestly thought that was going to fix my problems in my life. Its so hard to get a job when there is other people who are better qualified than me and dont have ADHD
The Following User Says Thank You to sampeckinpah For This Useful Post:
stef (10-18-16)
Old 10-17-16, 10:07 PM
Contributor

Quote:
So really I just need to find an employer who is understanding and willing to train me? And just keep taking my ritalin and daily vitamins. It seems like a dream to find a boss who is going to actually want to help me with a job and get better instead of fire me. It makes sense how a career change is not going to help at all, I honestly thought that was going to fix my problems in my life. Its so hard to get a job when there is other people who are better qualified than me and dont have ADHD
-Am not sure about canada, but here in the usa I see electricians, plumbers ,AC guys ,mechanics working in crews made out of experienced guys and fresh out of trade school. You just know it without even asking them . Those new guys are doing less technical work . These gives them opportunity to gather practical experiences. Also boss can see their attitude and if they even consistently show up to work , which has become a huge problem around here. Many times you see a crew of two . Experienced guy with a new guy from trade school.

quote "Its so hard to get a job when there is other people who are better qualified than me and dont have ADHD."
-I can guarantee you there are many guys in technical trade who have ADHD and work just fine. I'm one of them .
-A friend of mine who has a master degree and 2 bachelor degrees ,but no work experiences sent out 650 resumes and was invited to 15 interviews only over the past 2 years. He end up taking an entry level job , but after 2.5 yrs of waiting and just not giving up end up getting a dream job at a good company making really good money . That is some determination .

-well experienced guys are getting also better money . From what I see a new guy from trade school is getting from $12-15h , experienced guy with 5 years of exp. can make $25-$30/h and more per hour and $50/h and more as a subcontractor.
-You have to understand that economy grows, population grows and people are getting older and retiring. That the reasons why many companies are hiring new guys from trade schools .If no one was hiring inexperienced guys, there would be no trade schools left.

Why don't you contact your trade school , aren't they helping with job placement little bit? Also how well are doing your classmates who were studying for AC tech at the same time? Are they employed? The best way to get a job is by recommendation from a friend who is working already in the field.
20thcenturyfox (10-18-16), sampeckinpah (10-18-16), stef (10-18-16)
Old 10-17-16, 10:28 PM

Thanked 14,545 Times in 6,493 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You should tell your company to give you a raise cause you do the job of 5 people.
And yet, every month I make a decision: meds, or food.

Easy choice...get the Dex...makes life and the job somewhat manageable, and largely removes the need to eat!

Um, yeah,
Ian
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-18-16), acdc01 (10-17-16), Pilgrim (10-18-16), sampeckinpah (10-18-16), stef (10-18-16)
Old 10-17-16, 11:41 PM
Contributor

Quote:
When I was looking for a job nobody ever wanted to hire me, I told them I would like to have an employer that would provide me with the proper training and not rush me so I dont make mistakes
By saying this ,you are already implying that you haven't received a proper training and you were making too many mistakes . I think may be a reason for no positive response .

I would just tell them , I 've finished trade school ,little work experience. I think that a good employer will understand your position in the company .
If they are hiring new guys fresh from trade school on regular basis . A good boss already knows that their knowledge is limited. He will train you without you telling him . You could find out more by asking what will your job duties be and then you will get a better idea of what is expected from you .Also if you ask for top dollar you are expected to perform at that level.
acdc01 (10-17-16), sampeckinpah (10-18-16), stef (10-18-16)