ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 10-18-16, 03:42 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,960 Times in 14,774 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you do for a living?

I'm a professional smart as* with a certification in sarcasm.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-18-16), hersenschimmel (01-02-17), JosieK (12-14-16), sampeckinpah (10-18-16)
Old 10-18-16, 03:56 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,910 Times in 13,071 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
And yet, every month I make a decision: meds, or food.
This is very not right, at all.

I'm a PA (personal assistant) in an international law firm.
My boss, is certifiably insane, although fundamentally a good person who appreciates creativity. I tend to make many mistakes and i have to be constantly vigilent; it's pure hell some days, cause he yells. and then other people need stuff too.

Otherwise, some aspects of this really suit me (especially working between French and English).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-18-16), Fuzzy12 (10-18-16), intothewind (12-17-16), sampeckinpah (10-18-16)
Old 10-18-16, 06:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,995 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
This is very not right, at all.

I'm a PA (personal assistant) in an international law firm.
My boss, is certifiably insane, although fundamentally a good person who appreciates creativity. I tend to make many mistakes and i have to be constantly vigilent; it's pure hell some days, cause he yells. and then other people need stuff too.

Otherwise, some aspects of this really suit me (especially working between French and English).
That's not right either. Can you guys ask for a raise and tell him exactly how his yelling affects you respectively?

If he's a nice guy deep down, he'd at least try not to yell
Though yes, success is probably hard.

Aeon, you save the company from having to get IT help which is worth quite a lot. That's not even mentioning everything else you do. If you stood your ground, do you think you'd get a raise or be let go?

I'll have to say, I've stood my ground on something and I'm about to find out the reprocussions. I may be a little too self righteous, I'm not sure so take what I say with a grain of salt.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-18-16), sampeckinpah (10-18-16), stef (10-18-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-16, 06:55 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,910 Times in 13,071 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
That's not right either. Can you guys ask for a raise and tell him exactly how his yelling affects you respectively?

If he's a nice guy deep down, he'd at least try not to yell
Though yes, success is probably hard.
thanks; well I've been working for this person for several years and the issue has come up before (but usually not till I'm screechy, almost in tears and defensive, unfortunately).

it's not just that, it's sometimes speaking very unpleasant, condescending tone of voice that still rattles me. And he's even said not to take it personally.

At the same time he doesnt know how long a certain task will take ie let's say he wants a color printout of a bunch of excel stuff someone sent. He will say "that shouldnt have taken so long!!" or assume I forgot. but it's not just hitting print, because it's one attachment but the table has 10 tabs and each one needs to be reformatted ("landscape; fit all columns on one page").

Of course this constant pressure upsets me, thus doubling the potential for incredibly stupid mistakes which would annoy anyone.

At one point 2 or 3 years ago i finally said, "look if you want me to leave just say so and ill quit but stop making my life miserable" and he said, "no i just want you to improve!" and we stood there looking at each other like idiots for about 5 full seconds.

goodness sorry to hijack this thread! thanks for listening
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-22-16), aeon (10-18-16), Fuzzy12 (10-18-16), sampeckinpah (10-18-16)
Old 10-18-16, 08:09 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,791 Times in 8,902 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I'm a recovering state employee who worked in the vocational rehab arena for over 13 years. Had to resign to save my health, especially after taking on the system to point out multiple ongoing unethical business practices. I absolutely loved working with the students, but could no longer allow myself to be a representative of such willful and blatant wrong doing, especially knowing the effects they were having on the lives of others.

I now do sporadic p/t catering work for a favorite cafe' (when it doesn't entail dead flesh and animal products), help others on their farms with the veggies and harvesting and such, provide child care, provide fur baby care, cook for others, clean for others, craft and create cool stuff for others, teach hula hoop making and plant-based eating tips, and whatever else I can do to contribute, help out, earn some pocket change, or barter to meet my needs.

Prior to all of the above, I was an office manager/parts delivery/counter sales at an auto parts store; waitress at a local family restaurant; waitress/delivery at a local pizza joint; waitress at a local bbq joint; clerk at a local 7-11; manager at a go-cart track; helped cut, load, deliver, and rank fire wood; fast food worker; assistant manager at a convenience/gas store; bill collector at a local resort; cold call salesperson at a local photography studio; p/t industrial cleaner; accounts payable/accounts receivable clerk; and a couple other things that can't be noted on a resume'.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-18-16), Fuzzy12 (10-18-16), sampeckinpah (10-18-16), stef (10-18-16)
Old 10-18-16, 12:08 PM

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Aeon, you save the company from having to get IT help which is worth quite a lot. That's not even mentioning everything else you do. If you stood your ground, do you think you'd get a raise or be let go?
I’m not sure really. But inasmuch as I am privy to the money, both detailed, and in the overall picture, right now I will bide my time, watch and wait.

Thanks,
Ian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-18-16), sampeckinpah (10-18-16), stef (10-18-16)
Old 10-18-16, 03:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

EuropeanADHD is a jewel in the roughEuropeanADHD is a jewel in the roughEuropeanADHD is a jewel in the rough

I'm an underpaid management consultant doing something between IT and business consulting.

I love working with clients and creativity of the job, learning new things, solving practical problems.

I hate the hierarchies in my own company and trying to obey them and to not be sincere and straightforward, the plenty of useless stuff people from my company do internally to show they are useful, sexism. I hate "the consultant type" of people working in my company, i.e. those smiling on the outside but wanting to destroy you on the inside. All for money. And constant travels drive me nuts. I hope I will be able to change soon to something similar but with better conditions.

I'm a very strange consultant, feel I don't fit in very well, I'm too critical. Clients love it, for some reasons. My bosses don't.

I worked in research before but conditions were even worse.

I think we need a revolution. Things are going from bad to worse with several families getting ridiculously rich and the others...

Last edited by EuropeanADHD; 10-18-16 at 03:35 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EuropeanADHD For This Useful Post:
sampeckinpah (10-18-16), stef (10-18-16)
Old 11-15-16, 11:10 AM

ucrenegade is on a distinguished road

considering I think I have SCT and do have diagnosis of

ulcerative colitis
depression (dhiystamia)
autism spectrum
PTSD
anxiety
ADD
Back issues from being stabbed

I can't hold a job to save my life. The sad thing is I could probably work if their were no time limits,people left me alone,and multitasking was not needed, I could go to the bathroom whenever i wanted, and no repetitive heavy lifting but i told my counselor good luck trying to find a job where a boss will let you do that.
The Following User Says Thank You to ucrenegade For This Useful Post:
distracted3737 (01-31-17)
Old 11-15-16, 09:39 PM
Jr Member

DaveyMSD is on a distinguished road

I fix and maintain elevators!

Elevator Technician =)

Elevator Technician from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
GO JAYS GO
Music Aficionado

Feel free to drop me a line, always open to chats!
Matthew
Old 11-16-16, 05:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmanagable View Post
I'm a recovering state employee who worked in the vocational rehab arena for over 13 years.
I love this part!

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (11-16-16)
Old 11-16-16, 04:04 PM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampeckinpah View Post
So really I just need to find an employer who is understanding and willing to train me? And just keep taking my ritalin and daily vitamins. It seems like a dream to find a boss who is going to actually want to help me with a job and get better instead of fire me. It makes sense how a career change is not going to help at all, I honestly thought that was going to fix my problems in my life. Its so hard to get a job when there is other people who are better qualified than me and dont have ADHD
This is called an apprenticeship. You have been taught a skill but have yet to put it to practical use.

I do not have ADHD, but I am VERY familiar with the HVAC industry and I live in the US. In the US they don't allow a tech to go into the field by themselves, they pretty much pair you with an older person who has been doing it for 20 years so they catch all the things you will screw up. It's expected that the new guy will screw up because houses and blue prints don't always match what you learned in the books.

Why can't you go out an apply to another HVAC company and pretend like you JUST got out of school. However, this time, ask about a more experienced person shadowing you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
intothewind (12-17-16)
Old 11-17-16, 01:50 PM

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMSD View Post
I fix and maintain elevators!

Elevator Technician =)
I bet that line of work has its ups and downs.

Thank you, thank you, I’ll be here the rest of the evening, please don’t forget to tip your waitress.

Couldn’t help myself,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
hersenschimmel (01-02-17)
Old 11-18-16, 06:11 AM
Mod-A-holic

Actually,I am just a mom. Wish I could be paid for it-lord knows I have put in my share of overtime.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-18-16), finallyfound10 (01-02-17), Little Missy (11-28-16)
Old 11-28-16, 10:18 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Jenn1202 will become famous soon enough

I'm still trying to figure out "what I wanna do when I grow up". I used to be a software developer but then I decided to quit because I couldn't tolerate my ADD medication anymore so I couldn't focus on my work. Since then I've tried waiting tables, sales (cold calling) and newspaper delivery but none of these jobs seemed to work for me (I got fired or extremely bored within a couple of weeks). A few days ago I started working as a customer service representative, we'll c how it goes.
Rx: 2007-2012: Ritalin LA 30, Ritalin IR 10 X 2; 2013: Daytrana 10; Jan-Jul 2014: Ritalin IR 10mg; Aug 2014: Adderall IR 5mg; Sep 2014: Dex IR 5mg (Barr/Mal); Nov 2015: Zenzedi 5mg; 2016: off meds; Current : Zenzedi 5mg
Dx: 2004: ADHD, 2012: Hyperthyroidism, medication-induced rapid heartbeat/palpitations; 2013: Hashimoto's, PVCs/PACs; 2014: Innocent heart murmur, 2016: Roemheld syndrome and the list goes on and on..
Old 11-30-16, 07:34 PM
Contributor

Goofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to all

I cook for an ADD friendly organization. my faults are over looked as they were not on the two jobs before.My creativity is welcomed with open arms.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goofycook For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-30-16)