ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 12-14-16, 02:10 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Jenn1202 will become famous soon enough
Re: What do you do for a living?

failing at life.
Rx: 2007-2012: Ritalin LA 30, Ritalin IR 10 X 2; 2013: Daytrana 10; Jan-Jul 2014: Ritalin IR 10mg; Aug 2014: Adderall IR 5mg; Sep 2014: Dex IR 5mg (Barr/Mal); Nov 2015: Zenzedi 5mg; 2016: off meds; Current : Zenzedi 5mg
Dx: 2004: ADHD, 2012: Hyperthyroidism, medication-induced rapid heartbeat/palpitations; 2013: Hashimoto's, PVCs/PACs; 2014: Innocent heart murmur, 2016: Roemheld syndrome and the list goes on and on..
The Following User Says Thank You to Jenn1202 For This Useful Post:
distracted3737 (01-31-17)
Old 12-14-16, 03:10 PM

JosieK has a spectacular aura aboutJosieK has a spectacular aura about

I used to work in retail. Now I work at a call center. I always have supervisors getting irritated with me for spending too much time away from my desk. I get too bored and too fidgety to sit for that long.
Old 12-14-16, 03:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

jkimbo will become famous soon enough

I am a tech support for medical professionals. I deal mostly with doctors and nurses and other techs.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-16, 09:29 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

I drive a garbage truck. Keeps me in shape, busy, and entertained. Also pays really well for not needing a degree.
Old 12-14-16, 09:36 PM
Contributor

Smokey405 is a name known to allSmokey405 is a name known to allSmokey405 is a name known to allSmokey405 is a name known to allSmokey405 is a name known to allSmokey405 is a name known to all

Senior accountant for the health department. Prior to that, accountant/office manager/pharmacy tech for a small independent pharmacy.

In both instances, I had the luxury of not being constantly confined in my office. I can get up and move about and currently can go to different departments to address issues and such with them in person. Having that luxury is awesome for me since I am very much on the hyperactive side and hate sitting still or in one place for too long.
Old 12-15-16, 03:44 PM
The Von Kaiser of Moderators

Johnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of light

I'm a web developer who was only veeeerry recently (as in last week) diagnosed. It works really really well for me because:

- I generally get smaller jobs to do with an already put in place system (I did put myself in charge of refactoring our code but only got around halfway done with it before I... got into something else?)

- Lots of places (not *necessarily* this one but others) will allow you to work on your own time, and I know that for me at least working late nights or early mornings or weekends is actually superior because nobody else is around and there's no distraction

- We (and past places) do scrum, which is really good for ADHDers I think because it means instead of getting roped into hours-long meetings every couple months, you have a 15 minute daily meeting and maybe an hour long planning meeting every other week and I hate meetings soooooooo muuuuuuch it hurts

- Along the same lines daily standups force you to think about what you did the day before, at least fake what you're going to do today, and give you a kind of a deadline you have to meet daily just to be able to say you didn't lie yesterday when you said you were going to do something

- Software devs are also kind of notorious for being ADHD so you're probably not going to be alone

- A robust development apparatus at a company really allows an ADHD person to contribute their strengths (all those little flashes of intuition that make people think we're smart or something) while hiding our weaknesses (poor attention to detail? Hey, that's what QA is there for)
Old 12-15-16, 05:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,257 Times in 11,388 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I run around inside a 4000 sq foot ranch home from the '50's listening to XM way too loud with an occasional frisbeeing of food or dog cookies.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-15-16), Fuzzy12 (12-17-16), roflwaffle (12-29-16)
Old 12-17-16, 03:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

intothewind is on a distinguished road

I worked in a similar situation. I was essentially the manaber and technician at a biological supply company.

One aspect of the work required packing shipping and labeling boxes....with no one there, I regularly made expensive mistakes(swapped labels, no icepak, etc) I think any job working alone for ADD folk where mistakes are an issue could be trouble

Ive switched over to environmental education for now, which seems to be a decent fit...though the pay ain't great. Aspiring to more in the future but unsure.
Old 12-20-16, 02:16 AM

fivestar is on a distinguished road

I work on political campaigns. It's perfect for me. Everything is always moving at a million miles an hour with a constant stream of new problems, there's regular hard deadlines (I don't want to be the reason the whole campaign grinds to a halt, right?), and it's something I'm passionate about. In that kind of environment hyperfocus is like a superpower.

The downside is that it's cyclical by nature and the in between campaigns part is rough. I go from running at 100 miles an hour to 0 literally overnight. It's easy to fall into ruts where I feel like I can't get *anything* done, which can be absolutely miserable (I'm sure many of you can relate...).

Still, it's a career where I feel like having ADHD is actually an asset, rather than a hindrance, and I wouldn't trade that for the world.
Old 12-20-16, 03:24 AM

AnnieGreb is on a distinguished road

I work one day a week at a bicycle shop. If I could make a living at this, it would be perfect. I love bikes; I'm busy all the time and changing activities frequently, I get to self-train on modules of my choosing as new products come out. And I get discounts so I can afford my therapy...cycling is great for ADHD! Especially mountain biking.

I went back to school and studied and finished a master's in social work. The idea was to pick up a profession so I can find a job that can support me. In my last years internship, my supervisor basically yelled at me for 6 straight months. I forgot what she said, I forgot how to fill out forms correctly, I lost track of time and went in 10 minutes late to meetings, I forgot things at home and ended up being late for work, I lost my supervisors phone number from my google account...three times. It took me three times as long to complete my documentation as any other intern. I misplaced things, showed up and forgot to prepare an exercise for a group I was leading, etc. I finally said, "maybe I am too disabled to work"...she said, "maybe you are". I graduated and want to fire myself up to look for a job but I just can't do it.
Old 12-29-16, 06:32 PM

roflwaffle is on a distinguished road

I'm a business systems analyst at a fortune 500 megacorp. After I graduated, I was unemployed for 4 years, worked low paying jobs for 3 years, and found the job I'm currently in a little over 4 years ago, so it certainly wasn't easy. I didn't know I had ADHD until maybe 2 years ago, and that was only after my wife and I went to marriage counseling and our therapist referred me for a diagnosis. Coping with ADHD certainly isn't easy, and even after all I've been through I'm still spectacularly ineffective about half the time. Working through everything requires dedication and patience in spades.
Old 12-29-16, 06:44 PM

Thanked 6,474 Times in 3,091 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Working towards my Diploma in Software Development, then hopefully my degree..... so that's the work path i'm looking to go down. I have no idea how i'm actually going to get there in the end though or if I even have what it takes.
Old 01-02-17, 03:15 AM

Thanked 1,555 Times in 856 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a floor/bedside nurse on a busy med-surg unit which is the worst fit for someone with ADHD- Inattentive (IMHO). In Nursing/Healthcare, your chances of getting the kind of job I need which is NOT floor/bedside nursing is to have 1-2 years of floor/bedside nursing experience under your belt.

It's crazy! I am looking for a new job that fits me.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-02-17), stef (01-02-17)
Old 01-02-17, 10:13 AM

hersenschimmel is on a distinguished road

I'm a self-employed front-end developer/designer. Don't have any usefull degree, accept an highschool art degree. I love to draw and be creative, but it takes to much mental effort and the fact that I never finish what I start made me feel talentless and a nobody over the years, resulting in not doing anything whatsoever.

Front-end development/design is easy for me. The only thing that's difficult is the self-employed part. It started out good, because I had enough connections. But along the years I proofed unreliable in answering phones and emails that I lost out on some good clients and jobs. So the jobs aren't falling in my lap like they used to. Also sending invoices and my bookkeeping in general are a disaster.

I'm now trying to figure out if I should try and remain self-employed, or if I should stop and go as employee once again. I know I was miserable as employee. But it does has its benefits.
Old 01-31-17, 11:59 AM
Jr Member

distracted3737 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieGreb View Post
I finally said, "maybe I am too disabled to work"...she said, "maybe you are". I graduated and want to fire myself up to look for a job but I just can't do it.
this is ridiculous, so we are just supposed to spend our lives on ssdi? what a waste that is.

i find my symptoms come and go: at times i'm reasonably functional and able to keep track of my errors. right now it seems less so. i'm sad to read that no one here has figured it out yet: it appears that what we need is not the right job but rather the right people.

if i'm dealing with any of this cos my mom beat me as a kid i'm so f'in mad rn.