ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 02-02-17, 01:24 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [quote]What do you do for a living?[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkimbo View Post
I am a tech support for medical professionals. I deal mostly with doctors and nurses and other techs.
My heart goes out to you.......

Quote:
What do you do for a living?
Clinic nurse who can make computers do some strange things. I have dropped papers and flipped the screen image, I clocked in and cause the computer to start smoking - I think it was because I was early.

The tech guy worked with it for over an hour because he could not find any thing wrong with it except to took a month to load.

Any time a computer or printer messes up the IT guys always ask if I have been in the same room

Actually Printers are my specialty..........

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-02-17), BouCoupDinkyDau (08-08-17)
Old 02-09-17, 12:09 PM

Laneless is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you do for a living?

I currently have two jobs while making a huge career transition. I am in office admin/ management where I take care of several businesses including a storage facility, some commercial and residential real estate property, and a construction company. I handle all of the bookkeeping and bank accounts. I do the AP/AR. I am transitioning into my hair stylist career. Big change, I was super bored. So part of the week I'm in the office, Part of the week I'm behind a chair, and part of the week I'm home with my baby.
Old 02-09-17, 03:23 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,215 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

College teacher.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-17, 05:44 AM

FinallyKnowNow is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: What do you do for a living?

I am a Registered Nurse. It took me 8 years to finish a 4 year degree. Then a non-follow through, on the job, that I was responsible for, could have cost a patient her life, I was diagnosed at age 40. With Dexedrine, I can multitask on the job, am alert for all shifts, and have a ton of energy. I can focus, but I also institute techniques to minimize distractions, and make lists for everything. I have a system, and it works, but if something is off/out of place...even a page torn in a chart....it can be a source of distraction, so I fix it. My co-workers may think I am anal-retentive, but it is a survival tactic, so I minimize distractions and rely on my lists. Everything has to go in my day planner, or it doesn't exist. My husband is very supportive of my forgetfulness, and offers non-judgemental reminders. Now, I have a life, that I didn't know could exist. I didn't know what was wrong. Now, I am almost 1/2 done my master's degree and the future is bright.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FinallyKnowNow For This Useful Post:
BouCoupDinkyDau (08-08-17), Wire Mother (08-09-17)
Old 08-08-17, 07:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,520 Times in 1,267 Posts
BouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond reputeBouCoupDinkyDau has a reputation beyond repute

RN

I make it work. Been working in medicine for over 20 years. I do fine if there is enough novelty from shift to shift (there often is), and not so many problems that I get overwhealmed (there often is as well ). For me, charting like a madman (b/c my memory is a joke), and using sticky notes and highlighters to prioritize tasks/schedules really helps. For me, having a system is a must.

I also abuse caffeine.
The Following User Says Thank You to BouCoupDinkyDau For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-08-17)
Old 12-06-17, 06:32 PM
Jr Member

NightKnight is a jewel in the roughNightKnight is a jewel in the roughNightKnight is a jewel in the rough

For almost 15 years, I've been working in the Security field. It gives me almost everything I need, with minimal stress/anxiety inducing bits.

Nice parts:

- Lots of variety
Most of my job consists of mobile patrol and alarm response. Because of the large area I cover, I go to different places each day, and encounter different people and situations. There's enough excitement/danger to keep it fresh. I have keys for all my sites, which lets me indulge my curiosity, and poke around dark corners and basements of old buildings. Plus, lots of fresh air!

- Working alone
Although it can be good to have a partner during a break & enter, for the most part, I prefer working alone. I don't have to worry about somebody else's personality conflicting with mine, and nobody to judge my work. I can go at my own pace without worrying about keeping up with another person.

- Minimal paperwork
Desk work gives me severe anxiety, and I get antsy very quickly. The amount of writing I need to do is very minimal, and most of what I do have to write is just 10-15 min of typing once in a while. Very lucky that way.

- Excitement!
Yeah it's nothing compared to police/fire kind of stuff, but it's enough to keep me interested and still wanting to do the job all these years later.

Not so nice parts:

- The Potential of more paperwork
Some of the tasks that we handle involve a LOT of desk work and file tracking. A few years ago, we would rotate through this task, and when my turn came around, I'd spend the day having panic/anxiety attacks, and get home completely mentally burned out. Now, the tasks are assigned to specific people, of which I am not one, lucky me!

- Remembering names/faces
I interact with people all day, and even when they are introduced to me, I forget their names almost instantly. Remember details about somebody's description can be very difficult for me as well.

- Boredom
Sometimes there isn't anything happening, or I'm stuck sitting in traffic all day, and the shift just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaags...

- Potentially forgetting things
If I forget my flashlight or gloves somewhere, not really a huge deal. But if I set my master keys down somewhere, hooooo boy that's gonna be a big deal. I have to rely on my routine to know where things are. I ALWAYS put my key set in one of three places, so I can figure out quickly if I screwed up and left them somewhere.

So over-all, I'm very lucky to have a job that I can do well, and that (mostly) keeps my interest. I have times where I get sick of it, and wonder why I've wasted my life away, yadda yadda, but those tend to be passing things when I'm already not feeling good. It's a good gig, I don't have to perform many tasks that are weaknesses for me, and it allows me to use my personal strengths, while providing enough variety to keep me occupied.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NightKnight For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (12-06-17), namazu (12-06-17)